IGNORED

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player

17 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

thanks for your knowledge on wtfplay....can you confirm when you say no networking, so you have to have your music stored locally?  Also, you can't control it from remote node? (both local storage and command line interface only option of playing?)

Yes you have to have your music on a drive in or attached to the PC you’ve booted with wtfplay.  No networking, so no remote (unless you count a wireless keyboard).

I’ve tended to use it mostly for RBCD to date, but tried it for the first time yesterday with  native DSD 256 into my Oppo 205 and was blown away by: a. the fact that it just worked (native DSD via Linux) and b. the SQ - an intense, detailed,  “edge of your seat” rendition that I’ve not  heard before with these files.

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

do they have a command where you can play a play list or all files in one directory ?  if so, it may be worth the effort to set up, but if you have to issue a command to play every song, that sounds a bit tedious and not worth the time.

i remember trying jplay and if i remember, it was command line driven too, and sounded phenomenal...

It has a keyboard- based UI where you can build a playlist  without needing command line.  I find it’s actually quicker to use than a GUI.

It’s so simple and well documented that I went from finding  the download to playing music in about 15 mins and there’s no charge, so my advice is just try it.

• 1 year later...
On 5/6/2021 at 1:53 AM, manueljenkin said:

Is 16x exclusive to phasure NOS1, or can other DACs support it as well. He couldn't get it to work at 16x with adi2 yet.

Just FYI I have used XXHE 16x into my Oppo205 with no problem.  I would have thought that any DAC that can accept 704/768 would work.