IGNORED

CD Availability Nearing It's End And The Consequences

3 hours ago, Teresa said:

Well, I would really miss the SACD format if it goes away. I actually prefer physical formats. I purchased high resolution downloads of audiophile recordings which were not released as SACDs, or individual tracks for those in which I didn't want to purchase the full SACD.

Only about 5% of my music is on my computer. Not even my few CDs are ripped to my computer as My Mac Mini does not have a disc drive and I would never purchase one as I don't have room on my desk for more stuff.

As for streaming, my apartment complex doesn't allow streaming with their free wi-fi internet.

My concern is the death of CD may take SACD with it.

I also fear for SACD's demise, but it's held on this long despite many downs. Please remember, SACD has a huge following in Japan, SACD players are still being made with new models, examples from less than a month ago, Luxman, and Technics, their first SACD player. Even for popular music, SACD is easy for me to engage, I like what I hear, and still prefer it to digital files, even ripped SACD. 

Can make a whole afternoon roll by, one disc after another, totally enjoyable. Same, but not so much with vinyl, it's a different medium with flaws, can also play records one after the other. Must be something with rotating discs :)  

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

6 minutes ago, sandyk said:

How do you know for certain that the downloaded file is a Bit for Bit identical copy of that on the CD version?

Well, it's not a 100% guarantee is it?

- Provenance issues. which versions are downloadable, not really applicable to last two-10(?) years releases, but important from 1990's and before.

- MP3 to FLAC/WAV conversions

- Master tape to many generational master/duplicate tape copies

Wrongly ripped WEB source material

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA