IGNORED

CD Availability Nearing It's End And The Consequences

53 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Aside from a very few hi res digital downloads I’ve purchased, I sit down and listen and say “hey wait a minute, that’s doesn’t sound as good as my CD rip”

I hear that and I've heard it before but, in general, it does not agree with my experience.  I have not bought a CD in years and have no desire to.  Of course, I do prefer hi-rez and multichannel but, as with CD-level stuff, all via downloads.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

40 minutes ago, sandyk said:

How do you know for certain that the downloaded file is a Bit for Bit identical copy of that on the CD version?

I don't.  My CD-quality (and other) downloads are generally from the record company and I am judging them as a group without direct comparison to the CD release.

Kal Rubinson

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

Kal, don't you find that dealing only with downloads (excluding those you get directly from the record companies, (which I dont think are available to the general public?)  distinctly limits the music that is available to you? Many lesser known artists, or artists in less popular musical genre's  simply are not available via download.

Not really.  (BTW, I was exaggerating before.  I have actually bought an average of 2-3 CDs a year because those recordings were unattainable otherwise.  This comes to, perhaps, 1-2% of my acquisitions but I don't know for sure.)

Kal Rubinson