IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

I was told MU2 could be one year away, if you can wait😅

I couldn't... Now waiting for delivery of MU1. 

Gigawatt PF2 >> Paul Pang Quad >> Allo DigiOne Signature (w Shanti power supply) >> Grimm Audio MU1 >> Holo Audio Spring Wild Edition >> Leben CS600 >> Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

All Audiolund cables (Extreme + Silver) 

• 1 month later...

Do you guys prefer the NOS, 2FS or 4FS modes? 

To me, NOS has a more down to earth tonality versus what I hear on oversampling. However, oversampling does bring out the (insert your favourite audiophile qualities) but, to my ears, at the expense of slight thinning of tonality. 

If you do not compare, both oversampling modes do sound really amazing, especially on large scale orchestral music where it brings out the scale and depth really well. Good thing is we do have a choice which mode to listen to for what we prefer.

I guess my innocent question is which is more what the studios intended, is oversampling considered artificial or is this what hi-end is all about?

Gigawatt PF2 >> Paul Pang Quad >> Allo DigiOne Signature (w Shanti power supply) >> Grimm Audio MU1 >> Holo Audio Spring Wild Edition >> Leben CS600 >> Harbeth SHL5+ 40th Anniversary

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks FredM for your thoughts. You have a point on the Grimm philosophy. 

I did read an article that mentions oversampling helps to reduce noise caused by timing jitter. This is probably why MU1 is implemented with oversampling as preferred mode. Music is so effortless, clean and focused that I can only call it a magical experience.

BTW, 4FS is also my preferred mode to establish the emotional connection with the music. 

• 1 month later...

So far, I've gather from some of the helpful feedback in this forum that synergies can be gotten to ekk out "something" extra by using the PhoenixNet and Sablon AES. Really intrigues me... 

May I know what DACs do you folks use with MU1? 

Yes, you are right, many more tweaks can be explored. It's just that whenever I read experiences that something supposedly non-trivial or magical comes along, I have to imagine how it improves the quality I'm already getting, so just intrigued until I take the next step... which led to the acquisition of the MU1. 😅 

BTW, I'm still on stock power, generic Lan and TPR AES cables.