IGNORED

USB CARD XE - Xtreme edition USB Audio output with ground-breaking performance

@Marcin_gps When powering USB XE with a really high quality linear power supply, do you still find that the host computer power supply is as important? 

For example, some people here are spending large amounts of money on linear power supplies for their server builds (7700k, 8700k, AMS 3900x - all 95 watts)... high core count, large cache all sound better.  With JCAT USB XE would using a standard high quality ATX SMPS for the motherboard and CPU no longer be a compromise?

I ask because >8A of 12v linear power supply is very expensive and rare.

• 4 weeks later...

I have preordered mine now! What’s the present ETA for June, early/mid/late?

Also, I will be powering my motherboard with a linear power supply (Sean Jacobs)... I would imagine that this would largely remove the need for using an external dedicated linear power supply... any feedback on this?

Have you ever thought about undertaking J-Test measurements and publishing them?  Seems like a worthwhile objective measurement of performance.

For example:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/innuos-statement-music-server-measurements

and

https://www.stereophile.com/content/roon-labs-nucleus-music-server-measurements

I'm just thinking that a test such as this might also show what can be achieved using USB XE used in different server configurations.

40 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

Thanks for the suggestion. 

It's interesting, but a USB Card is only one piece of the music server puzzle. I think the results may vary quite drastically depending on motherboard, power supplies etc. 

Regards, 
Marcin

Very true - I would paint it in a very positive light as it could give the DIY community more information on how to maximise the performance of USB XE if different senarios where tested.  That way (a bit like what I am trying to do) people can make their own judgements on where to prioritise spend on the other aspects of their server.  It's pretty safe to say that without USB XE being available I would not be building a custom music server, I'm building the server around what USB XE offers. 

Appologies, more questions along the same theme of optimising my approach.. 

1. If using bus power only (no dedicated linear) then what voltages is the card using through the PCI express connection... 12v (stepped down internally by LT3045?), 3.3v or both?
  2. JCAT Website states "State-of-the-art LT3045 linear regulators and filters eliminate noise interferences from a PC" Would you be able to explain a little more about what filtering and noise reduction actually occurs at the PCI Express connection?
  3. If powering USB XE using an internal/external linear power supply, then is it true that the only source of electrically transmitted noise through to the USB XE will therefore be just the SMDAT/SMBus data collection pins?  Do you know which voltage rail the SMDAT/SMBUS data tranmision pins are powered off?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Marcin - thanks for posting.  Mines due Friday :-)

Do you have a diagram for powering the card via LP4 molex?  Just that typical LP4 molex diagrams show 5v+ and GND, Rather than 5V+ and 5V- as per usual DC connection.

Also, PCI bus, vs DC Barrel Jack vs molex - how is the card configured to select the relevant power source.  Does it have a jumper on it?

Thanks

JCAT USB XE and Sablon panatela reserva usb 2020 both arrive in one day... I'm very lucky.

I'm still awaiting linear power supply, so the sound is thin in the lower registers running off my ATX power supply (I presume this is the cause based on past experience), however immediately apparent is the absolute clarity of this combination... vocals are off the scale in terms of realism.

Burn in.... boring!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes sorry 2.8A, earlier typo my mistake.

Current requirements for U192ETL are up to 500 mA.

Normal PC USB output should be fine to deliver up to 500 mA, this power requirement is also communicated via USB descriptors to PC/Host.

Would be great to work out why USB XE isn’t powering my U192ETL correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, tubewin said:

Hello, I just purchased the Jcat USB XE card and I'm really liking it so far except for the random distortion I've been getting. While listening to audirvana or on discord, the sound becomes really digital and screechy and than goes silent. It normally doesn't happen until 10-15 minutes has passed from turning on the computer and lps. I'm using a uptone audio lps 1.2. Is it because I'm stressing the linear power supply? Is it breaking/burning in? Or the worst case scenario, do I have a faulty card?

Only gives you 1.1A - you should choose a power supply that can do at lease 2A.  I bet that would solve your problem.

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, 1laraz said:

A very sly proposal. There are actively cooled expansion boxes from AWC Digital. Given that Jcat USB XE works in passively cooled PCs, it might be acceptable to power off the fan.

The main question however, will the path "motherboard->thunderbolt->expansion box-->Jcat USB XE" be inferior to the "motherboard->Jcat USB XE" in terms of sound quality?

I think you will be unlikely to hear any difference as Thunderbolt is CPU direct… even if you go on a PCIe channel that isn’t CPU direct and goes through a PCI bridge all it does is slightly soften the presentation.

What you are going to hear however if what you MacBook Pro sounds like… laptops aren’t generally the best for music playback compared to a dedicated music server.