IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

The digital front end has made a lot of progress in the last years. Besides the DIY solutions, it’s great to see innovative turnkey products hit the market. Just to name a few I guess Antipodes is long known for its DX servers and now CX+EX combo, recently Silent Angel has introduced an affordable Rhein server (~ €1.500) and -on the opposite side of the spectrum- the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme server has received the highest appraisal from users and reviewers (at €24.000, see recent reviewed at 6moons). It kinda surprises me that the Grimm MU1 server went under the radar here at AS, so -with more spare time at hand these weeks- good to share and introduce this server here.

Coincidence or not, in about 1.5 hour drive from Taiko Audio another Dutch high end manufacture is located: Grimm Audio. Currently mostly known for its ultra-low jitter clocks (aimed at studio’s with Guido Tent) and LS1 speaker system line up, Grimm Audio has recently launched its MU1 server (€9.800). In short the MU1 is a Roon core server with Grimms oscillators, the inhouse developed power supply, endpoint with an inhouse designed FPGA board as the magic ingredient (which converts / up- or down samples to the desired format). Like other Grimm products, the MU1 is upgradable overtime (upgrade of the existing components and placement of a internal DAC).

The most interesting thing for me is that the FPGA is aimed to match the outgoing digital signal with the ‘default/native’ bit depth/sample rate of the connected DAC. For me this was a new approach, only later I discovered that Auralic has a similar approach with the Sirius G2 Upsampling Processor (€ 6.300). I’m not an expert by any means so I prefer to link to an interview where Eelco Grimm gives a proper explanation (time stamp, English subs). Have I been sleeping for years, or have more servers/streamers applied this DAC matching-approach?

Quick links for a fast introduction/understanding:

MU1 Interview Eelco Grimm (English subs)
The “Pure Nyquist” filters of the MU1

Company overview Hans Beekhuyzen
Productpage and reviews (6Moon has also a review of the MU1 lined up)

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, no shares or affiliation, just intrigued. I haven’t heard the version in the 2018 XFI event, I believe it was their first prototype in public!? Sorry to hear you where underwhelmed.

I first encountered the MU1 at the 2019 XFI event, in the Grimm Roon (together with the LS1be’s) and in a room using Kroma speakers, Zanden amps and Mola Mola DAC. I really liked both! Later I listened at a dealer (BB&G).

Recently a firmware-update has been released, which apparently brought some improvements (haven’t heard this). When you live close to the Netherlands, perhaps you have a chance to listen to the current/latest version?

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for XFI / Dutch Audio Event this year, hopefully corona is on its return by then..

On 4/12/2020 at 4:10 PM, nevillekapadia said:

I have a DAC with a USB input that upsamples everything to double DSD, but having trialled the Grimm 176.4 or 192 sampling via AES/EBU it will outshine the USB output due to it's FPGA card. 

Mixing and matching the server/streamer and DAC is growing on me. Good to see you echo the findings 6moons where they favoured the MU1 / TotalDAC D1 combination via AES/EBU without upsampling in the DAC:

“Throughout the listening period we switched between TotalDAC and T+A DAC 8 and each time found the TotalDAC in non-oversampling mode to be the preferred partner. “

With my limited technical knowledge on mixing and matching, as far as I now understand important point of attention are:

- connection type (USB, AES/EBU, I2S, ..)

- cable used for connection (connector, wire, shielding, ..)

- location and quality of the clock* and jitter level

- native ‘converter format’ of the DAC and output of the server/streamer

- upsampling and the quality of it

Very interesting to better understand these design subjects, but the more I read reviews or forums, the better I realise my technical insights are quite a bit under developed. I guess the list above is just a faction of the real world ‘matching criteria’. Bottom line that it’s all about synergy, and personal preferences of course.

* as an example, I even barely understand how this also relates to master & slave clocks and/or PLL & FLL. Way over my head I’m afraid 🙃 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, McNulty said:

@FredM or you could wait for the MU2.

Thanks. For synergy between the steamer and the DAC, the MU2 could be interesting. In my situation I won’t need a DAC.

On 4/20/2020 at 3:42 PM, johnli said:

I think the MU2 is basically a MU1 with analog output

correct me if I'm wrong

cheers!

In the interview Eelco Grimm (see OP for link) gave some details on the benefits cutting of the ‘internal format converter’ in the DAC chip/module.

Ps. MU1 is installed at home and it’s freaking good, more later

17 hours ago, beautiful music said:

😄 👌🏽

I'm not that hurry, take your time and give us a comprehensive review.

What is your previous server configuration?

Ps: don't forget to post some of photos as well😉.

Haha, don’t hold your breath for a comprehensive product review like @romaz, @austinpop and @Nenon occasionally share. My technical and writing skills less developed. Btw: On the Grimm site you’ll find several extensive reviews, with a little help from google translate you can read the full reviews. I’ll focus on my journey/reasoning and listening experience. 

28 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Excellent Fred, I think you made all the right choices, fantastic system.

What is the size of your audio room?

Happy listening 👂 

Thanks Ricky, it’s a dedicated listening room, 4x5,2m (approx 13x17 feet), with side and front wall panels and bass traps in the front corners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, FredM said:

Can't edit the opening post, here's another MU1 interview. Eelco Grimm and Guido Tent give some details on developing the MU1 (some go over my head), followed with a review by Jason Kennedy from The Ear.

