IGNORED

HQPlayer Convolution Questions

16 hours ago, Miska said:

Just want to confirm by crash you mean HQPlayer closes? And not that it gets virtual stuck or similar?

Yes, HQPlayer always closes immediately after hitting Play in case the Pipeline is activated.

16 hours ago, Miska said:

If you can email me a log file with a note on time stamp when that happens, it could have some hints what is going wrong.

Also emailing me filters + HQPlayer settings.xml could help me to reproduce any crash. If I can reproduce a crash, I can very likely fix it too. Biggest problems are "ghost" crashes I cannot reproduce that randomly appear somewhere.

Both files sent via email. Thanks for looking!

audio system

• 2 months later...

HQPlayer PEQ vs REW PEQ as in convolution?

I much prefer using the linear phase EQ in DMG Equilibrium vs HQPlayer PEQ, but looping out to a VST host requires manual rate changes which are tedious, and the same issue exists going from say FB2K or JRMC out to HQPlayer.

If I create the EQ in REW and use in convolution, is phase preserved, or is this effectively IIR and equivalent to HQPlayer's PEQ?

4 hours ago, GoodEnoughGear said:

I much prefer using the linear phase EQ in DMG Equilibrium vs HQPlayer PEQ, but looping out to a VST host ...

You can apply your DMG EQ to a Dirac Impluse and load this into HQP's convolution or Matrix. Phase will be preserved.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

7 hours ago, GoodEnoughGear said:

If I create the EQ in REW and use in convolution, is phase preserved, or is this effectively IIR and equivalent to HQPlayer's PEQ?

It is same as running parametric EQ in HQPlayer, but you burn extra processing cycles for no benefit. So REW EQ is minimum phase always.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks for the feedback, working my way through getting more familiar with convolution in general, and assessing tools. It's a bit of a learning curve, but interesting stuff. I do have a Dirac impulse I can process with Equilibrium, but another learning curve getting into a DAW to do that. I'm feeling I need to understand the theory better so I'm focusing on getting the basics there.

For now, I have the option of using JRMC ASIO to route into JRMC and use VST directly there if I want to be pedantic. Mostly just using HQP PEQ as I only have minor gentle tweaks, I'm not chasing every little anomaly. My room is good dimension-wise, but needs better treatment for detailed/OCD type correction :).

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, tcode said:

I want to use parametric EQ with HQ Player. I'm not sure if I did it the right way.

Yes it is the Matrix and technically not the Convolution filter. Your seems about right but you need to use and match source channels to Mix Channels, most of us Stereo users need 1 --> 1 and 2 --> only, you separate each band and frequency by using as delimiter ,

For example on Channel 1 and 2 you will have the same EQ, for my Monoprice 1570C Channel 1 and 2 is the same and on each I have this.

iir:type=lshelf;f=10;g=6.0;q=1.0,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;q=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=140;g=0.7;q=1.0,iir:type=peak;f=1350;g=-3.2;q=1.5,iir:type=peak;f=1830;g=2.3;q=1.3,iir:type=peak;f=3230;g=-1.3;q=4.0,iir:type=peak;f=4420;g=-3.1;q=4.5,iir:type=peak;f=5600;g=-4.1;q=2.5,iir:type=peak;f=7000;g=2.5;q=1.2,iir:type=hshelf;f=10000;g=-1.0;q=0.71

Note the other channels unused

image.thumb.png.3c9c308b4e90753f722c6071980d4ed9.png

Edit: Note the Gain settings for EQ compensation and all the empty channels from 3 down

1 hour ago, tcode said:

I want to use parametric EQ with HQ Player. I'm not sure if I did it the right way. If I enable this matrix pipeline the cpu load is 100% and I can barely listen anything. 

I think you should have those on the same pipeline, not as parallel pipelines with mixing. Just assuming about your intended behaviour.

9 hours ago, Miska said:

I think you should have those on the same pipeline, not as parallel pipelines with mixing. Just assuming about your intended behaviour.

