IGNORED

EtherREGEN - Formal Video Imaging and Audio Review

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

@pkane2001 and @plissken :

You two have made your points and @DarqueKnight has reasonably replied with regards his methods. Stop badgering him or I will lock this thread. 
As mentioned, we receive reports from folks all over the world with regards to subtle image enhancement brought by the use of the EtherREGEN in their video systems. Not something we had particularly thought about during design, but the reason for the effect must be similar to what happens in an audio system.

He's being actively helped out to improve a testing regimen. DK even agrees:

1. That using a video he's guessing that it's on the correct frame

2. That using a static pic (hopefully 4K with wide color gamut) would solve some issues

Suggesting using H.264 and Adobe Premier with it's frame function is hardly badgering. It's a lot of work vs grabbing some stock photography but it is another way.

The part that you ar

3 minutes ago, plissken said:

He's being actively helped out to improve a testing regimen. DK even agrees:

1. That using a video he's guessing that it's on the correct frame

2. That using a static pic (hopefully 4K with wide color gamut) would solve some issues

For the things I was looking for, I did not need to be on the exact same frame. If there was a critical need to compare exact frames, I would have done so. As I said before, I could have used static test patterns.

For a tight camera shot focused on an actor's eye, how much difference would you expect would occur in less than one second of 24FPS video in such areas as pixel sharpness, blooming, and black levels?

Other attributes, such as differences in the amount of perceived depth in the video image, would remain constant even from scene to scene.

Wow!  Thank you again Ray for your extreme diligence and dedication in performing all the above new evaluations. Quite impressive!

So glad that you are enjoying the EtherREGEN units in your systems and that you continue to explore methods to extract the very best of their performance.

With kind regards,

--Alex C.

• 5 weeks later...

The Supra Cat8 costs 7X the price of the Monoprice Cat8, and facilitated more information retrieval, but it was not 7X better in any aspect of stereophonic performance in my office system.A member of this forum suggested the Supra Cat8 ($49 - 1meter) cables as a higher performance alternative to the shield broken Monoprice Cat8 ($7 - 3 feet) cables. I found his advice to be correct.

Both the stock and shield broken Supra Cat8 cables revealed a little more fine detail and spatial information than the shield broken Monoprice cables. I did not evaluate the Supra cables in my home two channel audio and home theater systems.

958187943_SupraCat8001-s.thumb.jpg.95ed7a5723db1221adf974b80c753830.jpg
Figure 45. The Supra Cat8 cables come in a resealable plastic case, which is nice in case you want to return them.

1598752392_SupraCat8002-s.thumb.jpg.4435ed339dbf2a8ca278a71eb06aeac0.jpg
Figure 46. Distinctive ice blue jacket.

192263711_SupraCat8003-s.thumb.jpg.e57dbc5e50bea1b00cfaf3f65a259017.jpg
Figure 47. Each cable comes with a tag denoting the assembler.

1333398881_SupraCat8004-s.thumb.jpg.83c1c3f476c31826c84ad4478d19982e.jpg
Figure 48. Monoprice Cat8 and Supra Cat8 plugs.

Monoprice Cat8 specs:
outer shield: aluminum-magnesium alloy braid
inner shield: aluminum foil
resistance = 93.8 ohms per km
capacitance </= 3.3 pF per meter
conductor size: 24 AWG

Supra Cat8 specs:
outer shield: oxygen free 5N pure copper braid, tin plated
inner shield: aluminum foil
resistance = 145 ohms per km
capacitance </= 43 pF per meter
conductor size: 26 AWG
conductor material: oxygen free 5N pure copper
insulation: air injected low capacitance polyethylene
impedance: 100 ohms

1715099910_SupraCat8005ShieldBreakShellOff-s.thumb.jpg.a697bc12c922934ce751ffd39e303a8d.jpg
Figure 49. The Supra's metal shell is retained by four tabs and is more difficult to remove than the Monoprice's.

1446819574_SupraCat8006ShieldBreakShellTabBroken-s.thumb.jpg.a6002b02fe9e3a107341efca59b82a80.jpg
Figure 50. The Supra's metal shell makes contact with the braid shield via a metal tab, shown broken off here.

