IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

After reading this thread, I am really looking forward to this coming weekend - as have an MU1 coming to visit so I can listen to the pairing with my D&D 8C’s.  Will also try it into a Vega 2.1 DAC which I have on loan and finally compare against a Linn KDS 3 (Katalyst) 

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
28 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

Interesting. Where did you position these footers? Directly under the stock footers, or directly connected to the underplate?

And did you try 3 or 4 footers?

I tried multiple configurations of 3 and 4 footers at different positions under the stock footers and baseplate.  With the iso pods, I kept coming back to placing them under the stock footers.  I think the position of the existing footer is integral to the sonic design. Also bear in mind the MU1 has most of its weight over the rear and rear left corner.  Rear left Iso Pod and rear right (adjust in pairs) needing most adjustment to level the MU1 when using the Pods.  Each time 4 sounded best to me, regardless of footer type where placed on baseplate. As said before,  I have come to the conclusion the baseplate is tuned with the stock footers as being integral to the sonic signature 

3 hours ago, PYP said:

@Evo1668, does your ER feed the MU1?  And have you tried the MU1 without it?

Yes the ER feeds the MU1 from the ‘A’ side.  No I have not tried MU1 into a standard switch. 

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, FredM said:

Back in business, an internal SSD is installed 👍. The NAS won’t be replaced, it was primarily used for music files anyway, so another device bites the dust.

Moving music to the SSD was easier then expected. Now I only need to figure out how to make a Roon backup on the pc.

Which SSD did you install?   Did you install this yourself or did your dealer do it for you.  I was thinking of upgrading my SSD 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:51 PM, AnAndGate said:

I had a question for those with a MM Tambaqui and Grimm MU1, which unit do you use to control volume. Is one supposed to be superior to the other? thanks

I don’t have a Tambaqui DAC, but your question spurred me on to finally check against my D&D speakers, which has the DAC in the speaker.  The DAC (8C) controlling volume sounds to my ears superior (even more goosebumps) versus controlling the volume in the MU1 itself.  Unfortunately I do lose the convenience of controlling the volume through Roon using MU1 is a downside for me - although the D&D uses an app called Ascend which I can control volume fairly easily using my phone. Controlling volume with other Dacs of course may vary…..

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, skatbelt said:

I think they are quite close. Initially the Kii three's impress more due to a somewhat sharper placement of elements in the sound stage. But after longer listening, they are also a bit more edgy and fatiguing. The Dutch & Dutch 8C's in comparison are a bit more relaxed (musical?) and have a deeper low end. Differences are fairly marginal.

I miss the real connection with the music in both. As I indicated in a previous post, I suspect that this is due to the built-in DAC's (jitter reduction, reconstruction filters, etc.) and to a lesser extent to the source. May be also the side effects of the intensive DSP. I have not heard them in combination with the MU1 but I can well imagine that this will be a big improvement compared to lesser digital sources.

I’ve been an 8C user for 3 years now and with the MU1 it is a sublime listening experience. I’ve recently discovered volume control is best at end of chain closest to speaker ie 8C; even greater level of transparency. Will have to compare back on the MU1 see if the upgrade has improved the digital volume 

• 6 months later...

Eelco  replied to one of the first UK reviews of the MU1 by The Ear two years ago in it he states

https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/grimm-audio-mu1-digital-hub-network-streamer-server/

“it is interesting to read that Jason prefers to disable the MU1 upsampling, and also the internal fpga upsampling of the iFi DAC (“bit perfect’ mode). The iFi DAC has a custom ‘interleaved’ construction of 4 Burr-Brown DAC chips. It makes me wonder if this DAC topology for some reason performs better when fed with a lower sample rate. It is hard to tell. In any case just like iFi we offered the option to turn the fpga upsampling off to check which setting offers the best sound quality. Usually upsampling wins, but you never know. For example, with some pop albums, the ‘edge’ that lower quality upsamplers in DAC chips offer was part of the decision making during mastering and could be missed by some.”

Eelco Grimm, Grimm Audio

• 5 months later...

I think I must be an outlier of MU1 owners not using the usual aes cables mentioned on here - one cable I have been bowled over with which I do use with the MU1 is the lesser known Anticables from Paul Speltz - sounds extremely musical to me and Paul offers a complete money back guarantee 

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, FredM said:

A while ago Hans Beekhuyzen reviewed the Townshend pods/platform with his MU1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzOkoeDOkc&list=PLMbsmejHnP8EK7U6mfXbimY6AGvU9yCc-&index=4

It seems a review of the new Stack Audio equipment isolators is pending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-q_zpw4l1M&list=PLMbsmejHnP8Hu8ALOlQPSgtKmpF6fnI5P 

I can attest to using the Townshend pods beneath the MU1 - currently experimenting using these along with the metal disc part from the smallest HRS footers which the MU1 feet make contact with - have tried footers/pods at various points beneath MU1, but always prefer isolation contact directly with MU1 feet/blocks which  have their own form of isolation built in. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

How did you remove the stock footers? Did you have to take MU1's top plate off to unscrew them from the inside?

