IGNORED

Subjective comparison of Software Music Player

• 2 months later...

@manueljenkin, that is a decent assessment of XXHE...takes a little more to get it set up but once setup it does pretty much all the PC optimisations automatically for you and sounds better than anything else out there, especially when used with NOS dacs.  2.11 is the current version, so you should also download that one to get the latest improvements.

Next step up is to get the RAM-OS where XXHE and W10 is pre-installed on a SSD.  Once the PC has booted, you just pop out the SSD and both the OS and XXHE is running from RAM...so simple and the next level up for sound to have no hard drive in the computer.

When it comes to paying for playback software I am firmly of the opinion that the authors considerable development time should be reimbursed, but for what it is the price for XXHE is peanuts.

Enjoy.

Ah, yes, XXHE will mess with the OS so a dedicated audio PC is the best solution, or at least a dedicated SSD to put in your PC just for when you want to use XXHE (use a hotswap bay).  Of course there is the PC that @PeterStputs together which fits hand-in-glove with XXHE.  I used to build my own PC's for audio but lately I just bought the ready-made turnkey unit from Peter...so much easier and you get the most from the software without having to install anything.

2 hours ago, robocop said:

...the Holo May Dac looks very good from what I'm reading.

Do all the processing in Xxhighend and pass it through a NOS dac no filters.

I came 'this' close to buying a May dac for streaming and other non-critical duties but baulked in the end because I could not get a demo.  Who knows, I may yet get one but would be surprised if it ran with the NOS1a...I do love surprises though.