IGNORED

Catalina Music App duplicates

My music library is in a lot of chaos.  But, I am trying to sort it out.  In the old iTunes, I could go to File> Library >show duplicates and in that screen there was a "same album" button.  Not so in Catalina.  I did show duplicates and 8,000 items showed up.  Half of what I could see had a cloud next to them.  I searched and found a command for view>only downloaded files. Now there are 5200 files but they do not appear to be duplicates.  I selected by title and by album, but I do not see where there are duplicates.  I tried calling Apple support but the wait was killing me.  I would appreciate any assistance.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/change-where-music-files-are-stored-mus69248042d/mac

KirkMc, I have had enough time during this quarantine to work on the duplicates issue.

I tried Dupin and was not fully satisfied.  I then tried Tune Sweeper 4 and did not get any better solution.  I then went to Duplicate File Fixer.  During this time, Apple support sent me to the above link. In reading it over several times, it seems that Catalina Music App creates duplicate files.  

"You can consolidate all the files in your library in the Music folder—for example, to make it easier to move your library to a new computer.

1. In the Music app f35a3359ed041c52f973d652a65d41f8.png on your Mac, choose File > Library > Organize Library.

2. Select “Consolidate files.

Files remain in their original locations, and copies are placed in the default folder."

I ran Duplicate File Fixer on the two different folders and found several duplicates in each.  But, I am not happy with two Music folders.  Have you had any issues with this?  I downloaded your latest book and will read for any solutions.

Thanks

• 1 year later...