IGNORED

Catalina Music App duplicates

I suspect the reason for this happening may be because the iTunes Media folder (i.e. the actual Artist/Album music library) lost its link to the other top-level files under the iTunes folder (iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Library .xml etc) when the switch of operating system was made. Many folk keep their iTunes Media folder in a separate location to the other folders in their top-level iTunes folder.

The solution to this is to keep all the folders under the iTunes folder in the same location. I've been doing this for many years (keeping the iTunes folder on a USB disc separate from the system disc) and have had no problems when upgrading the Mac OS (now on Catalina).

@Pamelane do you have all these iTunes folders still available in the their state before you upgraded? Is the old iTunes Media folder in a different location to the top-level iTunes folder? If the answer is yes to both these questions I suggest that you create a new top-level iTunes folder containing both the old iTunes Media folder as well as the old iTunes Library.itl, iTunes Library .xml etc, in a new location. Then whilst depressing the alt key run the Music app. This will request you to choose a library: make note of where your current library is and then select the new iTunes folder you have created (NOT the iTunes Media folder). This should pick up your library in the form it was before your current problems. Note if this does not work you can always go back to where you were by restarting the Music app whilst depressing the alt key and choosing your old library location.

Hope this helps.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800