IGNORED

CD Availability Nearing It's End And The Consequences

6 minutes ago, CatManDo said:

SACD could die very suddenly, as there are only a few manufacturing plants in the world. If one of those closes for economic reasons, the labels which use them could stop releasing in the format altogether.

Labels like Audiophile Productions have been releasing less SACDs lately, when they used to release the same titles on LP and SACD before. Most new SACDs are very limited edition japanese reissues of vintage classical recordings

https://www.hraudio.net/music.php (recent releases are top of the page, the list also includes Blu-ray-Audio releases)

Do you know if those manufacturing plants also handle others good such as regular CDs, Blu-ray Discs, etc...?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

38 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

I hear you on your OP. I agree and lament the loss of CDs. I also lament the loss of all the new music.

I am (i guess i have to now say) a former songwriter/musician/producer who made music from mid 80s through about 2007. This was the end of the CD era, - destroyed by the greed of the Recording Industry, and their desire to get every 1/2 penny from everyone. This ended up killing creativity, and diminishing the amount of music. Plus, and even more insidious, - it completely ruined the ability of artists to invest the time to make new, good music: (recognizing the terms "new" and "good" are somewhat relative).

My main point to make is that there are many reasons, (some more significant than others), that have put this "state of the music recorded event" in the terrible state that it is in. No one can make a "fair wage" from being a full-time artist anymore, and that is really sad, - as the talent is still there, - but unfortunately, the hard-work of REFINING that talent is dead as we live in this "one hit song for $.99 or $12 a month streaming" world. 

My answer is to grab my fav nostalgia and pick up re-mastered recordings of early 90s to mid 2000s CDs where I can. Listen to French and International radio on the Internet for music that I like, and then try to buy the CDs on Amazon. And, go to BandCamp and download FLAC when there are no CDs. 

I think we see very different on this one. I believe there is more new music than any time in the history of the world. I could be wrong and would enjoy seeing stats. 

Nobody is stopping artists from making new music and selling CDs. Consumers have spoken, not the music industry, and selected streaming. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I could be wrong as well, - and I too would like to see some stats. I would be particularly interested in knowing how many artists out there have more than 50 or songs generating significant streaming revenue.

The old model, - (when I was playing), - was that the live shows/tours supported record/CD sales and lost tons of money. 

Now, - "groups" artists have to make money off of touring because they loose so much money by selling downloads. Again, - more stats are needed, but there is testimonial after testimonial of artists like Adrian Utley of Portishead where he stated that their latest recorded got more than a million + plays and he received all of $43 for that...

The Tidal model seems to me really mirror the Netflix model of eliminating music that doesn't have a certain level of popularity: this homogenizes everything.

But to your point, - I would need to present some statistics to support the above. It would be very interesting to know how many "working bands" are out there these days, and how many of those achieve sustainable incomes and enough compensation to make multi-song "albums" on a regular basis.

Cheers,

I'm with you, stats would be great. The world has certainly changed. I've seen the testimonials as well but I don't think they are a good guiding post as to where the market should be. Portishead likely signed away its rights to everything, thus makes pennies for streaming. I would love to see what the rights holders made off Portishead. Then the discussion moved to those who make the money compensating those who create the content. I think going out it any other way is very backward. 

Money is being made by the labels / rights holders that's for sure. Artists must look at the labels and demand more rather than claiming streaming is the reason for their lack of income. Just my thoughts on this one.