IGNORED

OBJECTIVELY, is there any sound improvement ??

48 minutes ago, Archimago said:

1. Don't worry about the "ringing" of DACs. Impulse response ringing is a result of the "illegal" signal fed into the DAC as discussed here. You're not going to "hear" any ringing (even if Meridian all those years ago thought minimum phase upsampling filters were a good idea for their DACs 🙂

So are you saying that you do not hear the differences between minimum-phase, linear-phase, and the spectrum of possible filter variation in between those extremes?

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

So are you saying that you do not hear the differences between minimum-phase, linear-phase, and the spectrum of possible filter variation in between those extremes?

Only if the filtering effect is extreme like what they did with the PonoPlayer resulting in significant frequency domain effects and aliasing. Otherwise there is no difference except for some relatively minor group delay.

Remember, even extreme minimum vs. linear filtering was poorly heard in a blind test years ago. That's the data and it jives well with my own listening and those I know who have tried it with a more controlled procedure.

What's your take?

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

My take is the extra processing required by digital circuits may change the electrical noise environment enough, to "do the damage" - an ambitious CD player I heard sounded best when that part of its internals was disabled - just because there is a change, doesn't mean that what one thinks is the reason, is in fact the true cause ... 😉.

On 5/23/2020 at 2:49 AM, Superdad said:

Well if you don't hear differences between digital filter settings, I really can't help you. x-D

I and others spent many hours fine tuning filter parameters with iZotope Advanced in the old Audirvana+, and there is not a doubt that (on a good system) even very small changes can be heard.  There was a whole long thread about it with people comparing notes and settings:

I don't know why you think you think digital filters are no big deal since:

a) A lot of effort goes into them by many top DAC designers;

b) HQ Player, whose raison d'être is its many advanced SRC and SDM algorithms makes it easy to compare and hear a wide range of filter and dither effects;

c) You yourself published a whole blog post on an intermediate "Goldilocks" filter you came up with in SoX

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/musings-more-fun-with-digital-filters.html

The question is which filter sounds/measures most accurate? Not as obvious.

4 hours ago, Summit said:

Well Archimago wrote:

"Don't worry about the "ringing" of DACs. Impulse response ringing is a result of the "illegal" signal fed into the DAC as discussed here. You're not going to "hear" any ringing (even if Meridian all those years ago thought minimum phase upsampling filters were a good idea for their DACs."

and

"Only if the filtering effect is extreme like what they did with the PonoPlayer resulting in significant frequency domain effects and aliasing. Otherwise there is no difference except for some relatively minor group delay.

Remember, even extreme minimum vs. linear filtering was poorly heard in a blind test years ago. That's the data and it jives well with my own listening and those I know who have tried it with a more controlled procedure."

I was questioning those assertions as I found filter parameters to have a very large affect on SQ and instrument realism/attack. Not hard to train ones ear to it after a few hours of bracketing with iZotope Advanced. Get it just right and you know it right away. B|

7 hours ago, Summit said:

There is no universal best. That is the point of having the options.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

9 minutes ago, 4est said:

There is no universal best. That is the point of having the options.

When it comes to filters, this is especially true. There's no way to make the perfect filter. I look at them like balloons. Push in one side and the other sides sticks out, and vice versa. It's all about what people like. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

@Superdad seemed to believe that one filter type is clearly better than the others. I don’t think so. It is easy to hear the difference between gears and filters. But it is not as easy to tell which one sounds correct, because both has there flaws. This is especially true when we discuss different filters where you literally have to choose between plague (ringing) and cholera (phase error). The same applies if we measure the filtering effects on ringing or phases instead. Which is most correct? 

21 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, I never said that! (Though in the end I had clear preferences based on: the DAC I was using at the time, the type of music I was listening to, and my room/speakers.) Please reread what I wrote.  I was simply pushing back on @Archimago's notion that DAC filters parameters are:

a) Not that important unless the filter is really bad;

b) Not readily discernible.

Anyone--with a decent system and a sense of what real (acoustic) instruments sound like in a real space--who has spent some time with Audirvana/iZotope/SoX parameters or HQ Player's many truly excellent SRC algorithms knows that he is wrong. 9_9

That is great when you may apprehend my question and attempt to discuss filers more objectively :P.

Which filter sounds/measures most accurate and why?

2 minutes ago, Summit said:

That is great when you may apprehend my question and attempt to discuss filers more objectively :P.

Which filter sounds/measures most accurate and why?

I'm quite sure the answer lies in " garbage field theorem' ... push down garbage in one area and it will pop up in another. Which means yet more engineering band-aids

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

20 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I'm quite sure the answer lies in " garbage field theorem' ... push down garbage in one area and it will pop up in another. Which means yet more engineering band-aids

If that is the case a NOS DAC would be the most accurate…

23 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's inherently subjective, in this objective thread :~)

The answers will of course depend on one's processor between his/her ears and upon which type of music is being played. 

I do not think so. No filter is totally transparent, but that dosen't mean that the accuracy can't be tested between different models and types. 

