IGNORED

Just bought a wonderful new audio toy!

58 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

To all you audio types. If there is one piece of test equipment that  all audiophiles find useful, it’s an oscilloscope.

”But they’re very pricy”, I hear you say!

Well not any more. I found a small, full color LCD oscilloscope on EBay for around 80 bucks (American) These are sold under several brand names but they all are the same. It’s a 100 MHz single channel handheld storage scope! It has a 3000 mh Li ion battery and comes with a Tektronix-style 10x-1x probe. It has a nice hard carrying case and a full step by step instruction book to allow a number of different procedures. Here’s a picture-

image.jpg

Looks like a very inexpensive portable, stand-alone scope! For something a little more expensive (and less stand-alone) I found Picoscope to be very convenient and surprisingly powerful. Digilent Discovery is also very good and still reasonably priced. Both require a computer to control them.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

I'll be interested in how you find it, George ... if you don't come across any major downsides, I'll grab one myself ... 👍.

I find any flaws, I’ll let you know. I have an expensive Tektronix 3014 (bought it used last year), and it’s very good. But it’s a lot of trouble to pull out of the closet and set up every time I need one. This little one is so convenient. That’s why I bought it. I just used it to troubleshoot a tube amp, and I found the problem (an open resistor) right away. I’m impressed so far.

George

3 hours ago, opus101 said:

Like I said, they are available under a number of different names and sources, and they are all the same. Yes, I’m aware that there is a large delta between the cheapest price available, and the most expensive. I bought the one I bought because this one was available domestically, IOW, it didn’t ship from China. I was willing to pay extra to get it in a few days as opposed to a few weeks.

George