IGNORED

I need to troubleshoot my setup. Looking for suggestions.

I've used several Mac Minis over the years as music servers. My current setup includes a 2009 Mini, which connects via USB/SPDIF (SingerX F1) to a MiniDSP 4x10HD. The speakers are Linkwitz LXminis powered by an Outlaw 7075 amp.

The system suddenly stopped outputting sound the other day. I tried switch to a Toslink connection (adapter in headphone output to 4x10HD), but the Mac didn't want to recognize the connection. (I know Apple got rid of the optical out at some point, but I thought it was a standard feature through 2011.)

This configuration is hard to troubleshoot, and I think I'll probably just have to start swapping out components until I find the one that's buggy. My initial inclination is to order a refurbished Mini since it is the oldest component. Any thoughts on this? Am I overlooking a step that would help me to isolate the problem more quickly (and affordably)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

My guess is that it has something to do with the sound output failing. If the Mac doesn't recognize the Toslink connection, then that suggests that it's not just the analog sound, but the entire connector. It may or may not be difficult to repair. 

Perhaps try and see if you get audio out via USB, to see if it's something deeper (ie, a software fault that could be fixed by reinstalling the OS.) 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.