IGNORED

Power Supply for 8th gen NUC

I have an 8th gen NUC on the way, model NUC8i3BEH, following a helpful thread I started a few days ago. The NUC will connect via USB to my DAC. Looking at power supply options and reading lots of posts on this forum, I've come up with the following list. Are there others I should consider? I've learned that there are thoughts that SMPS can be competitive, so is there a high-quality SMPS I should be considering?

The specs from Intel call for 19V and 90W. But their product compatibility page includes a 12V 84W PS that is "validated". I assume that means any PS 12-19V will work as long as it can deliver close to 90W.

Here's the list with brief notes. I'd appreciate any guidance on how they might compare and where the value-for-money is.  I'm also very accustomed to buying used equipment, so if there's anything in particular I should keep an eye out for on the used market, I'd appreciate that advice!

Keces P8 8 Amp Ultra Low Noise $699
- single output, 19V 8A
- includes USB output, 5V 1A

HDPLEX 200W AC-DC $64.50
- 19V, 10A

HDPLEX 200W LPS ???
- discontinued

HDPLEX 300W LPS $585
- expected available this month in USA
- 4 outputs 3.3-19V

UpTone Audio JS-2 $925
- two outputs, 5-12V, 5A each

- 1 device cable included

Paul Hynes SR5-19F £630
- single 19V 5A output
- customer complaints of very slow delivery

I also happen to own a Pyramid PS-15KX, 13.8V 10A for non-audio reasons (to run a telescope). I wonder how it might compare to other options.

Thanks again for the help. This forum is an amazing wealth of knowledge.

https://www.teddypardo.com/powersupplies/generic/teddynuc-81.html 19V 3.5A $399

I'd also look at the above, the Teddy Pardo NUC supply. Teddy has a great reputation in the field. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...

MichaelH,  did you settle on an LPSU for your 8th gen?  I am looking for one also.  What I have on my shopping list:

Manufacturer Model Amps @ 19V           Cost
Teddy Pardo TeddyNUC 3.5 $399.00
PLiXiR Elementa DC 6 $456.95
MCRU LPS for Nuc+ 3.5 $654.54
Fidelizer NikolaS 3.65 $695.00
Keces P8 8.2 $699.95
PLiXiR Elite BDC 6 $632.70
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been running an 8i7BEH off the 12v output of a JS-2. Am curious as to why the stock power supply is 19v, anyone know why?

Another name I have seen mentioned is Farad,  its output is limited to 3A at 12/19 volts

https://faradpowersupplies.com/shop/en/home/51-15249-super3-power-supply.html#/37-dc_output-19v/53-ac_mains-110_120vac/54-ac_mains-220_240vac/57-front_panel-silver/73-furutech_rhodium_ac_inlet-no/75-dc_connector_option-55_21mm/76-dc_connector_option-55_25mm/83-fuse_upgrade-no

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I have a NUC 10 i7 arriving today.  It ships with a 19v 6.32a brick.  Unlike Gen 8, it can’t run on a 12v supply of any sort, so I am limited to a 19v supply.  Several of the ones listed above don’t even make 4 amps.  I can’t find anything on the web that indicates how low I can go in the amperage department. Do any of you have a sense how low I can go when considering an LPS for a Gen 10.

Also, mine only will be connected to a router and not via USB.  I have read that an LPS can’t provide a sound quality advantage if it’s used only with a network connection.  Any truth to that?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 5/26/2020 at 10:05 AM, raudio said:

MichaelH,  did you settle on an LPSU for your 8th gen?  I am looking for one also.  What I have on my shopping list:

Manufacturer Model Amps @ 19V           Cost
Teddy Pardo TeddyNUC 3.5 $399.00
PLiXiR Elementa DC 6 $456.95
MCRU LPS for Nuc+ 3.5 $654.54
Fidelizer NikolaS 3.65 $695.00
Keces P8 8.2 $699.95
PLiXiR Elite BDC 6 $632.70

Raudio, where did you find that pricing for the PliXir?  The 6a versions appear to cost significantly more at PliXir’s own site.  Are they discounted elsewhere?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

On 4/4/2020 at 12:51 PM, MichaelH said:

UpTone Audio JS-2 $925
- two outputs, 5-12V, 5A each

Hi:

Thanks for the mention.  Just to be clear for others who encounter this thread, our choke-filtered, dual-output JS-2 can deliver 7.4 amps at 12V all day long from a single rail (provided AC mains input is 120/240V; max current at 12V is less with 115/230V or 110/220V)—and barely even get warm. :D

The 5A rating is for when a user adjusts to 5V output.

