IGNORED

Article: Review | Auralic Altair G1 Digital Audio Streamer

I get confused about Auralic's product line-up.  If the Altair is this good, what's the point of the Aries G1 streamer (only)?

This seems to offer the same level of streaming capability - plus a decent in-built DAC - for the same price.

What have I missed?

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was compelled to use the Altair G1 in all its possible configurations. I heard from Auralic that many of its customers have more than a single source, thus bypass its volume control when used with a preamp. It's only prudent for me to do the same for the vast audience who will use it this way. 

For 30% more money you certainly can get something better. That's not the point of this review though. The same could be said for every component ever reviewed. 

I don't understand your last sentence. 

The ARIES is only a transport. No analog output. The Altair is only a DAC. No digital output.

The Altair is a streamer and transport as well as a DAC, no? Understood that you can't connect another DAC but it's obviously not "only a DAC".  However the ARIES is only a steamer / transport.  I hope my point is clearer now.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I don't think I'm following you. Wouldn't surprise me though. Times are tough :~)

The AIRES is for people who want different DAC choices but want all the benefits of the Auralic platform.  

OK that advantage is clear enough.  Thanks.