99017411_SupraCat8007ShieldBreakPlug-ShieldTab-s.thumb.jpg.c919b09b9178d184572eca3b3b8e3a00.jpg
Figure 51. The metal shell was put back on the plug. I initially was going to use the Supra cables with the metal shell removed from one end. However, I did not like the plug's looser fit in the jack with the metal shell removed.

1044184000_SupraCat8008Plugkit-s.jpg.d0bbabc2b14e6cc630a8e28f0cdc1037.jpg
Figure 52. If I ever want to return the cables to stock condition, plug kits are available for$6.

1344463878_SupraCat8009ShieldBreakPluggedInBDP-2Close-s.thumb.jpg.be4509b556a8cbbe9ece2a2fa9efeb87.jpg
Figure 53. The Supra Cat8 costs 7X the price of the Monoprice Cat8, and facilitated more information retrieval, but it was not 7X better in any aspect of stereophonic performance in my office system.

I read a review where the reviewer, and others, commented that the Supra Cat8 cables caused a loss of high frequency detail in their systems. I did not experience that in this system. On high frequency content such as cymbals, tambourines, shakers, and female voices, I actually heard more high frequency detail with the Supra cables compared to the Monoprice cables.

Speaking of diminishing returns, I ran across a deal on a pair of 1.5 meter AudioQuest Vodka Ethernet cables. The 2020 retail on these is $600. When I evaluated a loaner pair of Vodka cables in my home two channel stereo and home theater systems, I found their spacial properties to be in a class above that of the other Ethernet cables, except for the Revelation Audio Labs Cat8+.

243779469_AQVodkaEthernet001Boxes-s.thumb.jpg.96276046438fa752ca10135e44a501f1.jpg
Figure 54. I ran across these while shopping for something else. Purchased from an authorized AudioQuest dealer.

833951850_AQVodkaEthernet002Cables-s.thumb.jpg.7be73bf112925418ca95ac0bb2a4e9b0.jpg
Figure 55. The Vodkas, like all of AudioQuest's Ethernet cables, are Cat7.

379696995_AQVodkaEthernet003Installed-s.thumb.jpg.8cb3b20757ddca3c5bb99cc7f5932a96.jpg
Figure 56. In the distant future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, I might splurge on some higher performance, higher diminishing returns Ethernet cables for my work system, but for now, these will do.

• 1 month later...

Great detailed review, thank you @DarqueKnight! I also love my RAL CAT8+ cable been running it for about a year now. Have you had any experience with the latest Sablon Audio Ethernet 2020 cable? I need to purchase 2 more ethernet cable for my multiple switch setup and been trying to finalize my choice between the RAL, Shunyata Sigma, Pachanko Aphelion or the Sablon 2020. 

This is very cool, I had briefly experimented with powering mm om3 fiber hdmi extenders with uptone ultracaps, the chain got overly complex, however, and I have just been using cheap jameco lps instead of the stock switching supplies.

A couple points that Im not sure have been made regarding the counter-arguements, as theyre generally like reading 8kun and a waste of time.

1.) OLED uses sample and hold, not pulsed rolling scan.  Theres no sync required in a static frame, the only advice would be to let the automatic brightness limiter engage fully before capturing photos.  Seriously... its not even sequential RGB solid state DLP(900hz color frequency with a 0.01ms per pixel impulse response. Yes, I have a Sim2 Mico) its sample and hold...

2.) And I cant believe I have to say this but when you pause video it doesnt randomly interpolate a new frame to pause on.  It pauses on the frame, of which there are typically 24 per second...  and you can frame skip... ugh...  Only if you're using frame blending or frame interpolation would a new frame be created, and you could pause on that new frame and make comparisons between them as well.  Its an utter strawman arguement that the same and original frame isnt being used.

3.) Im not a photographer but even my cellphone has professional modes where you can lock exposure and other settings to accurately make comparisons.

4.) Im unsure why people think error correction is perfect, if you can negate error correction with power and signal quality then do it.  If they existed, these people would have you believe star trek transporters could function propely using crap power and error correction... no thank you.

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2020 at 11:09 AM, kerisabe said:

@DarqueKnightHave you had any experience with the latest Sablon Audio Ethernet 2020 cable? I need to purchase 2 more ethernet cable for my multiple switch setup and been trying to finalize my choice between the RAL, Shunyata Sigma, Pachanko Aphelion or the Sablon 2020. 

No experience with the Sablon Ethernet cable.