IGNORED

Want to purchase HQPlayer, but about it's more robust features?

vvcv

5 hours ago, biosailor said:

Great compilation! I wasn‘t aware that most PCM filters upsample from 16 to 24 bits. Or is the function of the dithering filter? 

Thanks 🙂

The number of bits depends on the DAC. My Denafrips Terminator can do 24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz on all input and
1.536kHz on USB & I²S input. It doesn't matter for DSD, DSD is always 1 bit.

Here is a list with DACs bypass digital filtering:

Which DACs bypass digital filtering?

5 hours ago, vvcv said:

So, if your original file is PCM, and not listening to upsampled PCM, do the HQP filters make any alterations to the music signal?

No, as far as I know, the HQPlayer does not change the music signal. In digital streams, the aim is to generate an analog amplitude from 0 and 1. In my opinion, the DAC (Digital Analog Converter) can do this better if it doesn't have to perform any filters and no upsampling (NOS). That is why it is not the output format (PCM or DSD) that matters. Important is only the format that is available shortly before the conversion.

To my ears, DSD is more organic and less digital. Some manufacturers automatically convert all signals to DSD, for example PS Audio DirectStream DAC and EMM Labs DA2.

These DACs are not for me because I prefer to do the DSD conversion with a powerful Audio PC and HQPlayer. See also:

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Do you use HQPlayer because I’m confused about what you are saying here?

Yes, I use HQPlayer with great enthusiasm. What do you mean by changing the music signal? Changing the frequency response is a change for me. For example, by folding for room correction. Or through the loudness switch or bass control, etc.

In my opinion, the great filters, oversampling algorithms, dither and DSD modulators from HQPlayer pursue a single goal: to get as close as possible to the original analog music signal on a digital level. Is this a change in the original music signal? I'm not sure. 😉