Jump to content
IGNORED

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player


Recommended Posts

I've found that there is no general rule to follow - previously, foobar2000 was always knocked out because the quality was too poor - with my latest, 2nd hand laptop, foobar2000 was neck and neck with Media Monkey, my preferred player up to that point; in fact, foobar was slightly ahead in some ways.

 

Why should this be? Perhaps the latest version straightened out some kinks, perhaps there was a better match between this hardware and the way the software operated - I would say, every time you change the hardware, and every time a new version of the software comes out, double check that the ordering of subjective quality hasn't changed ... just in case, 🙂.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I've found that there is no general rule to follow - previously, foobar2000 was always knocked out because the quality was too poor - with my latest, 2nd hand laptop, foobar2000 was neck and neck with Media Monkey, my preferred player up to that point; in fact, foobar was slightly ahead in some ways.

 

Why should this be? Perhaps the latest version straightened out some kinks, perhaps there was a better match between this hardware and the way the software operated - I would say, every time you change the hardware, and every time a new version of the software comes out, double check that the ordering of subjective quality hasn't changed ... just in case, 🙂.

 

  Perhaps you need to use some high quality S/W such as JRiver on something better than a 2nd hand Laptop ? ¬¬

 

 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Wow! Someone still using Media Monkey!

 

No complaints from me, just hadn’t heard anyone discuss it for about a decade. 

 

The story is, that I wanted to get decent, best SQ from my previous, HP, laptop - went through the usual suspects, and looked at what other software was available - it just happened to be on the queue.

 

Turned out that it has excellent options, for setting plenty of the parameters "that matter" - think the way @PeterSt does it, with his player. Fine tuning these really made a difference; and gave me quality well above what the others did.

Frank

 

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

 

 

Over and out.

.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fas42 said:

I've found that there is no general rule to follow - previously, foobar2000 was always knocked out because the quality was too poor - with my latest, 2nd hand laptop, foobar2000 was neck and neck with Media Monkey, my preferred player up to that point; in fact, foobar was slightly ahead in some ways.

 

Why should this be? Perhaps the latest version straightened out some kinks, perhaps there was a better match between this hardware and the way the software operated - I would say, every time you change the hardware, and every time a new version of the software comes out, double check that the ordering of subjective quality hasn't changed ... just in case, 🙂.

I have tried foobar from versions 1.3 till 1.5 . Very similar results. I don't think it has to do with the computer, though the computer by itself can impart sound. I think the more important factor would be the operating system. All my comparisons were done with windows10. Can you check if your other laptop also runs windows 10? Different versions of OS can have different kernel stacks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

funnny this thread show up tonite...i have just upgraded to jriver 26 yesterday and just tried audirvana first time (windows version).  Jriver has so many features, but seems bloated...i was just thinking i would want something simple to work out of the box that supported dsd.  I haven't done any comparison testing, but i like the simple interface, and i didn't have to google to get it working out of the box like jriver or foobar with dsd. 

 

Is volumio the only player that has a self booting image (good for streamlined os for audio) that supports dsd?

I wish there were more software players that had a self booting image that would support dsd right after boot without hassle of configuring?  I downloaded volumio, but have tried it yet...maybe in a couple days.

 

I also have licensed copies of audiogate and hqplayer and they both sound great, but don't care for the gui...not paying for roon....will likely stick with jriver, but do wish there was something simpler and with better interface than what is out there that also sounds good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

funnny this thread show up tonite...i have just upgraded to jriver 26 yesterday and just tried audirvana first time (windows version).  Jriver has so many features, but seems bloated...i was just thinking i would want something simple to work out of the box that supported dsd.  I haven't done any comparison testing, but i like the simple interface, and i didn't have to google to get it working out of the box like jriver or foobar with dsd. 

 

Is volumio the only player that has a self booting image (good for streamlined os for audio) that supports dsd?

I wish there were more software players that had a self booting image that would support dsd right after boot without hassle of configuring?  I downloaded volumio, but have tried it yet...maybe in a couple days.

 

I also have licensed copies of audiogate and hqplayer and they both sound great, but don't care for the gui...not paying for roon....will likely stick with jriver, but do wish there was something simpler and with better interface than what is out there that also sounds good.

 

I found that JRiver 26 had a steep learning curve. :$You also need to enable it to play from  System Memory.

 However, JRiver 26 can do many other things including conversion of Video formats which may save you from needing other paid software.

 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Link to post
Share on other sites

... + Hysolid and maybe others only USB?

 

@manueljenkin what in your view would be the best alt. to fb2k for an ethernet/non-USB system PC [ASIO/Dante Virtual Souncard] > RedNet device > DAC - tyia

My digital system is wired ethernet (RedNet/Dante) but strictly offline. I don't download or stream music from the internet.

System here

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, One and a half said:

WTFPlay is only available on Linux OS.  Now there's a *steep* learning curve, not for this little black duck. 

 

 

You don't need Linux to try the wtf. The image is burned on the usb stick from which the computer with any operating system is started. To understand how to use it is very easy, there are simple instructions online. The settings are minimal. The sound is very good, as it was already said. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Iving said:

... + Hysolid and maybe others only USB?

 

@manueljenkin what in your view would be the best alt. to fb2k for an ethernet/non-USB system PC [ASIO/Dante Virtual Souncard] > RedNet device > DAC - tyia

Unfortunately my experience there is limited. You can try jriver or roon as they are known to play very well with network audio. Or the same players in the list you can try if they work.

 

There are multiple linux distros other than wtfplay just for audio - daphile, Gentoo player etc.

 

Maybe the owner of Uptone Audio might have better suggestions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, manueljenkin said:

Unfortunately my experience there is limited. You can try jriver or roon as they are known to play very well with network audio. Or the same players in the list you can try if they work.

 

There are multiple linux distros other than wtfplay just for audio - daphile, Gentoo player etc.

 

Maybe the owner of Uptone Audio might have better suggestions. 

 

ty

 

Commercial/subscription players are anathema to me. I am adamant about this. Your post began with "most players are free" - and I was drawn in! I like fb2k partly for its simplicity. My listening environment matters. I do not want any third party to do my thinking for me, make any suggestions whatsoever - or remind me of commerce when I am listening to music. I want to experience music alone - offline. Call me old-fashioned. I shan't care.

 

DVS requires Windows. No Linux.

 

Appreciate your OP - and thank you for your reply - saves some mucking about 🙂

My digital system is wired ethernet (RedNet/Dante) but strictly offline. I don't download or stream music from the internet.

System here

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Iving said:

 

ty

 

Commercial/subscription players are anathema to me. I am adamant about this. Your post began with "most players are free" - and I was drawn in! I like fb2k partly for its simplicity. My listening environment matters. I do not want any third party to do my thinking for me, make any suggestions whatsoever - or remind me of commerce when I am listening to music. I want to experience music alone - offline. Call me old-fashioned. I shan't care.

 

DVS requires Windows. No Linux.

 

Appreciate your OP - and thank you for your reply - saves some mucking about 🙂

Can you try smallplayer? Or ulilith? Both of them are free.

 

Or you can do this, just go to the BASS audio library development page. You'll see links to maybe a hundred music players. Try the appealing ones and report back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, manueljenkin said:

Can you try smallplayer? Or ulilith? Both of them are free.

 

Or you can do this, just go to the BASS audio library development page. You'll see links to maybe a hundred music players. Try the appealing ones and report back?

 

Many thanks

Have made a note.

First priority is sort out bad clusters on a new master Drive from which I have made backups. Only CMD chkdsk revealed the problem when copying failed. Sometimes I just hate IT.

My digital system is wired ethernet (RedNet/Dante) but strictly offline. I don't download or stream music from the internet.

System here

Link to post
Share on other sites

What a great comparison.

I'm digging Jukebox 2112. I like its interface, the album artwork is wide form taking up half of the screen. It looks really good. I'm in the process of finding images on the net to replace the usual square jpegs. The player has inbuilt equalizer, replay gain and many more customisable settings. And it has VU meters!

N.B. it's not free at $20. I'm not affiliated, but I am a very happy user.

I'd love to know what you think of the audio quality. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nonsynchro said:

What a great comparison.

I'm digging Jukebox 2112. I like its interface, the album artwork is wide form taking up half of the screen. It looks really good. I'm in the process of finding images on the net to replace the usual square jpegs. The player has inbuilt equalizer, replay gain and many more customisable settings. And it has VU meters!

N.B. it's not free at $20. I'm not affiliated, but I am a very happy user.

I'd love to know what you think of the audio quality. 

I'd love to try it at some point of time. It's a windows Store app right? I came across this but sidelined it since it was paid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Norton said:


Wtfplay is an ultra simple “OS on a stick”,  you don’t need to know Linux to use it (just as you don’t to use a Linux based streamer) and it has an excellent manual.  More significant reasons for not using it may be that it has no gui (text-based control via simple interface or command line),  no networking and doesn’t handle gaps between tracks particularly well.  But it is incredibly simple and fast in use, to my ears closer to transparency than any other replay software I’ve used and of course, it’s free of charge.

thanks for your knowledge on wtfplay....can you confirm when you say no networking, so you have to have your music stored locally?  Also, you can't control it from remote node? (both local storage and command line interface only option of playing?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...