IGNORED

Audiophile fuses

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2020 at 11:45 PM, AnotherSpin said:

The idea is as follows. In your electric supply line there is a cheap element, intentionally made of a cheap thin core so that it will burn up during overload. In addition, at the input and output the cheap element is not soldered or rigidly connected to the main cable, it just adjoins - the contact place is weak and made from cheap material again. All power goes through this connection. The idea is to replace it with a higher quality element, which retains the function of protecting your audio from overload, but will provide better transmission of electricity. 

Not disputing your description, but, personally, the "audiophile" fuses I tried a few years back usually didn't last a week.  I tend to keep my past tweaks and just recently threw out the blown fuses.  Was shaking my head the whole time about wasted money.  That is not to say that I don't believe that some folks have found the ideal fuse in the ideal setting and hear an improvement; however I would be surprised if the difference is measurable.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

Not disputing your description, but, personally, the "audiophile" fuses I tried a few years back usually didn't last a week.  I tend to keep my past tweaks and just recently threw out the blown fuses.  Was shaking my head the whole time about wasted money.  That is not to say that I don't believe that some folks have found the ideal fuse in the ideal setting and hear an improvement; however I would be surprised if the difference is measurable.   

Any fuse, audiophile or ordinary, should last very long, if electric line or component design is fine. I used Silent Wire fuses together with module, they don't burn out. https://www.silent-wire.de/en/installationen/sound-fuse.html 

3 hours ago, PYP said:

Not disputing your description, but, personally, the "audiophile" fuses I tried a few years back usually didn't last a week.  

If the fuses were the same Amps rating, it sounds like you may have been replacing a slow blow type with a normal Audiophile fuse of the same rating.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

If the fuses were the same Amps rating, it sounds like you may have been replacing a slow blow type with a normal Audiophile fuse of the same rating.

Agree that one cannot underestimate user error.  But, I'm sure it was slow blow.  It took a week to fail.  That is slow, right?  :)

Actually, it was the component.  Had no such problem with its successor (different manufacturer).  Just couldn't figure out why the stock fuse of the same type and value would work, but the audiophile one didn't.  That isn't why I upgraded the component btw.  

I have to admit that the part of me that is an objectivist, complains when fuses make a difference in the sound.  I think the designer and manufacturer should maximize their designs and that it isn't my job to change fuses.   And I'm not  sure if different sound = better sound.  Perhaps, like cables, what we are hearing is a form of distortion (and I'm all in on cables, BTW).  And when folks start talking about the directionality of fuses, I just tune out...  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

6 hours ago, PYP said:

Agree that one cannot underestimate user error.  But, I'm sure it was slow blow.  It took a week to fail.  That is slow, right?  

No. It's the continuing high current surges at switch on that eventually result in failure .

Your last paragraph sounds very reasonable to me. :)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

No. It's the continuing high current surges at switch on that eventually result in failure . 

Yes, understood about how it actually fails.  Was just joking.  Obviously not funny.   Thanks.  

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

Your last paragraph sounds very reasonable to me. :)

I have ventured to the dark side (objectivity)... :)     I had no idea the power of the dark side!