Apparently the link has been changed, hope this one sticks:

7 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

You did say "objectively."🙄

I understand, please don’t take it too serious, consider it as an alternative to share/indicate my listening experience (which is personal, etc). As we all know how it’s feels when we’re touched by music.

It’s even possible to move towards a more scientific approach to measure the (emotional) effect/connection if you want, I just found this goosebump sensor 🙃 (But please in an other topic, not keen to open a can of worms). 

15 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Fred,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can I ask why you use Roon volume control instead of that on your preamp?

Surely there is some loss in transparency using the software volume control.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I understand your question, I’ll try to answer. Please let me start saying that in case the MU1 is used in combination with a Grimm LS1 speaker system ( =my situation), the MU1 acts as the ‘pre-amp’. There is a proprietary connection, carrying both audio data and control data between MU1 and LS1’s  (I won’t go in detail how the LS1 work. On the Grimm’s site you can find a white paper with schematics etc and much more in depth information).

In addition to the proprietary LS1 output, the MU1 has two other outputs to connect a (3th party) DAC with. One of them can also output a volume controlled signal to the DAC. One of those might be suited for you.

I remember that in an interview Eelco Grimm has explained the design of the MU1 volume control. I believe the volume setting/calculation is done on the FPGA board and that it would be very difficult to hear a difference, if any compared with a external pre-amp/volume control. So with the Roon app you’re controlling the FPGA board directly, not Roon’s volume calculations. (I did have a quick look for you, but couldn’t find the specific fragment of the interview.)

The disc on top of the MU1 also acts as the volume control (I rarely use it, as the MU1 sits in a cabinet), I very much like the convenience of the app, everything at the touch of my fingers. 

In my experience I don’t notice a degree of anything using the MU1 to control the volume and very much fancy the convenience. I haven’t compared with a top notch external pre-amp/volume control device in between. I love the simplicity with the MU1.

Cheers, Fred

• 1 month later...

Nice Grimm Audio company overview by Alpha Audio. In this extended interview (1h50!) various topics are covered, like company history, background of Eelco Grimm and Guido Tent (both lecturers), what’s drives them, design philosophy, network company, new products, ..

On the MU1 the power supply, clock circuitry, jitter treatment, importance of up scaling via the FPGA board and the in-house software development are mentioned. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=6YPznUzSRB0&feature=emb_logo

The interview is in English (after ~30 seconds), for quick access you can use the timestamps in the description on Youtube.

707EA97E-641D-4F19-A6EB-1CF8B8E7D179.jpeg

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

as the Extreme and (to a lesser extent) the Statement are too big and heavy for my downsizing aspirations.

Hi, given your size / decluttering preference, have you considered other options? (Antipodes, Pinkfaun,..?) If not, a straightforward route is to ask for a home audition directly. At home you can also better experience the effortlessness play of the MU1.

4 hours ago, matthias said:

I followed the discussion about the subpar Roon SQ after a certain release on the Roon community forum and the Taiko Audio thread on WBF and must say the Roon people are quite arrogant, I dislike Roon.

Matt

Personally I just love Roon, great experience and easy to have everything at the touch of my finger: Discovering new music with Roon radio, easy volume control, etc.. If Roon would impact SQ a bit (which I haven’t noticed with the MU1), I guess it would be okay given all benefits of Roon. Earlier you mentioned that you don’t fancy a product that is bound to Roon. Well, perhaps this approach is an advantage to create an optimised package.

Off topic: I’m actually kinda surprised that on the WBF thread Taiko owners report such an apparently big decrease in SQ with Roon (two recent: “Roon is barely listenable..” and “absolutely horrible..”). There could be a degradation using Roon, but I haven’t seen such extreme comments elsewhere. So perhaps it’s related for a specific combination of used hard- and software. Nice to read the users are happy with TAS btw, so all good.

@TheAttorneyWith the recent firmware update up- and down sampling to 2FS is now supported, this matches the AES input of your DAC (also both AES outputs are volume controlled since the last firmware)

19 minutes ago, matthias said:

Not for me, I appreciate the efforts of Taiko Audio to get rid of Roon and to get the best sounding SW.

SW has a similar or even greater impact on SQ as HW.

Matt

Everybody has their own preferences, all good

34 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

Is this firmware related to MU1 or to Roon?

Ah sorry, I was talking about the MU1 firmware

https://www.grimmaudio.com/news/new-firmware-for-mu1/

2 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

I've only just realised the significance of this.

My DAVE AES input's limit is 96kHz. And I've just checked that my M-Scaler doesn't even have an AES input!

Which severely restricts the options I have with MU1's AES output.

The proof of the pudding will be in the hearing, but these limitations (not particularly MU1's fault) mean that I may not get the full potential of the MU1 with my Chord equipment, so may need a Plan B sooner than I had expected ☹️.

In this fragment you can find an explanation what the FPGA does, and why AES-out is chosen. I don’t know how AES-96 will pair with the DAVE DAC. Indeed, the proof of the pudding is in the hearing 😀

56 minutes ago, lmitche said:

Greater, for sure.

Somehow I was quoted without typing the message 😁😁😁