IGNORED

emm Labs DAC: adding either a Sonore Signature Rendu or Auralic Aries G2

I am torn between adding one of these streamers/transports
- Sonore Signature Rendu SE optical
- Auralic ARIES G2

I will use the USB input of my emm Labs DA2 V2 DAC. I own already an EtherREGEN with a good power supply.
My Roon server (ROCK) has a 4TB SSD which contains the music files. It is connected to the home LAN via Ethernet and a Cisco switch

I would use the Sonore like this:
Cisco switch -> Ethernet (CAT6a) -> EtherREGEN (B Side) -> EtherREGEN (A Side, optical port) -> Sonore Signature Rendu optical port -> emm Labs DAC (USB input)  

I would use the Auralic ARIES G2 like this:
Cisco switch -> Ethernet (CAT6a) -> EtherREGEN (A Side) -> EtherREGEN (B Side) -> Auralic ARIES G2 -> emm Labs DAC (USB input) 

I am aware that the Auralic device offers more digital outputs (mainly the XLR output could also be useful for me).

What I would like to avoid, are discussions about the EtherREGEN. I like it and I believe it brings a benefit to my system.

Apart from that, what would you choose and why? (my system is described in my pofile)

Thank you, firedog. Your thoughts are very welcome and reasonable. I don't expect that I would be able to hear a significant (reproducable) difference with regard to sound quality. Therefore it's indeed more about features, build quality and how it fits into my system. From what I see and read, build quality is on the same level. The Auralic is more versatile, but I am not yet sure about my gut feeling. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

@Albrecht many thanks for your input, really appreciated!

Though I have not yet ordered it, for the time being, I think I will go with the Sonore Signature Rendu. These are my reasons:

• I did own the first microRendu and still own the ultraRendu, my experience with both devices was excellent.
  • The build quality of the G2 could apparently be improved a bit. There's a small German company which offers a modification with an improved power supply. This is in line with your remark about the build quality of the G2.
  • Chris' review of the EMM Labs DAC and his embedded comments about the Sonore Signature

As a live in Europe, I won't be able to test the Sonore Signature in my own system. But at least the ultraRendu gives me an idea.

With regard to the dCS network bridge: I considered it, but dropped it as a candidate because the preferred digital input on the EMM Labs DAC is either USB or EMM Optilink. If the DAC would have a dual AES input, then the DCS would surely be a good choice. The dCS does not provide an USB output.

There's also a similar device from EMM Labs, the NS1. Comparing the features vs those from Sonore, the NS1 offers "only":
Up to 24bit,192kHz and DSD support on all outputs
while the Sonore has:
Supports the following PCM sample rates up to: 768kHz
Supports the following DSD sample rates up to: DSD512

Current bottom line is:
Not the G2. Probably the Sonore but I haven't ruled out the NS1.

8 hours ago, barrows said:

First, I work with Sonore and personally build all the Signature Rendu SEoptical components, so I am biased.

Hi @barrows 

thank you for your answer. Yes, as a long time reader/member of the forum, I know that you work for Sonore. No problem, I don't consider your post as advertising. I really appreciate your input.

• 1 month later...