IGNORED

Best version of Windows for AO?

Crom

Hi all,

I have been using AudioLinux for a few years with some good results but my Roon Database has grown to the point where I need to return to Windows, as RoonServer is significantly more stable on that OS. So, as a previous happy user of AO I'd like to explore its benefits once again but which operating system should I choose? I previously used 2012 R2 and from some initial reading I read that @AudioPhil recommended headless. I also read that @dminches commented that moving to server 2019 GUI would bring the SQ of previous server versions but with the benefit of a GUI. I also understand that one must decide whether to install core or GUI and we can no longer change between the two like we did back in 2012. So, whilst I'm quite happy using a command line, I'd prefer to avoid it if possible. So what's the best OS?

2012 R2 core?

2016 GUI or core?

2019 GUI?

....or is it worth going 2019 core?

Thank you for any help and opinion you may have.

Regards,

Ben

Great stuff. thanks both.

Last week I had Linux with a constantly problematic Roon database (NB - nothing at all to do with audiolinux, I really rate that distro. The issue was with mono libraries that are used under linux, by Roon). Documented issues here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonappliance-system-private-corelib-system-outofmemoryexception/98175

Yesterday I had Windows 10 Pro.

Last night I wrestled with installed 2019 GUI on a NUC (what a pain...network drivers, graphic drivers...). Anyway, 2019 is installed along with a shiny new upgrade to AO 3 (nice work @AudioPhil). Sitting here and it's sounding great....no...REALLY GREAT!

Gah...it's got me tempted to build a new server to replace the NUC now...

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 10:10 PM, Crom said:

Great stuff. thanks both.

Last week I had Linux with a constantly problematic Roon database (NB - nothing at all to do with audiolinux, I really rate that distro. The issue was with mono libraries that are used under linux, by Roon). Documented issues here: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roonappliance-system-private-corelib-system-outofmemoryexception/98175

Yesterday I had Windows 10 Pro.

Last night I wrestled with installed 2019 GUI on a NUC (what a pain...network drivers, graphic drivers...). Anyway, 2019 is installed along with a shiny new upgrade to AO 3 (nice work @AudioPhil). Sitting here and it's sounding great....no...REALLY GREAT!

Gah...it's got me tempted to build a new server to replace the NUC now...

Indeed great news :) Hope you enjoy it!

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide