IGNORED

Article: Review | RAAL-requisite SR1a Earfield Headphone Monitor

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, tmarshl said:

Thanks.   I have had audiophile speaker systems for many years.   Due to downsizing in retirement, I had to get rid of my MBL Radialstrahler speakers, and I was afraid I would never recapture that experience.  But the Raal SR1a "earfield monitors" have proven me wrong.  I don't miss having speakers at all!

I've heard the Radialstrahler's and they are superb. But I do understand what the Raal's have done for you. I assembled the speaker based system I wanted for the past two decades, finally,  but I find myself listening to the Raals, 2/3rds of the time. 

And I never, ever, expected this. 

JC

11 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Chris, I was sure you wouldnt leave out any stars for the RAALS, but when I happened to look up the review last night, at the top of the review, here, it shows four out of five?

JC

That's the average for everyone who gave a star rating to the article. You can click on it too and give it 5 stars. That will push up the average!

18 minutes ago, austinpop said:

That's the average for everyone who gave a star rating to the article. You can click on it too and give it 5 stars. That will push up the average!

Thanks for clarifying, I should have noted that. I new there was no way Chris would give it less than extra stars, and certainly not less than the max.

JC

• 2 months later...
On 8/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, tmarshl said:

Due to downsizing in retirement, I had to get rid of my MBL Radialstrahler speakers, and I was afraid I would never recapture that experience.  But the Raal SR1a "earfield monitors" have proven me wrong.  I don't miss having speakers at all!

Wait ... Are you telling us that the SR1a meet or exceed the sound of the $70k (for just the speakers, not the associated amps) MBLs?!  Would you mind elucidating? How do they meet and fall short of your system that would have been a down payment on a house for me?

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, yyz said:

I have the SR1a and the new HSA-1b amp from RAAL in for demo. I was not able to get the new RAAL silver cable for this combo which is supposed to be even better. This RAAL pairs is an incredible system and very much like may brilliant Thiel CS3.7 which has professional DRC done and implemented as ROON Convolution files (in other words it sounds perfect). These headphones are so close to that sound, wow!

I tried the SR1a with my Benchmark HPA4 preamp and single AHB2 amp with a Delta Sigma Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro DAC. It was too hot on top and underpowered. It was close to 85% on the volume for moderate volume. Next week I am getting my second AHB2 for my Thiel CS3.7's to run in mono and I bet that that will be an excellent power source. I think a warm DAC will make it also very good with the Benchmark stack. Though I doubt ANY 2 channel amp will be as good as this RAAL HSA-1b preamp/headphone amp (no amp interface or speaker wires to cross).

I heard my warm sounding SACD player, the Sony SCD-1 (with mods), on the Benchmark stack and it was close to the HSA-1b in sound though underpowered in AHB2 stereo mode.

BTW - thanks to this thread I was able to hear this stuff.

Happy New Year. 

Excellent!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Currently streaming DISK 2 of Santana: The Woodstock Experience. I guess I can now say I was at Woodstock. This disk sounds incredible on the SR1a and HSA-1b. Perfect amount of bass without overwhelming the sound. I recently demoed a $36K speaker with about $45K gear with this same Santana disk. That demo left me fatigued and bummed out. The SR1a makes me feel like I am at the concert.

The speaker demo had obvious room acoustic issues. That is also such a cool think about headphones, the room is shown the door.

23 hours ago, yyz said:

I have the SR1a and the new HSA-1b amp from RAAL in for demo. I was not able to get the new RAAL silver cable for this combo which is supposed to be even better. This RAAL pairs is an incredible system and very much like may brilliant Thiel CS3.7 which has professional DRC done and implemented as ROON Convolution files (in other words it sounds perfect). These headphones are so close to that sound, wow!

I tried the SR1a with my Benchmark HPA4 preamp and single AHB2 amp with a Delta Sigma Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro DAC. It was too hot on top and underpowered. It was close to 85% on the volume for moderate volume. Next week I am getting my second AHB2 for my Thiel CS3.7's to run in mono and I bet that that will be an excellent power source. I think a warm DAC will make it also very good with the Benchmark stack. Though I doubt ANY 2 channel amp will be as good as this RAAL HSA-1b preamp/headphone amp (no amp interface or speaker wires to cross).

I heard my warm sounding SACD player, the Sony SCD-1 (with mods), on the Benchmark stack and it was close to the HSA-1b in sound though underpowered in AHB2 stereo mode.

BTW - thanks to this thread I was able to hear this stuff.

Happy New Year. 

I'm not familiar with the new RAAL Silver cable, and cannot find a reference to it on their website? 

1 hour ago, yyz said:

After more listening sessions I have decided to get the HSA-1b. Crossing the Amp Interface and the speaker wires just cannot be as good as a direct connection with the HSA-1b.  The SR1a is so good that I do not want to short change it with an external amp.

This is an amazing review of the HSA-1b. 

https://forum.headphones.com/t/raal-requisite-hsa-1b-switch-drive-amplifier-review/9973?u=mrcypruz

Very interesting review, thanks for posting it. While I agree that having the amp connected via the SR1a interface isn't optimal, as good as the HSA-1b appears to be, losing the preamp that I am currently using in the system is not something I would choose to give up. And, as good as the HSA-1b seems, an integrated amplifier at this price is not something I can possibly imagine equaling a truly great stand alone amplifier, and preamp combination, (at far greater cost, of course) much as I wish they would somehow be able to forgo the interface. Just my thoughts. Although I am truly surprised at the level sound quality, and the specific references to midrange liquidity, etc., which aligns strongly with my preferences, that the HSA-1b would appear to provide. It is  a screaming bargain if all of that is accurate, especially as it would place it in a  tiny category of solid state amplification that offers at least some meaningful modicum of cherished tube characteristics. 

JC

The have not released it yet. I read it was $1050 on Head-fi. I hope to get one from the RAAL dealer next week to have a listen. Though the stock cable is really working for me.

In a few posts above I said that the Sony SCD-1 via my great Benchmark HPA4 preamp into the 2 channel amp and then to the INTERFACE TO AMPLIFIER was almost as good as direct into the HSA-1b. I take that back after more comparisons. The HSA-1b is so much better. 

I also did a power cord comparison with the SR1a and the HSA-1b. Normally most "audiophile" cords that I have, Virtual Dynamics, Shunyta (sp?) and others sound similar. However, with the RAAL combo I was easily able to tell differences.  

33 minutes ago, yyz said:

The have not released it yet. I read it was $1050 on Head-fi. I hope to get one from the RAAL dealer next week to have a listen. Though the stock cable is really working for me.

In a few posts above I said that the Sony SCD-1 via my great Benchmark HPA4 preamp into the 2 channel amp and then to the INTERFACE TO AMPLIFIER was almost as good as direct into the HSA-1b. I take that back after more comparisons. The HSA-1b is so much better. 

I also did a power cord comparison with the SR1a and the HSA-1b. Normally most "audiophile" cords that I have, Virtual Dynamics, Shunyta (sp?) and others sound similar. However, with the RAAL combo I was easily able to tell differences.  

Thanks. Any idea of the length of the cable? The original is a bit limiting. 

3 minutes ago, TubeLover said:

Very interesting review, thanks for posting it. While I agree that having the amp connected via the SR1a interface isn't optimal, as good as the HSA-1b appears to be, losing the preamp that I am currently using in the system is not something I would choose to give up. And, as good as the HSA-1b seems, an integrated amplifier at this price is not something I can possibly imagine equaling a truly great stand alone amplifier, and preamp combination, (at far greater cost, of course) much as I wish they would somehow be able to forgo the interface. Just my thoughts. Although I am truly surprised at the level sound quality, and the specific references to midrange liquidity, etc., which aligns strongly with my preferences, that the HSA-1b would appear to provide. It is  a screaming bargain if all of that is accurate, especially as it would place it in a  tiny category of solid state amplification that offers at least some meaningful modicum of cherished tube characteristics. 

JC

For me cost does not equate better quality, especially in todays HiFi world.  However, I am not a tube guy so I do not know if this also applies to tube gear.

I do think the SR1a needs a warm sounding DAC. The HSA-1b is a bit warm (not annoyingly warm). I am using a backup DAC for  these listening sessions. I am looking to get the Halo  Audio KTE DAC and it should be great with the HSA-1b. I am also looking at the AudioByte Hydra VOX | ZAP | HUB. Likely getting both.

Here are some complaints with the SR1a:

1) not as comfortable as my Meze Empy. The SR1a is very light but it is not easy fitting on my bald head. Some hair would help with these headphone. Though this is a nitpick.

2) I am listening too loud and can damage my hearing if I do too much of this. 

3) I cannot really work with these headphones on. You need to stop and listen. My Meze is great for work.

4 hours ago, yyz said:

I am listening too loud and can damage my hearing if I do too much of this.

I am using a decibelmeter app on my phone for that. Holding the phone 2.5 cm away from the driver. I usually do not go further then 83db on the peaks.

When i listen to my speakers I measure at the listening position.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

I am just getting too carried away with this new toy. I will adjust the volume to better levels going forward.

I was commenting on a Headphone website about my desire to try a warmer DAC to tame a bit of harshness I hear with the Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro. I was given a great list of DACs that are considered warm sounding. However, the thing that was suggested to do first was to apply some DSP to the headphones. I run ROON so I am now trying to figure out a setting that I like. I should have thought of this myself and tonight I created 3 filter preset settings based on my 3 listening requirements:

1) Thiel CS3.7 - All Filters off except Convolution filter (by https://accuratesound.ca/)

2) Meze Empyrean - Bypass All Filters

3) RAAL SR1a - All Filters off except Parametric EQ filter 

I am going to use the "Brickwall" or "Fast Roll off - minimum" filter on the Matrix DACs filter settings as the baseline and fine tune that with ROON Parametric EQ.

5 hours ago, yyz said:

I was commenting on a Headphone website about my desire to try a warmer DAC to tame a bit of harshness I hear with the Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro. 

Or try a different amp, which many here have suggested.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

7 hours ago, ShawnC said:

Or try a different amp, which many here have suggested.

I have tried the Benchmark AHB2 with the RAAL Interface to amp +Audience speaker wire. It was not as good as this RAAL headphone amp made specifically for the HSA-1a. The very last resort would be to spend money on another amp with a warm signature. Crossing that Interface to amp and speaker wire do not interest me as being the best solution.

After a few minutes with the ROON Parametric EQ I made a very slight adjustment on the treble and I also boosted the bass a tiny bit below 100 Hz. Now that sound is perfect. No fatigue. I was listening until 3AM last night to some hard rock and it was perfect. This is the type of music that can be fatiguing.

I will buy a much better DAC in about 6 months, the AudioByte VOX | ZAP | HUB and it may negate the need for the treble adjustment.

I should not have sold my Benchmark DAC3B last week. It would have been a better candidate for the Parametric EQ over the Matrix. 

I was saying that the HSA-1b is a great amp with the SR1a. Well today I bought another amp, the CODA CSib integrated amp (Sept 2018 build)  that maybe also good with the SR1a. I bought it for my KEF LS50s in another room from where the HSA-1b will hopefully reside. I will hook up the amp interface and compare wit he HSA-1b. It is 150 | 300 in 8 and 4 Ohm. The first 18 watts are Class A. It should sound rather good with the SR1a. It will be nice to have 2 rooms where I can listen to the SR1a.

BTW - I was listening to the Waterboys on the SR1a last night and wow what an experience. I tried that same music on my Theil CS3.7 speakers and it was actually more enjoyable on the SR1a. However, I am severely underpowering the CS3.7's and will have mono blocks on them sometime very soon (already ordered). I expect the Theil to be the winner but the SR1a is sure making quite the impression with me.