There are more than a hundred people using JS-2s to power Intel NUCs and Roon Nucleus+. Yes the DC input jacks and general spec sheets of those machines say 19V, but as pointed out, the actual NUC logic board documentation shows 12~19V.

There is some question about the new 10th generation NUCs: Intel’s detailed docs no longer show a 12~19V input range, but it is not at all certain as to if that is true or if it was simply an oversight by whoever was writing/editing the document. 
I really doubt that Intel changed all the DC-DC voltage regulators on the new boards to ones that don’t run from 12V just as well.

[Remember, there are no chips in a computer that run directly from any of these high voltages—it ALL gets stepped down to 3.3V, 2.5V, 1.2V, 1.1V for the chips themselves.  Higher input voltages simply allow for lower current outboard supplies; it’s all about the watts and the efficiency of the DC-DC switching converters on the motherboard.]

Maybe someone will loan me their 10th-gen NUC for a day so I can run current and voltage tests to definitively determine what’s up with these models. B|

2 hours ago, NYCEnglish said:

Is 12V sufficient when the NUC has two internal SSD drives installed?

Sure, 12V is fine.  It is about current capability not voltage level. Extra drives just add a small additional current requirement (SSDs don't draw much though.)

[Think of current as strength to lift, and voltage as height of shelf to lift up to.]

7 minutes ago, Superdad said:

[Think of current as strength to lift, and voltage as height of shelf to lift up to.]

Nice one Alex, I like that.  Also, think of current as something which is drawn (or pulled) by the load-the load in this case being the NUC.  A power supply will only deliver the current which the load is drawing from it.

I also have something here which is just taking up space which I would probably sell you for much less than these other supplies go for new.  It is linear power supply, and I think i have set to 19 VDC output, and the current capability should suit your needs.  I would have to drag it out and check it for your requirements as I cannot remember for sure!  But shoot me a PM if you are interested.  This supply features a very, very low noise, low impedance, discretely regulated, output.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 4 months later...

I'm thinking of buying an Keces P8 to power my NUC8i5BEH.

Will the 9/12V(4A)+12/15V(4A) version be suffice? 

I can go to the 9/12V(4A)+18/19V(4A) version, but in the future, if I change NUC to another streamer, probably I will end up not being able to use the 19V port on any another device.

The NUC has 28W THD, it only has 2x 8Gb RAM + 16gb Optane driver inside it. Also as an DAC connected to it, but the DAC has is own power supply.

12v*4a = 48W, should be enough power the NUC, no?

If this is not enough can I power the NUC with 15V*4a(60W) port?

Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

I can go to the 9/12V(4A)+18/19V(4A) version, but in the future, if I change NUC to another streamer, probably I will end up not being able to use the 19V port on any another device.

The NUC has 28W THD, it only has 2x 8Gb RAM + 16gb Optane driver inside it. Also as an DAC connected to it, but the DAC has is own power supply.

Thank you in advance.

My understanding is that the NUC is capable of running at 12v through your Gen 8.  (Unfortunately, my NUC 10 requires a real 19v, which Uptone's Alex Crespi confirmed when I lent it to him for testing.) 

20 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

My understanding is that the NUC is capable of running at 12v through your Gen 8.  (Unfortunately, my NUC 10 requires a real 19v, which Uptone's Alex Crespi confirmed when I lent it to him for testing.) 

Yes, the NUC is capable of running at 12V, my problems is knowing if 4A at 12V(48W) is enough for the NUC to operate properly.

On 11/2/2020 at 10:52 AM, m.i.c.k.e.y said:

During my hunt, I came across Plixir in Singapore. They do balanced, double (two stage) regulated LPS.

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power/products/plixir-elite-bdc-2a-4a-6a

https://www.mysoundaffairs.com/collections/power/products/custom-plixir-bdc

Thank you for the suggestion but that seems to expensive for what I'm looking for.

2 hours ago, mnuno10 said:

Yes, the NUC is capable of running at 12V, my problems is knowing if 4A at 12V(48W) is enough for the NUC to operate properly.

Thank you for the suggestion but that seems to expensive for what I'm looking for.