I understand the concept of filters, but my DAC doesn't have selectable filters and it makes me think the designer should just choose what fits the design (perhaps a simple minded view of a complicated issue).  I feel like:  I don't need no stinking filters.  :)

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

56 minutes ago, Summit said:

If that is the case a NOS DAC would be the most accurate…

there is always the difference between theoretical science and applied science.... what models well in theory may not be practical in the limits of current material science. I do find that with the two NOS DAC's I've had (Metrum Octave and multibit Gungnir) there was only a marginal difference with applying oversampling vs

with a simple Chord Mojo the difference/improvement was easily detected. no idea why.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

AIEEE -- the thing about digital filters and 'ringing' is all confused and silly.  Here are the absolute facts:

1)  The ripples that you see with brickwall FIR filters are NOT ringing, but they are Gibbs effect that results from a residue from MISSING frequency components.

2)The Gibbs type effect 'moves around' depending on the kind of filter (minimum phase, linear phase) based upon different delays vs. frequency, so the time location where the missing frequency components would have been.  So, the timing of the missing residue moves around relative to the rest of the signal.  (Kind of backwards wrt reality though.)

3) Even though some people say that you cannot hear the difference between minimum and linear phase, it MIGHT be possible in some circumstances -- but I haven't measured it myself...  Let me explain, a linear phase filter is 'perfect' except for a fixed delay vs. frequency.  A short (few taps) 'minimum phase' filter will have variable delay vs frequency, but a short filter cannot have much delay.   A very long (many taps) 'minimum phase' filter might have audible effects because of long relative time delays.  I don't know if they are audible, but a long (lots of taps) delay minimum phase filter MIGHT have audible artifacts.  It is up to those who measure these things WRT real world hearing tests to determine the answer'  @Archimago has  done some tests and I trust his results, whatever they are!!!

John

1 hour ago, John Dyson said:

AIEEE -- the thing about digital filters and 'ringing' is all confused and silly.  Here are the absolute facts:

1)  The ripples that you see with brickwall FIR filters are NOT ringing, but they are Gibbs effect that results from a residue from MISSING frequency components.

2)The Gibbs type effect 'moves around' depending on the kind of filter (minimum phase, linear phase) based upon different delays vs. frequency, so the time location where the missing frequency components would have been.  So, the timing of the missing residue moves around relative to the rest of the signal.  (Kind of backwards wrt reality though.)

3) Even though some people say that you cannot hear the difference between minimum and linear phase, it MIGHT be possible in some circumstances -- but I haven't measured it myself...  Let me explain, a linear phase filter is 'perfect' except for a fixed delay vs. frequency.  A short (few taps) 'minimum phase' filter will have variable delay vs frequency, but a short filter cannot have much delay.   A very long (many taps) 'minimum phase' filter might have audible effects because of long relative time delays.  I don't know if they are audible, but a long (lots of taps) delay minimum phase filter MIGHT have audible artifacts.  It is up to those who measure these things WRT real world hearing tests to determine the answer'  @Archimago has  done some tests and I trust his results, whatever they are!!!

John

Filters can have some level of ripple in the pass-band (not ringing) That's determined by the filter design. For FIR filters it's often a tradeoff between the sharpness (slope) of the filter, amount of out-of-band attenuation, and the amount of pass-band ripple for the same number of taps. Here's a cool on-line resource for constructing and visualizing various filters: http://t-filter.engineerjs.com/

For example, 113 taps filter is needed to get the pass-band ripple to be under 5dB in this example:

image.thumb.png.37a674a35049c32f6144f0a0e2659cf0.png

And if I want to reduce the ripple to under 0.01dB, this requires 235 taps, all else being equal:

image.thumb.png.c14fd5657c5d728757a37315740a6bb2.png

With modern, mega-tap filters, the ripple in the pass-band can be made fully insignificant.

59 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Filters can have some level of ripple in the pass-band (not ringing) That's determined by the filter design. For FIR filters it's often a tradeoff between the sharpness (slope) of the filter, amount of out-of-band attenuation, and the amount of pass-band ripple for the same number of taps. Here's a cool on-line resource for constructing and visualizing various filters: http://t-filter.engineerjs.com/

For example, 113 taps filter is needed to get the pass-band ripple to be under 5dB in this example:

image.thumb.png.37a674a35049c32f6144f0a0e2659cf0.png

And if I want to reduce the ripple to under 0.01dB, this requires 235 taps, all else being equal:

image.thumb.png.c14fd5657c5d728757a37315740a6bb2.png

With modern, mega-tap filters, the ripple in the pass-band can be made fully insignificant.

You are right about the frequency domain ripple also.  I am sorry that I didn't specify that I was speaking about the time domain Gibbs effect pseudo-ringing.  The pure frequency domain ripple, as long as it is below a certain number of dB isn't really all that important.

Also, the shape of the response curve can make some difference.

However, my hot-button is about the time domain ripples (not 'ripple')  that are attributed to 'ringing', which it technically is NOT ringing.

If I wrote 'ripple' somewhere, it was intended to be descriptive -- because all of my thinking was about the audiblility aspects, and most would likely be from relative delays -- by the time you are 40dB down, it starts on the way of inaudibiliity.

John