IGNORED

The DHNRDS-DA Decoder (FA Mode) Best Settings List

I assume Arista ARCD 8212 — I had ripped my CD collection years ago and didn’t keep the version unfortunately. I am working on this because there are some outstanding female vocals with some very problematic areas

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

8 hours ago, jabbr said:

I assume Arista ARCD 8212 — I had ripped my CD collection years ago and didn’t keep the version unfortunately. I am working on this because there are some outstanding female vocals with some very problematic areas

Thanks. I updated the list @ post #2.

mQa is dead!

The new V1.4.5F release of the DHNRDS has had some serious polishing and some updates.  This includes support for the settings method and a newer, easier kind of settings.  I'll be updating my setts for @lucretius's list soon (in a day or so -- busy today.)   I got feedback from my project partner about some issues with the DA processing, so the new DA decoder works even impossibly better.   Also, there is a simplification of the FA decoding (even though the man page might look longer, the actual new commands are simpler/easier to create.  I'll be updating the man page with the old commands further diminished in the doc, but I wanted to create a complete doc on this release.

The big difference is that there is a finer grain of settings, but the settings are simpler -- the best of both worlds.  Many decodings can be done now with the EQ being as simple as '--fcm=--' or '--fcm=--CD' as the typically most complex normal decode.  There is this new 'k' thing also, but that is a secondary level of precsion, where the exact shape of the eq can be changed, and it would be no extra 'k' characters, one or two.  Three 'k' characters brings the decoder back to the original/legacy mode, even then, most of the time, no 'k' characters are really needed.  These are all about 'fine grained' perfection.

The decoder is better yet, and handles more cases, more perfectly.

* Even the start-up message has been polished :-).

John

This is intended as an honest initial encouragment about the new releases V1.4.5F and V1.4.5J.  Both versions act similar, but eventually you'll want V1.4.5J.  I can make demos of any one of these within minutes, but I don't think that it is needed.  The decoder is *REALLY* easy to use now.   This list is simply cut and paste from a manually maintained test table -- these are NOT my official entries yet, but trying to encourage that the complicated manual doesn't mean that decoding is tricky.  (Still can be tricky to make choices only because of hearing issues, but not too bad now.)

Initial/tested/verified decoding results for the V1.4.5F and todays V1.4.5J,
both decode the same, V1.4.5J will produce prettier results.  Note the very good
consistency and the small number of modifiers in the FA initiator (like --fbm=--)

I'll produce formal results for the OFFICAL table later today or tomorrow.

Lots of stuff to do today, including the 'J' release, but it is very safe to use the 'F' release

until I do all of the logistics for the official Windows 'J' version.

Each one of the below is as clean/more clean than any thing that I have demoed
before ...

Anne Murray: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Petula Clark: --fba=--BCD --tone=-13.50  (--fba=--BCD is half strength of --fbm=--)
Carpenters, 1970: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1971: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1972: --fcm=--X, --tone=-13.50 (A little too much sibilance on Top Of the World.)
Carpenters, 1973: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1975: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1976: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Styx, 1977, --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Styx, 1980, --fbm==--X, --tone=-13.475
Supertramp, Crisis: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Supertramp, Crime: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Supertramp, Breakfast: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Supertramp, Quiet: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carly Simon, Greatest Hits: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Linda Ronstadt, 1977: --fam=--CDE, --tone=-13.50 (Fairly light EQ needed, X doesn't work in '--fam')
Linda Ronstadt, Greatest Hits: --fam=--CDE, --tone=-13.50 (light EQ, X doesn't work in '--fam')
The Cars, 2002 Complete Gtst Hits: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
London Philharmonic, 2011 50 Gtst Pieces Classical: --fam=--classical, --tone=-13.50
Judy Collins, Fifth Album: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
ABBA (All orig albums): --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50, --wof=0.91
Phil Collins 1985: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Dionne Warwick, Walk On By 1968: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.00
Carly Rae Jepsen, Kiss (2012 Japanese Deluxe), --fbm=--X, --tone=-13.50

I updated the list at post number #2.

Each one of the below is as clean/more clean than any thing that I have demoed

before ...

Anne Murray: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Petula Clark: --fba=--BCD --tone=-13.50  (--fba=--BCD is half strength of --fbm=--)
Carpenters, 1970: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1971: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1972: --fcm=--X, --tone=-13.50 (A little too much sibilance on Top Of the World.)
Carpenters, 1973: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1975: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carpenters, 1976: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Styx, 1977, --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Styx, 1980, --fbm==--X, --tone=-13.475
Supertramp, Crisis: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Supertramp, Crime: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Supertramp, Breakfast: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Supertramp, Quiet: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Carly Simon, Greatest Hits: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.50
Linda Ronstadt, 1977: --fam=--CDE, --tone=-13.50 (Fairly light EQ needed, X doesn't work in '--fam')
Linda Ronstadt, Greatest Hits: --fam=--CDE, --tone=-13.50 (light EQ, X doesn't work in '--fam')
The Cars, 2002 Complete Gtst Hits: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
London Philharmonic, 2011 50 Gtst Pieces Classical: --fam=--classical, --tone=-13.50
Judy Collins, Fifth Album: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
ABBA (All orig albums): --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50, --wof=0.91
Phil Collins 1985: --fcm=--, --tone=-13.50
Dionne Warwick, Walk On By 1968: --fbm=--, --tone=-13.00
Carly Rae Jepsen, Kiss (2012 Japanese Deluxe), --fbm=--X, --tone=-13.50

mQa is dead!

• 2 weeks later...

We are going to restart & add-to the decode list.  The decoding choices are now VERY simple, and the list might be as much an indicator of the very large number of FA encoded materials as providng the actual decoding parameters.   We are down to two prominent modes, a choice of the classical encoding or not, and a choice of the stereo image manipulation.  I often add tweaks that provide minor improvements or zeroing in, but superior results can be achieved after choosing from a very small set of choices.   Imagine that it used to require perhaps 20-30 parameters AT LEAST, each one with several possible values!!!   The amazing thing is that these fewer parameters result in decodes MORE ACCURATE than when using dozens of parameters...

There HAS been a delay, but over the next weeks I'll be contributing some much better examples.   The Beatles results are showing the ability to reach back across multiple generations of damage (it is an artifact of the way that DA works.)  The damage mostly happens once, then subsequent cycles don't make it much worse.  It is so easy to hear the little details in the vocals, and the crickets in one recording sound real.

John

This is a note for people who might be trying their own decoding.   I have noticed either a change in my perception or a change in the behavior of the decoder.   You MIGHT want to try adding the 'm' submode, like --fbm=--mk or --fcm=--m.   I have noticed that the special LF EQ isn't always correct.  On some recordings, it smooths out the lower MF distortion and sometimes not.  The difference isn't major, but if you are being very precise, there can be a difference.

During this several days of 'playing with decoding', I have been testing a LOT, and had noticed this 'm' thing a few days ago, and finally decided to mention it.  (like all things when listening, one needs to be careful -- hearing does change!!!)

John

• 2 weeks later...

The decoding list really needs to be brought up to date, and I will be focusing on it about 1/2 or more of my time for at least several days.  One thing that worries me, especially after this two layer decode that I tried to do -- my judgement is NOT always the best.  When I add to the list, there will be a 'quality' entry of sorts.  This entry will necessarily be MY opinion, and based upon the improvement over the original.

Normally, I don't listen to the 'original' CDs, because they usually sound bad to me.  However, I have to be more critical on the decodes for the 'quality' entry to be meaningful.   This means that the nice, useful --skip command on the decoder will help doing A/B during realtime listening and decoding.  If the decode result is not as good as the original, then the quality will be like a '0' or '1'.  If the result is better than the original, then maybe a '3'.  If it is a lot better than the original, then the quality level will be '5'.

There is another kind of quality that might need to be added later, where other people who try might give feedback?  The other thing about when I do decodes -- I need to log every one, and usually that requires paper (YUCK!!).  I'll be updating my real-time play facility to log my runs, and then optionally create a log into a master text file.  Keeping all of this information together is going to be a bit of a challenge!!!

John

I don't want interest to disappear -- I have been very busy, and have been working on the list - but being interrupted.  I am definitely a major slow down on this matter, but keep needing to do weird little upgrades (last one was 352.8/384k.)  Every darned time I open up the code, then something else calls for help.   I am hoping to start again on my additions to the list very soon!!!

John

• 1 month later...

Artist:

Bruce Hornsby & The Range

Title (Format):

The Way It Is (CD)

Original Year:

Label:

RCA

Release Country (Year):     

US (1986)

Catalog Number:

PCD1-5904

Barcode:

0 7863-55904-2

Number of Tracks:

External Links:

https://www.discogs.com/Bruce-Hornsby-And-The-Range-The-Way-It-Is/release/6496548

Submitted By:

@rando

DA Commands:

--fcd --tone=-33+N --next --fcd --next --fcd --wof=0.707 --woa=1.19 --pe120=3,0.060

--pe375=K,0.150--pe1k=K,0.095 --pe9k=K,-.200 --pe12k=K,-.200

Comments:  DA V1.5.7D

• 5 weeks later...