IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

• 2 weeks later...

Is 45.1548Mhz and 49.152Mhz "purer" in terms of audio timing? Maybe someone more tech savy can enlighten us. 

But the OCXO clocks are already doing such a wonderful job I don't think we will require external clock inputs, but of course we will never know till we hear it in action with external clock input.

I've been trying to find out what OCXO clocks are being used. Just curious. Anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben-M,

I would think so. If you look at the Terminator Plus it has its own  45 and 49Mhz frequency out to be synced with the Gaia, as for users without the TP but would like to have the Gaia in their system, I guess a dedicated external word clock should be in the works.

In all honesty, the double OCXO in the Gaia is already very good on its own. I guess the reason for their modus operandi is for Denafrips to have it own "ecological system". I am assuming here and you know what they say about assumptions being the mother of all F@#K ups. LOL.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

Hi,

The Gaia i2S output is restricted to 1x RJ45 that runs on LVCMOS and the HDMI output that runs on LVDS. Personally I have not tried comparing both of these formats. Maybe I should. I do have a spare Supra Cat 8 lying arnd somewhere. Thanks for the heads up. But TBH, the LVDS is a better connection/preferred connection cause it’s got higher immunity to noise. But no harm trying since it’s just a simple plug in/out. Cheers.

A very good USB implementation is very hard to do with the given real estate in a DAC, and anyways, if it can be done the cost of that DAC would be very expensive, Innous Statement, Taiko Extreme comes to mind. I Guess a 2-box solution is a cost effective solution for those who want to go closer to the pinnacle and have a choice of adding a box to achieve that, and for those who are happy with just the TP, which btw is seriously good can just stay put and enjoy it. Well, that’s my take. Cheers.

2 hours ago, matthias said:

First, Innuous Statement and Taiko Extreme are servers not DACs.

Second, please explain the reason of an additional I2S device when you have USB out from the server and USB in to the DAC.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt,

I’m well aware of the difference between a DAC and a server, having said that, the theory behind the implementation of the USB is the same isn’t it? You can either invest in a TOTL server to clean up the USB or you can do it via the DDC, end of the day it’s about getting the cleanest signal possible. U are free to choose your poison of choice. 

2 hours ago, Dev said:

@Abyss Man nice review on the T+ and Gaia. I might have missed it but can you clarify what is your source ? I have a Terminator and pondering on the upgrade path 🤔

Thanks Dev, they were reviewed independently but never as a combo, although I did mate the Termy and Gaia. The Termy/Gaia combo is really good and I loved.

My source is a bit of a spaghetti, my server is Innous Zenith Mk2 which is in turn connected to the soTm trifecta. The trifecta is master clocked by soTm.

• 5 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, sig8 said:

Please explain how to fix this, sorry have no clue about this. I have few other HDMI cables if that helps. Thanks.

Sig,

This is the setup when you are using the TP, but since yours is a Holo DAC, please refer to the DAC manual and configure accordingly. Hope this helps.

9 hours ago, sig8 said:

I have never used clocks or clock cables for that matter. Any suggestions on which cable to get for connecting T+ and Gaia clocks.

https://audiobacon.net/2018/08/11/the-audiophiles-short-list-the-best-digital-coaxial-cables/

Hi Sig,

This might help I hope. Happy reading.

U will need 2 x 75ohms cables. Try to keep them short. If you don't mind adapters then you can buy RCA terminated cables, get some good adapters. I personally don't use RCA to BNC adapters.

Sig, u might want to have a look see here as well. There is post by @Blake regarding BNC cable and he pretty much sums it up well. 

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/denafrips-product-owners-please-fall-in.30981/

Have a great day ahead and do let us know how the Holo and Gaia team up even though they are not mated as best as they should be. Thank you sir.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Koso said:

One technical question. Iris and Gaia has no on/off (or standby) button? If it is so, why?
Just waiting for my Gaia (should arrive in few days) and noticed this from the photos.:-)

Not required as they use relays to detect incoming voltage. In fact be happy there is one less fuse to worry about or an on/off switch to worry about. No fuse is the best fuse.

5 hours ago, Koso said:

OK, sounds reasonable. I was just little bit confused by photos online, where there is on/off symbol on some, while “setup” label on others under the same Gaias button. So there must have been some reason Denafrips changed this button.

9B7C5CDC-0C92-4E86-8488-7E4EC4016B3E.jpeg

Hi Koso,

Sorry but I never quiet paid attention to this difference. Drop Alvin a mail, he will help you clear your doubts, and congratulations on your new toy. Have fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Iris if used with a TP excels well cause you can clock it with the dual OCXO clocks in the TP. Hermes uses TCXO clocks to reclock and the Gaia uses dual OCXO clocks for clocking.

If money is not an issue I’d go with the Gaia. Hermes with its TCXO clocks should sound very good too, though I’ve not heard it yet. The Iris as an entry level DDC is a serious piece of gear and when used with the TP outperforms most DDC imho. 

As as for me, I went with the Gaia to team it with the TP, but that’s just me. I don’t like sleepless nights, having said this do enjoy your journey and happy listening.