IGNORED

Analog Attenuator?

Hi Guys - I've been researching preamps, including those from one of my favorite companies the Bespoke Audio Company. I even configured a preamp from Bespoke with a single input and output. Then I thought, why the heck would I get a preamp with a single in and out, even though that's all I need, when I could just get some type of analog attenuator. 

I only need a single XLR input and single XLR output. 

I see Sonore has its analog attenuator, but it's unbalanced only. 

Question: What are the best analog attenuators people have seen or used (don't worry about price for now)?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

12 minutes ago, ericuco said:

Have you looked at the Goldpoint Level Controls? I have one of their 47 step units with balanced input & output.

If your need is temporary, you are welcome to borrow mine as I am now using the HQP digital volume control.

Thanks Eric, I hadn't seen those. Looking more now. 

Is Roon controlling your volume using HQP or are you using HQP's interface?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

4 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Thanks Alex, I have no idea what to do with the attenuators on their own in a DIY sense. I'm looking for products that I can pop into my system.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks Alex, I have no idea what to do with the attenuators on their own in a DIY sense. I'm looking for products that I can pop into my system.

While the Goldpoint Attenuators look ideal, you will also need to take into account the Input Impedance of the amplifier itself in order to retain a proper Logarithmic control. IOW, the Input impedance of the amplifier should be much higher than the resistance value of the selected attenuator, as well as not too low to unduly load the source equipment .

You should also use the shortest possible connecting leads to avoid HF rolloff .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Do you know the difference between Roon’s and HQP’s volume control?

Perhaps @Miska can help. 

If you use Roon + HQPlayer, then Roon sends volume commands to HQPlayer, these are also visible in Roon's signal path display. You can see volume changes from HQPlayer side as well.

If you use Roon's digital volume control (no HQPlayer), then the implementation is of course different from HQPlayer's in many ways.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Some food for thought, Chris.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/benchmarks-256-step-relay-controlled-attenuator

Kal Robinson's review:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-la4-line-preamplifier

Conclusion
The LA4 is probably the most transparent and revealing audio component I've ever used. It does not seem to leave any fingerprints on the sound. It has a useful array of inputs, outputs, and functions, and the use of sealed relays for volume and input selection assures a long and noise-free life. Benchmark might improve on the display and remote control, but I do not have any criticism of the LA4's sonic performance.

spacer.pngWhile I am making a similar search, albeit for an 8channel balanced version, I am using a DROK USB digital control with my WINPC server running JRiver.  It operates the digital VC in JRMC (and/or the one in my exaSound e38).     I love it.

There are other wireless options like the Microsoft Dial (limited distance range) and any number of inexpensive IR remotes (tiny buttons).

Unfortunately, none seem to work with Roon but no one there seems to be interested in why or why not.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

4 minutes ago, bbosler said:

look no further

http://www.placetteaudio.com/remote_control.htm

to make a balanced version I assume  will be about twice as much since the bulk of the cost is the resistors used. It is what I'm using. Rossini w/clock - Placette balanced Passive - Pass XA30.8 - Avantgarde Duo Omega with bass horns. Remote control completely transparent volume control.... 

IMG_9689.jpg

Very cool!

7 minutes ago, bbosler said:

look no further

http://www.placetteaudio.com/remote_control.htm

to make a balanced version I assume  will be about twice as much since the bulk of the cost is the resistors used. It is what I'm using. Rossini w/clock - Placette balanced Passive - Pass XA30.8 - Avantgarde Duo Omega with bass horns. Remote control completely transparent volume control.... 

IMG_9689.jpg

OMG is that black arch all bass horn, wow. I think the neighbors will hear you just fine. Very nice.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

2 minutes ago, bbosler said:

Placette made me one with 6 so I assume they could do as many as you want

I did look at them and, judging from their technology, that would seem possible.  Unfortunately, I do not see any VC knobs on their stuff and it all is SE.  I need balanced.  Is yours?

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

4 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I did look at them and, judging from their technology, that would seem possible.  Unfortunately, their stuff is all SE and I need balanced.  Is yours?

"We offer truly balanced versions of all of our products at twice the cost of single ended units. To build a truly balanced volume control or preamp requires building four channels of everything instead of the usual stereo pair. Because of the very high cost of the Vishay® resistors and adding extra internal controls and interlocks, it's very expensive and it only offers an advantage in a very few situations. But, because of the extremely good tracking of our balanced four channel volume controls, noise cancellation is the very highest possible because the plus and minus signals are always exactly equal but opposite in phase at every volume setting."

http://www.placetteaudio.com/QandA.htm