IGNORED

Jitter at DSD rates

7 hours ago, Siltech817 said:

Of course not, however I was not only referring to airborne vibration, this can even be a function of the power supply, or the resonant characteristics of certain capacitors or other elements in the circuit including the placement of the oscillator itself, and the overall layout of the board.

Since everything is built to a price point, not all will be created equal with regard to careful attention paid and budget allowed for this element of the design. Not a one size fits all answer, and yes it's audible, and no I don't have any sophisticated measurement equipment, nor do I feel compelled to provide any ABX testing results.

Place a DAC on different kinds of footers, shelves, racks, etc... made from different materials. It does not all sound the same. Neither do all different DSD capable DACs sound the same, and this is likely one reason or contributing factor as to why, unless you think jitter is fake news or something like that. TI for example does not.

It's not crazy to think this sort of thing can be audible, though because the audio industry has never agreed to a set of criteria for what and how to measure jitter, and then proven what is audible and what is not, it's silly for anyone to get up on a soapbox and suggest they know everything there is to know about it, or that the only issue would be if one were so stupid as to place a DAC on top of a subwoofer.

snaa296.pdf 2.77 MB · 5 downloads

So the paper used 4g acceleration for sine vibration, 7.5g for random, and 500g for shock. I would hope you don't normally experience these levels anywhere near your DAC... But, if you do, then there may be some added jitter. This would place your listening room conditions to be somewhere between a jet airplane and boost stage of a missile:

image.png.8c1b8acef94d51c6d186b10e85a39e30.png

6 hours ago, jabbr said:

I post this article frequently:

https://www.sitime.com/company/news/blog/what-you-need-know-about-phase-noise-and-jitter-high-speed-systems

(it demonstrates that certain clock oscillators are vibration sensitive)

Ok so we know this ... but hmm what is the effect of jitter in the 11 or 22 Mhz DAC clock (DSD256/DSD512) on the DAC output? Clocks are pretty good these days ... so while it most certainly isn't crazy to think that jitter is audible, there is a limit to what might be audible i.e. how many dB down can you hear anything? 

Thank you for that link, very interesting for sure.

My point is that neither pkane2001, nor anyone else, possesses any absolute proof as to what is audible in this realm and what is not, and until such time as the actual measurement method and means are agreed upon and standardized, he is pissing in the wind, and needs to get down off that soapbox.

Subwoofer or rocket launch, which one is it?

Power supply architecture, choice of capacitor type, and board size/layout, only trivial?

We know not.

What about EMI/RFI, might we consider that as a form of vibration or resonance in terms of its actual effect or influence on audio circuits?

5 hours ago, Siltech817 said:

Again, SO WHAT? 

You read the TI brief correctly of course, but that in no way means that you have solid verifiable evidence that vibration or resonance at lower levels, including that which is not airborne, bears no audible effect on audio systems.

You don't know that, and I can tell that either you've never ever tried what I described with using footers of differing materials, shelving, racks etc... under DACs (or any other audio component for that matter) or, if you did, your expectation bias (that is: you already know all there is to know about this) fully prevented you from hearing any differences.

Note I make no claim as to the exact magnitude of such a difference, nor make any claim that one can equate that difference with any particular cost delta in an exacting manner. To each their own on the cost delta.

Did your subwoofer as component support example actually prove anything relative to the paper I attached? I thought according to your post this was only an issue of jet engine type vibration, or rocket launch type vibration? Now only vibration from a subwoofer can create an audible difference in the realm of audio systems? Really? At what SPL must we have the sub's output before a problem can occur?

So you know this to be the case then, and all assertion to the contrary can easily be refuted with detailed measurements as provided by who, the "science" site?

I think not.

BTW - I see you fully skipped the part about board layout, resonant characteristics of capacitors chosen, or the power supply proximity. Shall we include EMI/RFI fields as well? Thermal influence too?

Wow, buddy. You are putting so many words in my mouth, I'm starting to choke. Did I claim any absolutes? Did I state that only vibration from a subwoofer can cause jitter? Did I assert anything at all, except to provide an interpretation of the paper you posted, which is perfectly consistent with the study conducted?

How about, instead of you telling me that I can't possibly know everything (hint: I don't), or telling me that I can't prove a negative (hint: I can't) you provide an objective evidence that you can hear the effects of a crystal vibration due to the speaker sound in your listening room (hint: you can, but only if you want to).

Oh, and why do you bring in EMI/RFI or thermal effects that are not related to the simple physical shock and vibration? I made no statements about these.

5 hours ago, Siltech817 said:

My point is that neither pkane2001, nor anyone else, possesses any absolute proof as to what is audible

Only a Sith Deals in Absolutes. And I'm no Sith 😜