IGNORED

Auralic Aeries G2 and Leo GX combo

I have seen excellent and detailed reviews on this forum regarding the SoTM streamer and various power supplies, external clocks and switches that could improve the SQ. I have the SMS200 ultra and i am pretty happy with it but want to upgrade to get more out of my system. The EtherRegen switch and the Paul Hynes PSU are obvious bedfellows for the SoTM sms 200 Neo with an external clock which would be a fantastic combo. But reviews of other options such as the Auralic Aries G2 and Leo GX combo report impressive performance. What are people's impression here about the Auralic combo and how it compares to the SoTM or other options reviewed here. I will of course listen and make my own mind up but i would be grateful for your thoughts and impressions of the SoTM vs the Auralic options.

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

I'm wondering the same. I've got the SoTM PS500 power supply with my SMS200 Ultra and I'm sending it into a Qutest that's running on a SBooster PS.

I too have been looking at the etherRegen... but like you I wonder about Auralic, Lumin and Innous products.

It would be great to be able to audition each "thing" in your system and make decisions from there. About every other week I give up and say it sounds fabulous stop searching! But that was last week.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

11 hours ago, creativepart said:

About every other week I give up and say it sounds fabulous stop searching! But that was last week.

Yes, me as well!

Custom built silent Media PC, Synology DS415+ NAS -> SoTM sms200Ultra/sps500  -> TAD DA1000 DAC/preamp and Bryston 4BSST2 power amp -> Harbeth SHL5 speakers and Velodyne DD10+ subwoofers. PowerQuest Carbon USB cable, Chord Company Chorus interconnects, Chord Company Signature speaker leads, Clearer Audio Silver-Line power leads

11 hours ago, creativepart said:

It would be great to be able to audition each "thing" in your system and make decisions from there. About every other week I give up and say it sounds fabulous stop searching! But that was last week.

I discovered that I made a mistake in thinking that the Aries G2 has clock connectivity. Looking at it more closely it doesn't seem to be the case. Not sure why it doesn't thought!  It is only the Vega G2 streaming DAC that has that feature 😞

• 1 year later...
On 4/19/2020 at 6:55 PM, debt_collector said:

I discovered that I made a mistake in thinking that the Aries G2 has clock connectivity. Looking at it more closely it doesn't seem to be the case. Not sure why it doesn't thought!  It is only the Vega G2 streaming DAC that has that feature 😞

Bumping this. So, any comments about performance of the Leo GX or GX.1 with the Vega G2 or G2.1?

2ch: LP12/Mober DC/Ittok/DVxx2 MK2, Auralic Aries G2.1, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Oppo BDP95, ME25, Pass Labs XP22, Pass Labs X260.8, MG3.7iR, Sangean WFT-3D

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/16/2021 at 2:56 PM, m_j_s said:

Just added a Leo GX.1 to my Vega G2.1 (and Aries G2.1). To say I am impressed with its performance is an understatement. 

Hello - can you explain what’s the difference in sound? Does it make the sound more detailed but maybe thinner?