IGNORED

audio streaming issue/question

New member here. Have a question on streaming audio. I recently signed up for a 30 day trail of Qobuz, i want to be able to stream from my iPad pro to my receiver (Yamaha 1030) via DLNA. I can stream with no issues with airplay, but i know that airplay is limited to CD quality 16bit/44khz. I downloaded mconnect lite and tried streaming via upnp and it works for cd quality, but when i choose the 24bit/96khz option , it will start cutting out about 20 seconds into  a track. Is this a internet bandwidth problem ? ,tested my internet speed and its around 25MBPS . Is it an issue with my receiver? I also signed up for a trail of Audirvana and when it connected to my receiver it has my supported PCM rates as 44.1,48 kHz. When i start streaming 24 bit tracks the player is showing 16 bit (down sampling?). Would i be better off with a faster internet package or maybe choose another streaming option like a Allo Digione? Sorry if my questions are all over the place.

Note: I am not a DLNA expert.

I think you need a server set up somewhere (PC/NAS/et.) running Minimserver or similar...the Yamaha's DLNA capability is only as an endpoint (I think...).  You need to read your manual on how to setup.  You might be still using AirPlay and hence the inability.  That said you are on the edge with your internet service at 3 MBytes/sec...That is a fairly high saturation to stream 24-96.  Make sure nothing else is accessing the internet (kids/spouse/etc.).  

I use Minimserver or LMS UPNP/DLNA on my NAS and can stream to several different devices...although 95% of what I do is LMS to my Squeezebox Touch.

For streaming devices a RPi will be pretty close to as low in dollar terms as you can get.  Only gets more.

Your first step is to check your Yamaha manual on what you need to setup a DLNA stream.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

7 hours ago, jcbenten said:

Note: I am not a DLNA expert.

I think you need a server set up somewhere (PC/NAS/et.) running Minimserver or similar...the Yamaha's DLNA capability is only as an endpoint (I think...).  You need to read your manual on how to setup.  You might be still using AirPlay and hence the inability.  That said you are on the edge with your internet service at 3 MBytes/sec...That is a fairly high saturation to stream 24-96.  Make sure nothing else is accessing the internet (kids/spouse/etc.).  

I use Minimserver or LMS UPNP/DLNA on my NAS and can stream to several different devices...although 95% of what I do is LMS to my Squeezebox Touch.

For streaming devices a RPi will be pretty close to as low in dollar terms as you can get.  Only gets more.

Your first step is to check your Yamaha manual on what you need to setup a DLNA stream.

Thanks for reply . My receiver is set up for DLNA, it reads media server on screen on the GUI when I'm streaming via mconnect using DLNA and airplay when using airplay. I think you're right that my internet connection might be the issue, since it will play some of a track, but begins to stutter . I am guessing that even if a got a RPI , i would still have issue with network speed?

An RPI will not help internet speed.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Maybe you need a range extender to boost the wi-fi signal?

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 3/30/2020 at 3:37 PM, hawk49 said:

Thanks for reply . My receiver is set up for DLNA, it reads media server on screen on the GUI when I'm streaming via mconnect using DLNA and airplay when using airplay. I think you're right that my internet connection might be the issue, since it will play some of a track, but begins to stutter . I am guessing that even if a got a RPI , i would still have issue with network speed?

Can you increase the buffer to account for dips in download speed?

6 hours ago, jcbenten said:

Can you increase the buffer to account for dips in download speed?

I can try. I have a wifi extended (netgear n300) hooked up right behind receiver with an ethernet connection between the 2. I can play Qobuz and tidal 24/96 with Audirvana with no stuttering or dropouts on my IMAC and its hooked to the same wi-fi network. during initial setup Audirvana detected my receiver , it set up my pcm limits at 44, 48kz. but , when it detected my IMAC dac it shows the limits as 44.1, 88.2 and 96. So maybe the DAC in my receiver can't handle 24/96?

• 2 months later...

I have had this problem for a long time with Wifi. 

You can try a homeplug -> but homeplugs give some noise on your power lines. It can be a good way to check if it's the wifi.

If it is the wifi, I would suggest to run a cable from your server to the endpoint/amp. Best sounding and no lag!