9 hours ago, luisma said:

Yes it is the Matrix and technically not the Convolution filter. Your seems about right but you need to use and match source channels to Mix Channels, most of us Stereo users need 1 --> 1 and 2 --> only, you separate each band and frequency by using as delimiter ,

For example on Channel 1 and 2 you will have the same EQ, for my Monoprice 1570C Channel 1 and 2 is the same and on each I have this.

iir:type=lshelf;f=10;g=6.0;q=1.0,iir:type=lshelf;f=105;g=5.5;q=0.71,iir:type=peak;f=140;g=0.7;q=1.0,iir:type=peak;f=1350;g=-3.2;q=1.5,iir:type=peak;f=1830;g=2.3;q=1.3,iir:type=peak;f=3230;g=-1.3;q=4.0,iir:type=peak;f=4420;g=-3.1;q=4.5,iir:type=peak;f=5600;g=-4.1;q=2.5,iir:type=peak;f=7000;g=2.5;q=1.2,iir:type=hshelf;f=10000;g=-1.0;q=0.71

Note the other channels unused

image.thumb.png.3c9c308b4e90753f722c6071980d4ed9.png

Edit: Note the Gain settings for EQ compensation and all the empty channels from 3 down

That makes sense and it works! Thanks a ton!

9 hours ago, Miska said:

Got it, thank you very much!

• 9 months later...

Hello. I have question regarding setting headroom for convolution. I have convolution filter with IR Gain 0.000826241dB. In the Convolution Setup dialog I can set the Gain Compensation to -1dB level and there is no digital limitation according to the "Limited" indication in HQPlayer (for testing music track). 

If I use the same convolution filter in Matrix Pipeline HQPlayer automatically sets approx. -6dB attenuation. The sound is 5dB quieter than in the previous case. When I try to set the gain +3dB in the Matrix Pipeline for both channels there is digital limitation for the same music track even though the volume is still about 2dB lower than was in previous case. Why there are differences? Thanks for answer in advance.

1 hour ago, kryton said:

Hello. I have question regarding setting headroom for convolution. I have convolution filter with IR Gain 0.000826241dB. In the Convolution Setup dialog I can set the Gain Compensation to -1dB level and there is no digital limitation according to the "Limited" indication in HQPlayer (for testing music track). 

If I use the same convolution filter in Matrix Pipeline HQPlayer automatically sets approx. -6dB attenuation. The sound is 5dB quieter than in the previous case. When I try to set the gain +3dB in the Matrix Pipeline for both channels there is digital limitation for the same music track even though the volume is still about 2dB lower than was in previous case. Why there are differences? Thanks for answer in advance.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally load the filter more than once for the pipeline? And that you don't accidentally have both convolution and matrix engines enabled?

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally load the filter more than once for the pipeline? And that you don't accidentally have both convolution and matrix engines enabled?

There is one additional convolution filter in Matrix Pipeline in serie with filter discussed above. This convolution filter is only phase correction with IR gain 0dB. Two filters in serie - one with IR gain 0.000826241dB and one with IR gain 0dB. It resulted in strange total IR gain cca -6dB. See plots below. Sorry for incomplete information in my previous post.

filters.jpg

30 minutes ago, kryton said:

There is one additional convolution filter in Matrix Pipeline in serie with filter discussed above. This convolution filter is only phase correction with IR gain 0dB. Two filters in serie - one with IR gain 0.000826241dB and one with IR gain 0dB. It resulted in strange total IR gain cca -6dB. See plots below. Sorry for incomplete information in my previous post.

filters.jpg

That phase correction filter may have such effects when combined with another one, depending on the phase relationships of each other.

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

That phase correction filter may have such effects when combined with another one, depending on the phase relationships of each other.

Maybe it can be connected to situation on screenshot below. Phase correction filter in Setup Convolution dialog show IR gain NaN (Not a Number). Wrong IR gain detection in situation when IR gain is exactly equal to zero. 

phase_correction.jpg

43 minutes ago, kryton said:

Maybe it can be connected to situation on screenshot below. Phase correction filter in Setup Convolution dialog show IR gain NaN (Not a Number). Wrong IR gain detection in situation when IR gain is exactly equal to zero. 

The way IR gain estimation is done here is different method than the plot functionality. It can sometimes show error, or wrong value depending on what kind of filter is loaded. It is just an estimate. It is good to double check with matrix plot.

3 hours ago, kryton said:

Thanks for answer. I have another question regarding convolution filter format. Is it matter if convolution filter use 32 float or 32bit fixed point?

No, not really, either one is fine. Technically best option is 64-bit floating point, if that is available.

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2020 at 9:27 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

When listening with the convolution filters, there can be a serious high frequency cut off. @Miska said this is related to the limiting listed in the HQP interface. I guess I don't understand why this only happens in HQP. 

Were you able to solve this? I feel the convolution rendering in Roon vs HQPlayer (for the same convolution filter) are somewhat different. So wondering too how to fix any high frequency cut offs etc.