IGNORED

New D/D Converters from Denafrips

On 5/15/2020 at 4:51 AM, ducatirider said:

being all digital do you think there's any sound difference between these and a audiobyte hydra z for example.  i'm looking for a usb to aes converter for a bricasti m1 se.

I'm interested to know whether syncronizing with a master clock makes any difference as well.

Why not go for an old Berkeley Alpha USB? I haven't compared it to any of the modern DDCs, but as far as I ever heard, it's one of the top USB->AES convertors out there. Since you're not trying to get DSD or crazy high-rate PCM, then the Berkeley Alpha USB might be the ticket for you. 

I'm not sure about the master clock, I'm starting to explore the same path, but it's very limiting and you're probably looking at a clock that's more than your DAC...

On 5/11/2020 at 5:08 AM, Blake said:

I am currently running usb in to my Denafrips Terminator, but I would like to use the i2s input so I decided to go ahead and roll the dice and put in my order for the Gaia.  Will report back when it arrives.

Any updates on the Western Front? 

I've got my eye on a Gaia for the DSD512 i2s output too, but I'm really wondering where to get a clock that covers these frequencies as well as the more common 10MHz one, and like 8 outputs...

• 1 month later...

I'm still wondering what the deal is with the clock inputs. Whether or not Denafrips has their own clock in the works, ( @alvin1118) I wish there was a bit of info about where someone could get an outboard clock at these frequencies that would likely beat the built in ones. 

The frequencies aren't "strange" as far as internal clocking goes, I've seen them both for the 5-7 odd years I've been eyeing clock mods, but they are not mainstream for input clock frequencies. I think the SoTM txUSB and SCLK-ex are the only normal, audiophile "master" clock sources I know of that output the 45MHz and 49MHz signals...

For me, I'm trying to get a single master clock with maybe 4-8 outputs that I can then use as a single reference across all my front end components. With the addition of the Gaia and it's unique master clock input frequencies, it seems difficult to find a place for it in my system now. 

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas about a good source for those frequencies that also has the standard, 10MHz one?

6 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Ben-M,

I would think so. If you look at the Terminator Plus it has its own  45 and 49Mhz frequency out to be synced with the Gaia, as for users without the TP but would like to have the Gaia in their system, I guess a dedicated external word clock should be in the works.

Good for you for spotting that one! I had to read to basically the last page of the new Terminator Plus User Manual to find confirmation that that was the usage for the "clock out" function! 

And it's exactly as you said, the Terminator OCXOs are used as Master Clock inputs for the Gaia, or the new Avatar CDP. It's definitely got an "ecosystem" feel to it, but on the other hand, Denafrips did open up their I1s configuartor to anyone, so they've been pretty open in supporting other standards for the end user/owner. I think the overall approach sounds cool, but not sure if it's better or redundant in this case since the USB input and clocking are both upgraded compared to the regular Terminator, and apparently superior clocking compared to the Gaia. 

6 hours ago, bodiebill said:

The Gaia can convert from many inputs to many outputs.

So it look useful to convert to, say, usb to I2S.

However I see no I2S in.

So it looks like there is no benefit if the source already outputs I2S?

For that, there is the one and only Titans Audio Helen. The only D/D that does I2s in->I2s out, that anybody knows of.

So the whole flow there would be:

1. Terminator Plus Master Clocks->Gaia. 

2. USB source->Gaia.

3. Gaia USB->Gaia I2s.

4. Gaia I2s out->Helen I2s in.

5. Helen I2s in->Helen I2s out.

6. Helen I2s out->Terminator Plus I2s in.

Music.

That chain gives me a bit of a laugh, mostly because I've never heard of a DAC sending Master Clock outputs to an upstream device... Maybe I'm behind the times in the External Mster Clocking field...