IGNORED

Volume Control | Roon vs Preamp

Hi Guys - I'm working on a review right now of one component, but I always have a component or two in the on-deck circle that I listen to as I'm finishing up the previous review. Right now I have the Ayre QB-9 DSD and QB-9 Twenty in the on-deck circle. These DACs contain no volume control. This leaves me a couple options for attenuation and I'd like to get some feedback / opinions on this one. I certainly know how the two options sound, so I don't need anyone to tell me what my own ears can hear, but personal experience and engineering information is certainly welcome. 

Option 1:

I can connect the QB-9 to my Constellation Audio Inspiration PreAmp 1.0 and use the Preamp's volume control.

Option 2:

I can connect the QB-9 directly to an amplifier(s) and use Roon's built-in 64-bit DSP volume control. 

Question: What do you guys think?

P.S. @Ryan Berry is certainly welcome to comment, as I'm using the Ayre components and will review them shortly. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

5 minutes ago, firedog said:

Does the pre have a remote? I always prefer that just from a convenience/ergonomic POV.

Also, with a software only control and a direct connection, I'd always worry that I'd accidentally blow the speakers.

Yes, the preamp has a remote for volume and other items. 

There's always a possibility of something going haywire with the Roon volume control approach, that's true. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

Ultimately this about reviewing a DAC with no level control, designed and intended for connection to a preamp, and should be reviewed that way.

We can ask Ayre about the company's intentions with respect to design. That will be helpful. I've always thought that products designed without volume control were to be used with product(s) that have volume control. Whether that's a passive attenuator or software based control shouldn't matter. 

7 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I would not use a software volume control unless it allowed you to set a  default safe volume  for application launch or reset.

I've tried opening and closing Roon many times and switching endpoints etc... and I can't get Roon to act strange. This is good. The volume is always at the level where I left off. 

Just now, Summit said:

I would love to be able to tell you why Roon's built-in 64-bit DSP volume control worsens the sound. In theory it shouldn’t, but in real life it does nevertheless. I don’t use the Roon DSP neither because if I enable it, even if am not changing any parameters, it degrades the sound.

Completely understood. There are quite a few things in this hobby that should or shouldn't work one way, but the end result is often different.