IGNORED

Slow down CPU and RAM? Lower voltage?

Hello.

This thread would generally be posted in the servers forum, but I'm posting here as hopefully it's a more targeted audience: I remember extensive discussions some years ago in the JPlay forum, and I was wondering if there would be benefits to be had if applied to my Roon Bridge PC running WS2019 with AO 3.00 with Audiophileshell (AudioPC in the signature below). People in JPlay used to report improvements when lowering the CPU and RAM speed, and the voltage, in the JPlay AudioPC. Not sure if this is outdated now or applicable for my case?

Thank you!

Horacio

My understanding is that, lowering CPU/RAM speed and voltage is to lower the noise thus improve the SQ, music sounds more relaxed.  However, doing so somehow compromises the system's robustness and speed thus impacts the dynamics of music playback.  We had put up with that compromise until recently when there're several major advancements in CPU, RAM, passive cooling, LPSU, and networking that allow and motivate innovative folks to go the other way around: turn on hyper-threading, run CPU at full throttle without compromising the SQ.

Since I'm still running Haswell CPU, I'm happy with lowered speed CPU/RAM and voltage.  But for folks with more modern CPU, RAM, motherboards, killer LPSU such as SR7 or Optimo Duo 3 just to name two, killer switches such as Melco or JCAT Gold or SOtM or EtherRegen, and upsampling oriented, by all means go for the high speed racing.

Just two cents.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

Thanks for the input.

My motherboard is Intel S1200KPR with Xeon E3 1265 lv2, 6 years old. I basically copied AudioPhil's machine from back then. I believe he still uses it and his manual recommends not turning on hyper-threading. I run a linear PSU, and have an etherRegen on the way.

Suggests I should lower voltage then?

AudioPhil, are you running with lower voltage and /or speed?