IGNORED

Grimm Audio MU1 and MU2 Music Players

FredM

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I still have the MU1 in my sights as a potential upgrade to my existing tweaked NUC with Euphony Stylus server,

But Covid restrictions has meant that my intended 3-way comparison of MU1, Innuos Statement and Taiko Mini Extreme have been pushed into the new year.

And as the Mini has taken a priority back-step in Taiko's pipeline, the comparison will probably be with the Extreme itself. I have no intention of buying the Extreme because of excessive size, weight and cost, but I am nevertheless curious how the MU1 will compare.

One of the features I like about the MU1 is that volume can controlled from the roon app, but the actual volume change is made by the MU1 (maybe in the fpga?). Which is important because roon's internal volume control significantly impacts SQ IMO.

Whilst waiting for this comparison, can anyone allay a couple of nagging concerns:

1. How does the MU1 perform with an m-scaler/DAVE DAC? Which has it's own fpga-based upscaler that upscales to a greater extent than MU1's. To reduce box count, I'd quite like to drop the m-scaler if the MU1 makes it largely redundant. But the details of the upscaling process are very different and I don't know how this multi-way synergy would work.

2. Bearing in mind that roon's internal volume control sounds poor IMO, has anyone tried other roon DSP functions such as PEQ or cross-feed? It would be a big bonus if the MU1's magic somehow managed to minimise any loss of transparency in roon's DSP.

You want to try removing all filters in the Roon DSP section. There are claims that this improves SQ.

I have done the same here, and there may indeed be a slight SQ increase.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio