IGNORED

Internetradio on rpi streamer devices?

1 hour ago, Tucker said:

Hi

How can I get internetradio to raspberry pi streamer through upnp, just like I stream Tidal to the rpi with bubbleupnp or mplayer? Or are the only option to stream internetradio through airplay?

Thanks

Does it need to be UPnP?

Running Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite as your player will give you a nice Internet radio interface and a great search feature.

image.png.53ff8dcebfd7fd0d11ce39f4b34ccc55.png

If you do it this way, you'll want to run Squeezelite on the RPI.  You can run LMS on the RPI or on another machine on your network.  I know that GentooPlayer (which is the software I use on an RPI) has LMS and Squeezelite (and Squeezelite-R2) built in.

If you really need the player to be UPnP, LMS has a plugin you can install that allows LMS to talk to a UPnP player. 

image.png.04376aa4a09782232f2f7fa48cbedcbd.png

GentooPlayer has Mpd, Upmpdcli, and Bubbleupnp (as well as other software) built in too.

If you go this route and want to control LMS with your iOS device (you mentioned Airplay), look at an iOS app called iPeng.

I'm sure this isn't the only solution, but it's the first one I think of (because LMS has a great Internet radio interface).

@Tucker, are you after an internet radio providing method that just involves your Android or iOS device & the Raspberry Pi UPnP renderer

or,

are you willing to also involve a networked device (which could be the Raspberry Pi itself) to run an internet radio providing media server application, like the excellent LMS as suggested by @clipper?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

@clipper: No, It doesnt need to be over upnp. I am currently using dietpi w/allo gui and there are many built in streamingservices in that f.ex. sqeeze lite, shairport... I just cant understand why the major radio app makers like tunein can have native possibility to stream through upnp just like mplayer and bubbleupnp. It only has chromecast. I will check more into LMS and its possibilities.

@Cebolla: I'm foremost after as easy as possible way to stream internet radio. Not lots of custom installations and scriptswriting. Willing to use networked device, but wondered if there were possible without. 

My primary controldevice is Android phone but also have an ipad.

3 hours ago, Tucker said:

@clipper: No, It doesnt need to be over upnp. I am currently using dietpi w/allo gui and there are many built in streamingservices in that f.ex. sqeeze lite, shairport... I just cant understand why the major radio app makers like tunein can have native possibility to stream through upnp just like mplayer and bubbleupnp. It only has chromecast. I will check more into LMS and its possibilities.

@Cebolla: I'm foremost after as easy as possible way to stream internet radio. Not lots of custom installations and scriptswriting. Willing to use networked device, but wondered if there were possible without. 

LMS uses TuneIn.

There are some good apps that will control LMS (including one that I used to use when I messed around with Android: Orange Squeeze).

5 hours ago, Tucker said:

I just cant understand why the major radio app makers like tunein can have native possibility to stream through upnp just like mplayer and bubbleupnp. It only has chromecast.

5 hours ago, Tucker said:

I'm foremost after as easy as possible way to stream internet radio. Not lots of custom installations and scriptswriting. Willing to use networked device, but wondered if there were possible without. 

The BubbleUPnP Android app does have some features which allows it to get its controlled device to play streams provided by internet radio station apps on the same Android device:

- It has native support of the XiiaLive Internet Radio app, so that any stream that you try playing on XiiaLive on the Android device will automatically be redirected to BubbleUPnP's controlled device to play instead. The main issue with XiiaLive is that only uses Shoutcast & UberStations to source it's internet radio streams, so isn't as comprehensive as other internet radio apps like TuneIn. However, you can easily add your own radio station stream links to XiiaLive and it seems to support most audio stream formats, including HLS AAC streams (eg, as used by BBC Radio's best quality) & Ogg FLAC streams (eg, as used by Paradise Radio's best quality).

To enable XiiaLive app support, select the XiiaLive control option in the Internet Radio section of BubbleUPnP's settings;

- It supports the Android Share action. So, for example, you can select a radio station in the TuneIn app,share it to the BubbleUPnP app as the target and its controlled device should then play the shared stream. Bear in mind that it isn't guaranteed that the sending app will share a playable stream every time with the BubbleUPnP app - TuneIn's BBC radio station streams aren't all shared properly with BubbleUPnP, for example.

I've found the RadioDroid app's use of Android Share more reliable than the TuneIn app's, especially when sharing to XiiaLive (with XiiaLive support enabled in BubbleUPnP) instead of (directly to) BubbleUPnP. Unfortunately the TuneIn app doesn't list the XiiaLive app as a Share target.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

You can add internet stream URLs easily to the web radio menu in Volumio and many other players.  I think Volumio does it a bit better than others I've tried in terms of ease of configuration, ease of use, and user friendliness of the GUI.  But that's probably purely a matter of taste.  As I recall, RuneAudio and PiCorePlayer do a very nice job of this too.  And DietPi offers several options you can explore.  Try a few and see what you like best.