Good LPS's do run around $500 with the requisite amperage. Less expensive ones will have more audible voltage contaminants in USB out

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

18 minutes ago, davide256 said:

Good LPS's do run around $500 with the requisite amperage. Less expensive ones will have more audible voltage contaminants in USB out

Sorry, I didn't understand. Keces P8 costs about 700€, but it can power 2 devices(well 3 if you count with the 5V/1A USB output). It's a well regarded LPS and with it I can power 2/3 devices, with only one box, and it is in the price range that I'm looking for. I know that can be better options out there but for the price and with the ability of powering multiple devices, I don't know any(I'm not interested in HDPlex ones). My problem is to know if 12/15V(4A) is enough for the NUC. Because I really want to avoid buy the Keces P8 with 18/19V(4A). 

In this tests playing FIFA in NUC requires "only" 50W, I only use NUC with JPlay Femto with almost everything disabled. So it seems that 15v at 4A(60W) should be enough, but I really want to know has experience with it.

https://nucblog.net/2018/11/coffee-lake-i5-nuc-review-nuc8i5bek-nuc8i5beh/3/

On 11/2/2020 at 5:44 AM, mnuno10 said:

Thank you in advance.

your nuc has a tdp of 28w, the optane consumes 3.5w and the 2 pieces of ram will consume 2.4w.  so 34w total -- you're safe with 12v/4a.  even if the dac needs power for the usb handshake, you'll be fine.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
19 hours ago, jcn3 said:

your nuc has a tdp of 28w, the optane consumes 3.5w and the 2 pieces of ram will consume 2.4w.  so 34w total -- you're safe with 12v/4a.  even if the dac needs power for the usb handshake, you'll be fine.

That's great! Thank you very much for the input.

• 1 month later...

bought a Super Farad 3 @12V (3A) because I wanted something I could swap back and forth between NUC and pre amp. Over all a pretty nice, compact unit.

It will not boot/power an 8i7BEH NUC in turbo mode but worked for me with all other options enabled using 16gb RAM, 16Gb Optane drive + 2.5" HD installed.

As benchmarks I found it better than the HDPLex200W I had tried, no sense of strain, very "solid" sound Not as good as the Uptone Audio JS-2 already

in place, a slight accentuation of digital edge through a Schiit Eitr, YMMV with a better asynch USB input. Its doing great now powering the pre but I wouldn't

hesitate to power a compatible NUC with it if I didn't already own a JS-2

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Mops911 said:

Gen11 NUCs are again spec'd to run 12-24V

Of course.  Anything that I buy addresses my objections in the next version.  :)

On 6/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, Superdad said:

max current at 12V

Hello @Superdad

What I think I  know is that devices run more efficient on higher voltage, meaning cooler, which induces less stress. Why should I consider running a NUC on 12v if I could run it on 19v, e.g. lets say I have a switchable power supply.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Mops911 said:

Hello @Superdad

What I think I  know is that devices run more efficient on higher voltage, meaning cooler, which induces less stress. Why should I consider running a NUC on 12v if I could run it on 19v, e.g. lets say I have a switchable power supply.

Thanks

Actually, you have it backwards:  an electronic component which has a range of allowable voltage input will run cooler, and with less stress, with a lower voltage input.  Here is why:  The component, takes the incoming voltage, and (virtually always) regulates that voltage down to the working voltages required by the various internal circuits.  Voltage regulation to a lower voltage is a lossy process, and creates some waste heat, and this waste heat is proportional to the amount of the voltage reduction: the more the voltage must be reduced, the more waste heat is created.

There is another factor as well, worth considering, but which is hard for a user to know the answer to:  for every component, there is likely a voltage input at which its internal voltage regulators work "best", and this is usually a bit above their minimum allowable voltage to achieve the desired output (known as the dropout voltage, below which the regulators stop regulating).

Bottom line is, without a very precise internal audit of all the internal voltages and noise parameters, best advice, is to run on a "medium" voltage input within the allowable range.  I would not choose to run at the lowest allowable voltage, as the internal regulators may run a bit better (less noise and lower output impedance) with a bit of voltage headroom, but I would also advise that running at the max allowable voltage just wastes energy, and raises heat levels unnecessarily.  In a computer, processors generally run better when kept relatively cool, so making choices which raise internal temperatures are counter indicated.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio