Jump to content
IGNORED

Metrum Bankrupt


Recommended Posts

Don’t know if this topic came up, I didn’t see it here.

 

Metrum Acoustics is no more. Their designer as some know had moved on a while back and is part of Sonnet Audio , building what looks like it could have easily been a Metrum dac.

 

i have their Pavane Level 3 and find that on my system is nothing short of exceptional . 

 

Sure hope those of us who are owners don’t have any repair issues.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A similar situation with Resonessence labs, except we don’t know why they seem to have disappeared.

 

I’m coming round to the view others hold here  that the Audiophile media are not that interested in the consumer: on the sites that were all too happy to give  (merited) glowing editorial reviews for these products and influenced purchase, nothing now in the way of investigative journalism on closures, consumer rights and the situation it leaves owners in who have shelled  out ££££. 

 

Lesson in this, to me at least, is don’t buy expensive kit from small outfits unless you are prepared to write off the warranty, driver, firmware & repair availability and resale value, if circumstances arise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Norton said:

Lesson in this, to me at least, is don’t buy expensive kit from small outfits unless you are prepared to write off the warranty, driver, firmware & repair availability and resale value, if circumstances arise.

 

I agree in principle, but the trouble is that "audiophile" brands are almost all "small outfits". 

my blog

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that’s it right. It seems the major players that stick around are a premium to buy into. So the surface look is that you get the same esoteric sound quality but you pay massive amounts more for the company to be long term viable.

 

Sounds catch 22 ish....

 

kinda thinking this story is as old as audiophile equipment is... many have fallen and many of those built dam good sounding gear 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 5:13 AM, hopkins said:

 

I agree in principle, but the trouble is that "audiophile" brands are almost all "small outfits". 

 

Indeed.  As I look over to my system, I am pretty sure that my speakers, DAC, and amplifier were produced by companies made up of a grand total of 2 guys.

 

But we are at risk with larger companies as well. If my Sony Blu player has problems, it is off to the landfill.  Same with my LG tv.  Not worth fixing out of warranty, if you can even find a tech.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:07 AM, Kimo said:

 

Indeed.  As I look over to my system, I am pretty sure that my speakers, DAC, and amplifier were produced by companies made up of a grand total of 2 guys.

 

But we are at risk with larger companies as well. If my Sony Blu player has problems, it is off to the landfill.  Same with my LG tv.  Not worth fixing out of warranty, if you can even find a tech.  

 

 

And, bingo, my crappy LG tv just quit.  Could be the LEDs, could be the input board, could be the power board, though the boards looked fine.  It is going to the curb this weekend.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, Norton said:

A similar situation with Resonessence labs, except we don’t know why they seem to have disappeared.

 

I’m coming round to the view others hold here  that the Audiophile media are not that interested in the consumer: on the sites that were all too happy to give  (merited) glowing editorial reviews for these products and influenced purchase, nothing now in the way of investigative journalism on closures, consumer rights and the situation it leaves owners in who have shelled  out ££££. 

 

Lesson in this, to me at least, is don’t buy expensive kit from small outfits unless you are prepared to write off the warranty, driver, firmware & repair availability and resale value, if circumstances arise.

Yeah, when I saw the title is was surprised I hadn't seen this on any audio sites. Including here. Metrum has been a real mainstay for years now, up and down the performance tiers. That's sad news. 

 

Good news about Sonnet Audio, though. I've had my eye on some of their developing stuff and I'm excited for them. 

 

As far as how to mitigate any of this, I try to buy used and buy stable products that already have a good track record for firmware, part quality, repairability, etc. It's all a gamble, so at least buying used let's you chop some of that premium off the top, and gets you a more proven product, even if there may be no more warranty or upgrade support. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

fear no more, guys: Metrum Acoustics will be back in all its glory, Cees Ruijtenberg included, this coming August :)

Qnap HS-251+ NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a ZeroZone 19v/5A LPS) > Lumin U1 Mini (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

 

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U1 Mini > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

fear no more, guys: Metrum Acoustics will be back in all its glory, Cees Ruijtenberg included, this coming August :)

 

Indeed

 

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/07/metrum-acoustics-relaunch-2020.html#more

 

and what about Sonnet Audio when Metrum Acoustics will be back?

 

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, matthias said:

 

Indeed

 

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/07/metrum-acoustics-relaunch-2020.html#more

 

and what about Sonnet Audio when Metrum Acoustics will be back?

 

Matt


 

One of the new partners is Lion Kwaaijtaal. He is also the manufacturer and I believe the designer of Audyn, Aaron and Sovereign amplifiers and more.

 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers with scan speak illuminator drivers.

Raal SR1a

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...