I remember your post earlier this year about being very impressed by the Townsend Seismic pods, but didn't you place them directly under the stock footers? What made you change?

I was tempted to try the pods, but I didn't like their very obvious appearance, nor their price at £120 per footer, which was more than I was prepared to spend. So I'm pleased the Auva's compared so well to the pods.

You have to open up the case to remove the stock footers. Just make sure you use an exact Phillips screwdriver head as it is easy to damage the existing countersunk bolts. Bear in mind the front right inner bolt is an upright that is attached to the footer and clamps a cable coming from one of the SSD drives. Not sure if this affects the integrity of the cable as an attachment point, although it is a stiff cable and doesn’t move at all - I had no way of refitting the post sans removal of this footer leaving the cable unclamped. 

I used the pods as I was already using the seismic podiums as platforms under my 8C Speakers and they do reveal a wealth of hidden wonders from your existing speakers - but they are quite pricey as speaker platforms but as I said reveal what your speakers are capable of actually achieving 

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ronnie112 said:

Of course all depends on the circumstances and your power grid. In mine I have a nasty DC offset, which unfortunately makes transformers hum from time to time. Both in amps as in isolation transformers, so that doesn't do the trick for me. With the filters used so far I found some change for the MU1 and MU2, but not necessarily an improvement.

@PYP tried it yesterday without the Flux50 and into the Puritan 156 filter. Next to some additional blackness and ambient details I could hear the sonic fingerprint of the filter through the MU2. Which is not necessarily a good thing, since I find the filter to add some glare/edginess and artificiality which I don't really like so far. Maybe it needs to settle in or another power cable between wall outlet and filter, I don't know. So for now I'll keep the MU2 on its own dedicated power circuit (with nice fuses) with a Flux-50 killing some noise and EMI in the last inches.

Didn't try filters like Shunyata Denali or (the latest buzz here in NL) Sygnus. They will definitely yield good results, if it was not my DC offset upsetting things. 

Agree fully with the ethernet remark. Heard clear differences upgrading ethernet cables and switches, which is a good thing as you can further improve on an already excellent product.

Did you try the Ultimate cable with the 156.  There’s quite a few very positive reports using the Puritan Ultimate cable between the wall socket and the 156 and further improvements after a settling in period - sterile/artificial sounding being a common initial first observation by many.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 11:46 PM, FredM said:

Welcome 👍

Based on the available first hand experiences the MU2 pre-amp is not a byproduct. So far it seems to perform at least around the €6K - 10K price range for the pre amp only (also see comments in the video reviews from Hans Beekhuyzen and Alpha Audio). 

I’m afraid I can’t help you here, I have very limited DSD content. I just press play 🙂

Nope. SQ wise it doesn’t matter if you use the internal MUx Roon core or an external Roon core. An external Roon core is convenient for very/extremely large music collections (smoother navigation).

Fully agree, besides the SQ I also very much value an intuitive user experience for navigation and to discover new music. Roon is my favorite. At home Roon also controls other streaming speakers (kids & living room), very simple and convenient for everyone.

Thanks, after trying out 5 different conditioners/filters (with prices over €5000) on my Grimm set, I prefer the pure Grimm set, which closed the conditioner chapter for me (ps. I just searched for the Shunyata Everest and Omega cable, I’m not tempted 🙂)

Thanks for sharing 👍 

On the conditioner mains front for the MU1 has anyone else tried the LessLoss 640x firewalls into the Grimm?   I tried one a few nights ago into the back of the Grimm - a spare which I forgot I still had in storage following our big move last year.  It sounded damn good, takes it to foot tapping amazing. I’ve been running the 640x for a while into the back of my 8C speakers and I read somewhere that running these firewalls in series to your main source,  improves things even further by some margin.  So I removed the two from the speakers and connect the speakers directly into the PS Audio PPP.  Now i currently have three of them in series on the MU1 -  foot tappingly stunning - the music surrounds you and just sucks you in.  I’m leaving things like this for the next few weeks and then I’ll remove them and see if the magic is still there, or if there is something else going on 

I know it doesn’t make sense - I never got my head around the technology, they do go into lots of detail on their website about it and I think the manufacturing process is quite intense for these devices. You can build one yourself (they do a diy version of the firewall - if you’re ok with wielding a soldering iron) which makes price of entry a lot less wallet stretching - in fact the one I tried first into the Grimm was one I built myself - try the stock Grimm cable instead and save on the Shunyata