IGNORED

An Edifying Journey ...

6 hours ago, botrytis said:

So far, I have not been impressed with the sound quality I have heard from Bluetooth.

If you haven't heard the latest aptX codecs on the newest Qualcomm chips, you're in for a surprise.  I'm not talking about BT from phones.  I'm talking about using dedicated BT transmitters and receivers to connect quality digital audio sources to the digital inputs of DACs and digital amplifiers across the room.  Most of the good new BT transceivers have optical inputs and outputs.  I was amazed at how good it sounds driving the optical inputs on my DACs (SMSL SU8, Emotiva Stealth into Prima Luna power amp and Focal 726 towers) and digital amplifier (Wadia 151 into Rogers LS3/5As or Focals), as well as my Edifier powered speakers.

It's not the best reproduction I ever heard, but it's so much better than any prior effort that it'll open your eyes to the possibilities.  I did this as research for an article, but it turned out to be pretty fine.  It doesn't replace my good systems, but it's much more than just listenable.  It's a hair down on crispness, transparency, and coherence among the instruments compared to hard connections. Bas may be a little less alive.  But with decent electronics and speakers, it's far better than most of the second and third systems I've had or heard in friends' homes.  It's also acceptably quiet in the background.

1 hour ago, botrytis said:

I have heard them. People at work use them. Still not impressed.

People where you work have audio systems at their desks that include low latency, high def BT transceivers with good components? Wow - I wanna work there.

I’m talking about serious home systems with good sources, DACs, amps & speakers using optical in and out AptX LL / HD BT to connect the source to the DAC instead of wires.  I’m not talking about BT phones and active speakers, very few of which have the latest Qualcomm BT yet.

• 4 months later...
On 1/14/2021 at 5:34 PM, fas42 said:

Yes, you have to stop the cable from touching the "wrong things", anywhere - and for a very long cable that can be an irksome thing to, umm, organise.

This begs the question of whether and how branch circuit wiring affects SQ.  The outlet is getting power from long, convoluted wires that are generally held in place along studs and joists inside the walls with metal staples, and run by / across / against many things.  The wires are clamped by plastic or metal when they enter and leave junction boxes, switch boxes etc.  They’re joined by wire nuts and connected to breakers and other devices by push-contact fittings, screw terminals etc.  They run through magnetic fields generated by multiple devices on the other side of those walls.

If you’re correct about the audible effects of any of these, we should be running dedicated mains feeds from pole or trench directly to our audio components.  Forgive me for being a bit skeptical, but the magnitude of these interactions seems like it should be rather small.  If it’s not, we’re all fooling ourselves.