IGNORED

Tag editor for MacOS - Meta - anyone using it?

I like to do QC on downloads before adding them to my Music library. I've found some downloads have multiple tags of the same type on a track e.g. 2 different ARTIST tags. You can only see one ARTIST in iTunes (and I assume Music) but I've found it can cause iTunes to have issues with sorting. You also can't fix the problem in iTunes (because you only see one of the tags).

So I used to check the tags with mp3tag (mp3tag.de). It runs under WINE, but not on Catalina. The developer is working on a native Mac version, but I found an alternative native MacOS app and wondered if anyone here uses it. Its called Meta https://www.nightbirdsevolve.com/meta/ and its only $17.99 on the App Store (with a 4.3) rating.

Here's a review https://www.macstories.net/mac/editing-flac-metadata-with-meta-for-mac/

Thanks for the feedback. Yate looks very promising. The developer also has a great little app "Audio File Health Check" for free.

https://2manyrobots.com/plaster/

I ran it against my Music library and found a lot of errors. I'm sure most are not important, but I've found iTunes does weird things based on tags but does not allow you to see or fix. E.g. if you have multiple ARTIST tags. This app help you find stuff like that.

He also has a useful blog. I noticed some albums missing artwork and assumed I forgot to add it. Turns out there is a bug in the Music app. https://2manyrobots.com/my-experiences-with-the-music-application-so-far/

I've also seen the other bug he mentions (Albums splitting into multiple albums with tracks split between them).

I took a look at Audio File Health Check, wow you were correct, it found a lot of errors in my library.  But the app or the help link do not explain what it found or why?  So, I purchased Yate.  I have spent last night and this morning trying to understand the technical side of the two apps.  The developer was helpful in sending email replies.  But, in all fairness, my music plays on the computer, on the Sonos speakers and on my Yamaha receiver so the problems cannot be that overwhelming.  Or, I am not as technically savy as I thought.

10 minutes ago, cambridgehank said:

I took a look at Audio File Health Check, wow you were correct, it found a lot of errors in my library.  But the app or the help link do not explain what it found or why?  So, I purchased Yate.  I have spent last night and this morning trying to understand the technical side of the two apps.  The developer was helpful in sending email replies.  But, in all fairness, my music plays on the computer, on the Sonos speakers and on my Yamaha receiver so the problems cannot be that overwhelming.  Or, I am not as technically savy as I thought.

Same...  It found a bunch of errors that dont seem to really have an impact on my files or how they playback, nor did it give me any indication of what to do about it, or how, or much of anything other than they exist. So I deleted the program and turned my music back on.

No electron left behind.

I agree with some of the points above regarding AFHC and Yate. I found the developer extremely responsive. I asked him about some errors, he determined that he had introduced a bug in AFHC and there were not errors in the files, and within hours had pushed an update (on a Saturday).

Most of the errors I got where related to corrupted files. I researched the app forum and found someone with the same errors. They turned out to be harmless, but I decided to rip a few CDs again to get rid of them. Other errors were in downloads were there were 2 ARTIST tags per track. I used Yate to update the files.

I have found over the years iTunes (and I assume Music) and Squeezebox Server had exhibit strange behavior with tags are messed up. iTunes can have a problem with sorting albums if there are multiple ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST tags. This is not supposed to happen, but some download vendors are not good as sticking to the specification.

I think it a good investment of time to check all files before you load them into iTunes (or Music) with something like AFHC/Yate.