IGNORED

iTunes is updating images, can this be stopped?

One thing I always see Music doing is updating images. Unless I purchased the track from iTunes (Music), I did internet searches to get, better high-quality images. (Yup, I’m one of those!) Is there a way to stop this within Music? Or should I find something else like Little Snitch? I am using the latest version of Music and still on 10.15.3

I am no longer using Music, it just opens when I stick in a disc to rip with another program.

Hello Doug!

No, "Automatically update artwork" is not checked in Music Preferences. For music CD, I have it set to "Ignore. Should I change all settings to ignore? I definitely see the Update artwork status in the lower-left corner of Music. However, I can't see or tell if it's doing anything? 

System  CDs & DVDs.png

I am using dbpoweramp and Music always gets in the way. I stick a disc in, and Music "Apple-y" opens. I don't need it open and I don't want it open. However, even with the settings shown above, Music still opens. Right before I close it, I see it updating images. 

I use dbpoweramp to re-rip my CDs. Stuff that I purchased from years of using iTunes from 128 kbps and all, I left in Music. No disc burning software. And I haven't purchased any tunes from iTunes or Music in years. I've never changed those system preferences for CDs & DVDs.

Music is opening, but I am not using it. I thought I would let it update and that would be that, but it's a constant thing. I would be very upset if I was using Music and it actually updated the images.

Today, I see it updating the artist artwork, which I imagine are those little images that are typically represented by a mic stand. I can't understand why it cannot update Aretha Franklin's image. I haven't noticed this before either. Perhaps this is what I am seeing?

Updating.png

Artist images have always been weird. Sometimes, iTunes/Music just gets stuck. Try removing the Aretha Franklin tracks, quit the Music app, then launch it again. Let it go and see if it updates. Then add the music back and see what happens. It could be some corruption in the database, or in the existing artist artwork.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.