IGNORED

My IFI Micro iUSB3.0 died - what's next?

As the title says, my ifi Micro iUSB3.0 died and it seems that product has been discontinued. I had it feed my stock Singxer SU-1 Which fed my Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2v2SE. I was happy with the sound but with the IUSB3.0 dying it seems like a good opportunity to improve my system.

Not sure if I should wait until someone sells their iUSB3.0 and add a LPS, or go a different route. Only thing I can see that ifi has is the  Nano iGalvanic Isolation, which seems to be a bit of a step backwards. People seem to love the Uptone ISO REGEN and the UltraCap LPS-1.2 combo, but I was hoping to spend less than what those cost. I'm open to new or used hardware.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, knowing that I may have to go higher price-wise than I want to attain noticeable improvement.

Thanks in advance.

What about this DC power conversion kit and a good LPS?

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/singxer-su-1-dc-power-conversion-kit-kitsunehifi-2-1mmx5-5mm/

These fellows seemed pretty happy with the conversion and Uptone Ultracaps LPS-1:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/singxer-su-1-owners.839330/page-23

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Each DAC is filtering the input signal from USB, and I prefers a DAC with documented clean filtration.

For isolation I read rob watt a DAC designer mentioned that the best isolation is a galvanic, so I suggest to try https://ifi-audio.com/products/nano-igalvanic3-0/

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually found the issue. My USB cable must have just been just a tad too long for everything to sync up properly. I went ahead and got an active USB cable and a 5v wall wart and it works like a champ now.

I tell ya what, having the micro USB3.0 in the chain made a substantially difference in the noise level.

I did contact ifi, they said they can replace the board on the micro USB3.0 for $212 plus shipping

Glad to hear the Micro iUSB3.0 is working.  Since the SU-6 arrived, I've been using the Micro iUSB3.0 to power JCAT FEMTO USB card.  Someday I'll get a good enough LPSU to do the job and let the Micro iUSB3.0 do its primary task:  reclocking.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

3 hours ago, thuandb said:

Glad to hear the Micro iUSB3.0 is working.  Since the SU-6 arrived, I've been using the Micro iUSB3.0 to power JCAT FEMTO USB card.  Someday I'll get a good enough LPSU to do the job and let the Micro iUSB3.0 do its primary task:  reclocking.

I have an Acopian gold box linear supply on the microUSB3 which made a large difference to the noise factor compared with the iPower wall wart which is now in a cupboard. The level of gunge just went away. I do find the type of USB cable can still have an influence on either side of the MicroUSB3 at the moment SAEC (line side) and Acoustic Revive split cable (load side).

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Just to share how I setup my USB chain with both iFi iUSB 3.0 Nano (not Micro) and ISO Regen.

Laptop (Jitterbug for wireless keyboard) 

↓ 

Lush v1 cable

↓ 

iUSB 3.0 Nano

↓ 

DIY USB cable (47 Labs Stratos wire)

↓ 

ISO Regen (powered by iUSB)

↓ 

USPCB cable

↓ 

DAC 

- iUSB Nano vs ISO Regen: iUSB sounds a wee bit rounder. ISO Regen is more effortless. Both very good.

- I prefer iUSB Nano before ISO Regen.

- Lush cable has a musical sound, but a little forward for me. Fits my preference when used before iUSB. Adds just a little lushness into the clean sound without being too forward. USPCB throws the stage perceptively deeper to the back, most cables usually pull stage to speakers' plane (probably more neutral/ accurate, but i like deeper stage.)

- bought the iUSB Nano at a fire sale mainly to power ISO Regen. Turned out to synergise well with ISO Regen. But the free iPower has a high pitch whine, will replace it some day with LPS.