IGNORED

Macbook doesn't recognize DAC after update

DeathFugue

Question

I have a 2019 Macbook Pro which has worked great with the DAC in my McIntosh MA9000 until yesterday when I "updated" the OS to Catalina 10.15.4. Now, it doesn't recognize the DAC. Yes, I've rebooted multiple times, but nothing works. I tried calling Apple support in the very dim hope that one of their advisers knows anything about computer audio, but I hung up after being on hold for 20 minutes! Any suggestions?  

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

5 answers to this question

Turns out one of the two USB ports died. It was working just before I did the "update," so something must have gone wrong there. I just got back from dropping it off at an Apple repair facility. Updating to Catalina shortly after I bought it wasn't a problem, it was the new version that just came out this week. I'm done updating! I once updated the BIOS in a Dell PC, and I ended up with a paperweight!

B&W 803D3 speakers

Thread 25 on the same subject going back years and years.  Every so called upgrade leads to a few DAC recognition problems. 

Just takes time to resolve.  Computers are for email, not music.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

The Apple repair facility couldn't find anything wrong! I took the portable hard drive that it wouldn't read with me when I picked it up, and sure enough the MacBook read it just fine. I guess it was just one of those weird computer hiccups. 

B&W 803D3 speakers