IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

Why isn't the stuff in the D to D converter engineered into a DAC? 

Using Berkeley as an example, seems to me that a $5K+ DAC should handle in incoming signal without needing conversion with a $2K box and additional cables.  Why does the clocking mechanism in the DAC not do the job the an external reclocker does?  Do the designers of DACs "forget" as step and need a fix for their products?  

Understood the utility of a D to D converter when I hooked a computer to a Wadia 861, it had no USB in and the Mac had no SPDIF out.  Wavelength and then an Audiophilleo2 did that job nicely.

Tone with Soul

11 hours ago, barrows said:

There are actually plenty of DACs which will not benefit from a converter like this, unless one prefers the sound of higher jitter.  Just use a good USB source direct into the DAC's USB input, and just do not purchase a DAC which does not have a well implemented USB input, there really is no excuse these days for a DAC to have a poor USB input, the details of getting it "right" are now pretty well understood by most sharp digital engineers.

Now, if one has a "legacy" DAC which they love, the might benefit form  converter like this.

With respect to DAC design, I was hoping that this was the case, that some folks figured it out and particularly those producing $2K+ DACs.  

But you post above also suggests that one needs to use a good USB source...which for this piker, who doesn't understand what most of the people posting on this forum about things like convolution, end points, boxes called Pis, USB reclockers for $3K...a Mac Mini USB out, is that a USB source?  Or is this where some of the gadget boxes come in?

Tone with Soul

Yes, a little strong perhaps on the word or abbreviation choice, perhaps. Apologies to those whom I may have offended.

The guy in the office thing is an observation related to the irony of investing in great music reproduction tools and not actually being a music enthusiast.  Music reproduction gear without the music brings....pride of ownership?  Seems odd, but different strokes.

Have a second hobby, playing guitar, and see the same equipment fixation with folks obsessing over vintage guitars/amps, NOS tubes, scores of effects pedals, boutique builders of the above...and then many demo their stuff with a video and they can't play nor know how to use the tools they acquired because what little they can play sounds off.  Seems unbalanced or misguided; perhaps the obsessive energy ought to be spent on learning how to play? Yes, but different strokes.

Tone with Soul