IGNORED

Power Supply for 8th gen NUC

I have an 8th gen NUC on the way, model NUC8i3BEH, following a helpful thread I started a few days ago. The NUC will connect via USB to my DAC. Looking at power supply options and reading lots of posts on this forum, I've come up with the following list. Are there others I should consider? I've learned that there are thoughts that SMPS can be competitive, so is there a high-quality SMPS I should be considering?

The specs from Intel call for 19V and 90W. But their product compatibility page includes a 12V 84W PS that is "validated". I assume that means any PS 12-19V will work as long as it can deliver close to 90W.

Here's the list with brief notes. I'd appreciate any guidance on how they might compare and where the value-for-money is.  I'm also very accustomed to buying used equipment, so if there's anything in particular I should keep an eye out for on the used market, I'd appreciate that advice!

Keces P8 8 Amp Ultra Low Noise $699
- single output, 19V 8A
- includes USB output, 5V 1A

HDPLEX 200W AC-DC $64.50
- 19V, 10A

HDPLEX 200W LPS ???
- discontinued

HDPLEX 300W LPS $585
- expected available this month in USA
- 4 outputs 3.3-19V

UpTone Audio JS-2 $925
- two outputs, 5-12V, 5A each

- 1 device cable included

Paul Hynes SR5-19F £630
- single 19V 5A output
- customer complaints of very slow delivery

I also happen to own a Pyramid PS-15KX, 13.8V 10A for non-audio reasons (to run a telescope). I wonder how it might compare to other options.

Thanks again for the help. This forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge.

https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/generic/teddynuc-81.html 19V 3.5A $399

I'd also look at the above, the Teddy Pardo NUC supply. Teddy has a great reputation in the field. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

MichaelH,  did you settle on an LPSU for your 8th gen?  I am looking for one also.  What I have on my shopping list:

Manufacturer Model Amps @ 19V           Cost
Teddy Pardo TeddyNUC 3.5 $399.00
PLiXiR Elementa DC 6 $456.95
MCRU LPS for Nuc+ 3.5 $654.54
Fidelizer NikolaS 3.65 $695.00
Keces P8 8.2 $699.95
PLiXiR Elite BDC 6 $632.70
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been running an 8i7BEH off the 12v output of a JS-2. Am curious as to why the stock power supply is 19v, anyone know why?

Another name I have seen mentioned is Farad,  its output is limited to 3A at 12/19 volts

https://faradpowersupplies.com/shop/en/home/51-15249-super3-power-supply.html#/37-dc_output-19v/53-ac_mains-110_120vac/54-ac_mains-220_240vac/57-front_panel-silver/73-furutech_rhodium_ac_inlet-no/75-dc_connector_option-55_21mm/76-dc_connector_option-55_25mm/83-fuse_upgrade-no

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have a NUC 10 i7 arriving today.  It ships with a 19v 6.32a brick.  Unlike Gen 8, it can’t run on a 12v supply of any sort, so I am limited to a 19v supply.  Several of the ones listed above don’t even make 4 amps.  I can’t find anything on the web that indicates how low I can go in the amperage department. Do any of you have a sense how low I can go when considering an LPS for a Gen 10.

Also, mine only will be connected to a router and not via USB.  I have read that an LPS can’t provide a sound quality advantage if it’s used only with a network connection.  Any truth to that?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

On 5/26/2020 at 10:05 AM, raudio said:

MichaelH,  did you settle on an LPSU for your 8th gen?  I am looking for one also.  What I have on my shopping list:

Manufacturer Model Amps @ 19V           Cost
Teddy Pardo TeddyNUC 3.5 $399.00
PLiXiR Elementa DC 6 $456.95
MCRU LPS for Nuc+ 3.5 $654.54
Fidelizer NikolaS 3.65 $695.00
Keces P8 8.2 $699.95
PLiXiR Elite BDC 6 $632.70

Raudio, where did you find that pricing for the PliXir?  The 6a versions appear to cost significantly more at PliXir’s own site.  Are they discounted elsewhere?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7> Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > EtherRegen > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Tier 2 > Wyred4Sound 10th Anniversary DAC > Wyred4Sound STI-500 > Revel F32 Concertas

Basement:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7>Roon/Audirvana/JRiver Media Server > ASUS AC-87R Router > Netgear GS348 Switch >TrendNet FMC>Sonore OpticalModule> UltraRendu > NuPrime IDA-8 > KEF LS50's

On 4/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, MichaelH said:

UpTone Audio JS-2 $925
- two outputs, 5-12V, 5A each

Hi:

Thanks for the mention.  Just to be clear for others who encounter this thread, our choke-filtered, dual-output JS-2 can deliver 7.4 amps at 12V all day long from a single rail (provided AC mains input is 120/240V; max current at 12V is less with 115/230V or 110/220V)—and barely even get warm. :D

The 5A rating is for when a user adjusts to 5V output.

There are more than a hundred people using JS-2s to power Intel NUCs and Roon Nucleus+. Yes the DC input jacks and general spec sheets of those machines say 19V, but as pointed out, the actual NUC logic board documentation shows 12~19V.

There is some question about the new 10th generation NUCs: Intel’s detailed docs no longer show a 12~19V input range, but it is not at all certain as to if that is true or if it was simply an oversight by whoever was writing/editing the document. 
I really doubt that Intel changed all the DC-DC voltage regulators on the new boards to ones that don’t run from 12V just as well.

[Remember, there are no chips in a computer that run directly from any of these high voltages—it ALL gets stepped down to 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.2V, 1.1V for the chips themselves.  Higher input voltages simply allow for lower current outboard supplies; it’s all about the watts and the efficiency of the DC-DC switching converters on the motherboard.]

Maybe someone will loan me their 10th-gen NUC for a day so I can run current and voltage tests to definitively determine what’s up with these models. B|

2 hours ago, NYCEnglish said:

Is 12V sufficient when the NUC has two internal SSD drives installed?

Sure, 12V is fine.  It is about current capability not voltage level. Extra drives just add a small additional current requirement (SSDs don't draw much though.)

[Think of current as strength to lift, and voltage as height of shelf to lift up to.]

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

[Think of current as strength to lift, and voltage as height of shelf to lift up to.]

Nice one Alex, I like that.  Also, think of current as something which is drawn (or pulled) by the load-the load in this case being the NUC.  A power supply will only deliver the current which the load is drawing from it.

I also have something here which is just taking up space which I would probably sell you for much less than these other supplies go for new.  It is linear power supply, and I think i have set to 19 VDC output, and the current capability should suit your needs.  I would have to drag it out and check it for your requirements as I cannot remember for sure!  But shoot me a PM if you are interested.  This supply features a very, very low noise, low impedance, discretely regulated, output.

ROON: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModule-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY AC, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Orange Fuses, Dark Matter system clarifiers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio