Rate this topic

Hey Guys,

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a JS-2 to power my etherregen. Can anyone with a JS-2 powering an etherregen comment on what improvements if any I might hear. Also another 2 questions: 1) I also want to power another component that will be on the A side of the etherregen—-can I power both the etherregen and the A side component from the same JS-2 power supply without detrimental effects? 2) is the JS-2 a floating design such that I would need to ground the etherregen (I will have more than one connection to the A side of etherregen)? 

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!

Ron

Yes, powering the EtherREGEN and an A side device from the same JS-2 is fine

On 3/25/2020 at 3:12 PM, ikemi said:

Hey Guys,

I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a JS-2 to power my etherregen. Can anyone with a JS-2 powering an etherregen comment on what improvements if any I might hear. Also another 2 questions: 1) I also want to power another component that will be on the A side of the etherregen—-can I power both the etherregen and the A side component from the same JS-2 power supply without detrimental effects? 2) is the JS-2 a floating design such that I would need to ground the etherregen (I will have more than one connection to the A side of etherregen)? 

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!

Ron

Yes, powering an EtherREGEN and an A side device from the same JS-2 is fine. The JS-2 negative outputs are isolated from the Safety ground on the AC power cord. You might want to try grounding the "ground screw" on the EtherREGEN ans see if it makes any difference.

John S.

Thank you JS for the quick reply—— much appreciated. I have another question for you if you don’t mind. Many people on this form talk about using one linear power supply to power another linear power supply. How does that work and what are the benefits if any of going that? Could doing that in some way improve sound quality? Thanks in advance for considering my questions!!

Ron

5 hours ago, ikemi said:

Many people on this form talk about using one linear power supply to power another linear power supply. How does that work and what are the benefits if any of going that? 

Hi Ron:

Well the JS-2 is a full AC>DC dual-output, choke-filtered, 5-7.4 amp linear power supply.  One can not power it with some other LPS.

However, there are some DC>DC power supplies (including a somewhat popular DIY board brand) which take DC in at one voltage (just about the target output voltage) and run that though low-noise regulators to then output DC.

And then there is the unique case of our own UltraCap LPS-1.2, which must be "energized"/charged from an external DC supply. With that model we include a customized 36W SMPS as charger. We do not think there is any benefit to charging the UltraCap LPS-1.2 from a linear supply. [If you study the design of our UltraCap model, you will see that the bank of capacitors connected to the cascaded and paralleled ultra-low-noise output voltage regulators at any given moment are disconnected from the charging power domain. The other bank is being charged at that moment--and then we alternate.]

I hope the above information is helpful to you.  And welcome to the Audiophile Style forums!

--Alex C.