IGNORED

OBJECTIVELY, is there any sound improvement ??

8 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

i have read about soundstage before and it is more dependent on the original recording, speakers, and room corrections than "good enough" measurements of modern day dacs...

But clearly different gear has different soundstaging characteristics. Or, switch among the different digital filtering options in a dac - soundstage is clearly one parameter that is affected.

What are the measurable differences in these filters that cause the shift in soundstage presentation?

On 4/26/2020 at 6:39 PM, beerandmusic said:

And for further clarification, I understand the subjective side, and fully appreciate the subjective side...e.g. although a SCHIIT dac may not measure well, it does sound VERY GOOD (yes, i have owned a couple), and I could hear a difference.  For the purpose of this thread, I am not looking for any subjective input, just objective input.  I just know my budget and i want ethernet (without having to daisy chain usb toys).   I will decide on an ethernet dac at some point after using my own subjective ears.....at this point I AM only looking for OBJECTIVE input.

Objectively, there are many things one can measure that will alter the sound. DACs that don’t “ring”, for instance, should sound better than those that do. DACs that have excessive jitter should sound poorer than those that have little jitter. Delta-sigma DACs should sound better than R2R DACs (Ladder DACs) because once you get past 16 bits, it becomes harder and harder to maintain resistor linearity. But many of the most expensive (and arguably considered the best) DACs are R2R or some variation there of. It seems to me that execution of a design is more important than the methodology used. This seems to be true in so many things. 
BTW, the latest Yggdrasil from Schiit measures extremely well, and sounds unbelievably good easily besting other contenders such as the Chord Hugo TT + the Chord M Scaler, or the Benchmark 3. 

George

54 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

BTW, the latest Yggdrasil from Schiit measures extremely well, and sounds unbelievably good easily besting other contenders such as the Chord Hugo TT + the Chord M Scaler, or the Benchmark 3. 

In which measurements does the latest Yggy best these other DACs? Can you post or link to them? Just curious. I do like that Schiit started posting complete measurements for their products directly on their website. That's way better than most of the competition, kudos to them!

9 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

In which measurements does the latest Yggy best these other DACs? Can you post or link to them? Just curious. I do like that Schiit started posting complete measurements for their products directly on their website. That's way better than most of the competition, kudos to them!

Then you’ve already seem them. Check Headfi.com as well.

George

21 minutes ago, One and a half said:

the connected cables make an audible difference, despite one manufacturer stating it won't make a difference. So the noise still gets through.

Many believe that you can "shut the gate after the horse has bolted",  but like you, I don't accept that is normally the case . ¬¬

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Objectively, there are many things one can measure that will alter the sound. DACs that don’t “ring”, for instance, should sound better than those that do. DACs that have excessive jitter should sound poorer than those that have little jitter. Delta-sigma DACs should sound better than R2R DACs (Ladder DACs) because once you get past 16 bits, it becomes harder and harder to maintain resistor linearity. But many of the most expensive (and arguably considered the best) DACs are R2R or some variation there of. It seems to me that execution of a design is more important than the methodology used. This seems to be true in so many things. 

what is new in the yggi? and did they make the same mod(s) on the gungnir?

26 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

what is new in the yggi? and did they make the same mod(s) on the gungnir?

Well, among other things, the “new” Yiggy has a totally redesigned analog section, a totally new design for the USB input, and some changes in the R2R DAC including a revised filter. 
I don’t know about the Gungnir.

George

11 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Well, among other things, the “new” Yiggy has a totally redesigned analog section, a totally new design for the USB input, and some changes in the R2R DAC including a revised filter. 

The Yggy has an R2R DAC?  I thought this (Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ x 4 (2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration)  meant it has 4 DAC chips...

these, to be exact:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/AD5791BRUZ?qs=sGAEpiMZZMswix2y39yldfRSUiTQKynFD3UY2S5SRBo%3D

No electron left behind.

