IGNORED

CD Availability Nearing It's End And The Consequences

15 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I’m a bit late to this thread but it really shocks me that anybody would miss CD as a format. 

My extensive CD collection has been ripped years ago and I can’t even remember when I last purchased one of these horrible plastic thingies, in these awful plastic containers. 

My current combination of lossless streaming with purchasing high res versions of stuff I really care about, plus easy access to my large CD back catalog is really just perfect. I really don’t get this “everything was better in the past” mentality here. 

Well, I would really miss the SACD format if it goes away. I actually prefer physical formats. I purchased high resolution downloads of audiophile recordings which were not released as SACDs, or individual tracks for those in which I didn't want to purchase the full SACD.

Only about 5% of my music is on my computer. Not even my few CDs are ripped to my computer as My Mac Mini does not have a disc drive and I would never purchase one as I don't have room on my desk for more stuff.

As for streaming, my apartment complex doesn't allow streaming with their free wi-fi internet.

My concern is the death of CD may take SACD with it.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

On 4/14/2020 at 5:45 AM, One and a half said:

I also fear for SACD's demise, but it's held on this long despite many downs. Please remember, SACD has a huge following in Japan, SACD players are still being made with new models, examples from less than a month ago, Luxman, and Technics, their first SACD player. Even for popular music, SACD is easy for me to engage, I like what I hear, and still prefer it to digital files, even ripped SACD. 

Can make a whole afternoon roll by, one disc after another, totally enjoyable. Same, but not so much with vinyl, it's a different medium with flaws, can also play records one after the other. Must be something with rotating discs :)  

To elaborate my concern on the death of CD taking SACD with it has to do with the European boutique classical music labels whose hybrid SACD / CD issues are single inventory, meaning there is no separate CD edition.

In addition single inventory hybrid SACD / CD issues must be priced the same as regular CDs since most purchasers are buying for the CD layer. IIRC Robert von Bahr of BIS Records said that about 10 percent of his customers buy for the SACD layer. Thus, as people quit purchasing CDs the European classical labels may find it is no longer economically viable to release  hybrid SACD / CDs.

This would leave us with only the audiophile remasters from MFSL, Analogue Productions, etc. and the expensive Japanese SACDs. Hopefully SACD remains popular in Japan, Hong Kong and Asian countries.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:03 PM, TubeLover said:

I hadn't mentioned it before , but yes, losings any availability of new SACD's would also be a severe blow.

JC

I agree.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa