An Edifying Journey ...

On 8/27/2020 at 8:19 PM, bluesman said:

People where you work have audio systems at their desks that include low latency, high def BT transceivers with good components? Wow - I wanna work there.

I’m talking about serious home systems with good sources, DACs, amps & speakers using optical in and out AptX LL / HD BT to connect the source to the DAC instead of wires.  I’m not talking about BT phones and active speakers, very few of which have the latest Qualcomm BT yet.

These gents use stuff like that. but then they listen to MP3's :D I know.

Current:  JRiver 26 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300 - Kenwood L-07M's - Pioneer M-22

Speakers: Royd Doublets - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - KEF LS50 - ELAC unifi UB5's - Linn Tukans - others......

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects and Homebrew speaker cables

Finally ... !!! Been wanting to set up a "test bench" for better exploring of mains filtering, conditioning options - this is extremely simple; back to back, ordinary power supply transformers - toroids. 240V in, 240V out - a DIY isolation tranny ... too many life things getting in the way up to now, including fixing up a kitchen drain blockage; this is finally fixed enough to not be fussed on the "last bits", of filling in holes, etc 🙂

So, filter unit now assembled, added into the mains cords and filtering chain, right at the beginning - means now 3 stages of filtering going on! Kicked it off to make sure it worked; that no funnies turn up because I missed something; first impressions, seems to have improved the sound - running an Ace Records sampler CD of 60's, etc, pop; solid, immersive presentation, very good detail.

Let it bed down for a day or so, then start varying things - and see what that tells me ... 🙂.

Frank

http://artofaudioconjuring.blogspot.com/

Over and out.

Right, first very simple test to confirm that the extra filtering was doing what it appeared to be - by removing, and then re-inserting that 'box' ...  played from this local release,

s-l1600.jpg

this first song, recorded 1928,

Having the isolation transformer as part of the power supply filtering made a substantial difference; removing it as the first step of the chain turned the string section of the orchestra into a "silly symphonies", cartoon sound - much better integrity when again inserted.

Frank

Over and out.

Okay, some interesting findings ... even though the sound improved at an early point of the warmup, by having the transformer box (iso xfr) in the power chain, the SQ started to develop an edge over longer playing time. Another round of trying this confirmed what was going on - I was getting "more detail", but this built up an unpleasantness, getting worse the longer playback continued ... time to try variations 🙂.

The first config was the iso xfr at the dedicated power point, then very long, individual runs to the dedicated filtering for first the DVD then, and then the active speakers. Okay, try iso xfr just before the second level filters, via long run to the wall socket - and split into the two filter chains at that point ... worse!! Major downgrade of quality - this implied that the DVD player and active speakers power supplies were interfering with each other, and this was more a problem than noise from elsewhere, at this stage of experimenting. The Edifiers had already signaled that they needed more filtering than the source unit; so next move was to dedicate the iso xfr to the speaker run; the DVD player now went back to its former dedicated long cable to the socket - this meant that two long runs of cable, and iso xfr now distanced the filtered power feeds.

And this immediately confirmed that it was the best setup so far - sensitivity to noise on the dedicated mains spur was still present; but with workarounds in place, SQ was better than ever - very marginal Errol Garner piano tracks were a delight.

Frank

Over and out.

• 2 weeks later...

Still haven't got further with improving the mains filtering - too much else to do around the place at the moment. But I'm very pleased with the current set of noise reduction workarounds; a very fine standard of replay, from dead cold start - incredibly sensitive now to any of the myriad rough n' ready tweaking of things in place - and very, very easy to disturb one of them; meaning a very definite drop in SQ if not 100% in order.

Have to bite the bullet on getting that filtering sorted, as soon as possible. Then, tidy up the crazy mess of workarounds without losing quality - this may be just as difficult as anything else I could work on, 😉.

Frank

Over and out.