14 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I don't get it..i thought it was supposed to be transparent before...

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

The Yggy has an R2R DAC?  I thought this (Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ x 4 (2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration)  meant it has 4 DAC chips...

these, to be exact:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Analog-Devices/AD5791BRUZ?qs=sGAEpiMZZMswix2y39yldfRSUiTQKynFD3UY2S5SRBo%3D

Go to page 19 of the data sheet. It shows the resistor ladder network. You do realize that R2R is another way of saying a ladder DAC, do you not?

George

7 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Go to page 19 of the data sheet. It shows the resistor ladder network. You do realize that R2R is another way of saying a ladder DAC, do you not?

Yes, but I thought those were made up of a bunch of resistors and looked like this. I guess I am wrong.

spring2-05.jpg

No electron left behind.

6 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, but I thought those were made up of a bunch of resistors and looked like this. I guess I am wrong.

spring2-05.jpg

The resistor ladder is just part of the DAC. An R2R DAC also needs a voltage reference and a precision comparator. 

George

On 4/28/2020 at 2:50 PM, gmgraves said:

...seems to me that execution of a design is more important than the methodology used.

Very true. This applies to the implementation of off-the-shelf delta-sigma DAC chips is well as to R2R DACS.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Is the measurement of IMD a typical one for DACs and, if so, what is considered good performance?  Regarding IMD, is there any advantage to delta-sigma vs. R2R vs. FPGA-based (if that is the right terminology).  

I've read a bit about IMD, but don't fully get it.  Thanks.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

3 hours ago, PYP said:

Is the measurement of IMD a typical one for DACs and, if so, what is considered good performance?  Regarding IMD, is there any advantage to delta-sigma vs. R2R vs. FPGA-based (if that is the right terminology).  

I've read a bit about IMD, but don't fully get it.  Thanks.   

Harmonic Distortion and Intermodulation Distortion are very closely related. Both are caused by the non-linearity of the device. All analog devices have some non-linearity, so amps, DACs, preamps, headphones, and speakers all generate some level of HD and IMD. Digital devices can introduce non-linearities through computation, also.

Harmonic distortion is easy to see when testing with a single tone, measuring integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. IMD is easier to see and measure when two or more frequencies are present, since they interact to form additional frequencies by addition and subtraction, which in turn, interact, and produce more distortion frequencies.

Your DAC (Mola Mola Tambaqui) has very low HD/IMD levels, and so is very close to a perfectly linear device.

As far as I know, it's possible to produce a near-linear device using any of these methods, but the simplest one is S-D. R2R can also be made linear but with a lot more work (read: more money). 

2 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

As far as I know, it's possible to produce a near-linear device using any of these methods, but the simplest one is S-D. R2R can also be made linear but with a lot more work (read: more money). 

On your website, I didn't see that your Distort audibility tester provides IMD data.  Perhaps I missed that or it is the "more to come" part.  Just curious...  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, PYP said:

On your website, I didn't see that your Distort audibility tester provides IMD data.  Perhaps I missed that or it is the "more to come" part.  Just curious...  

DISTORT creates IMD by virtue of simulating a non-linear transfer function. With a single tone, this results in harmonic distortion. With two or more frequencies it would produce IMD. You can see this when you select a two-tone test signal.

I didn't put in a measurement for IMD, but certainly something that could be added.

58 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

DISTORT creates IMD by virtue of simulating a non-linear transfer function. With a single tone, this results in harmonic distortion. With two or more frequencies it would produce IMD. You can see this when you select a two-tone test signal.

I didn't put in a measurement for IMD, but certainly something that could be added.

Here's an example. The same exact non-linearity tested with one and two tones:

One tone (1kHz) - harmonic distortion:

image.thumb.png.9be9a82387064936152bb065f94e238a.png

Two tones (18.5k/19.5k) - IMD:

image.thumb.png.763468fb8b4c07d4b03bed1f3614fcc1.png