IGNORED

Mola Mola Kula integrated amplifier

30 minutes ago, Matias said:

Mola Mola: the Kula integrated amplifier

Kula_studio_3.jpg.648x460_q85.jpg.d435efdd15df65a982f9d58f94e5b53e.jpg

Beautiful.  Thanks for posting.  Have been dreaming about this integrated since it was first proposed (years ago) and in the meantime collected my current gear (which is going to stay as is).  They certainly put a lot of technology and good sound into a small package. 

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 5 months later...
57 minutes ago, Matias said:

Very unlikely. As far as I know, Mola Mola and Hypex are sister companies.

From their website contact info:

Hypex Electronics
Kattegat 8 
9723JP Groningen 

+31(0)505264993
[email protected]

Mola-Mola.nl

Kattegat 8

9723JP Groningen

Tel: +31(0)505264993

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Rexp said:

Steve likes digital playback so not a big deal that he likes this class D amp. Now if Fremer agreed, I'd take notice. 

To me, one of the most interesting parts of the video is when he talks about vinyl playback.  He clearly enjoys both digital and vinyl playback and, as he says, uses each for a different listening experiences.  In the world of audiophile absolutes, where folks state that one or the other is seriously flawed or evil, I found this refreshing and open minded.  In the same way, he explained the positive aspects that a tube integrated brought to his listening experience as well as what it lacked when compared to a different approach (the Kula).  This was a balanced review (please don't tell me single-ended is your preference ;) ).  

His main sticking point with the Kula is price and there is a comment that says something like:  Great video, Steve.  Can you make another video for my kids telling them why they won't be going to college?   For folks who don't follow the astronomical prices in this hobby, that is probably a typical, and certainly valid, reaction. 

Personally, since I already enjoy Mola Mola gear, the big benefit of this video was the music he mentioned.   A quick lookup in Roon and addition to a playlist and they are ready to explore.  Good stuff.  

27 minutes ago, Perfect sense said:

The price is well in line with the higher end Integrated amps on this level from the competition (Accuphase, Boulder, Ypsilon etc.). The difference might be that it's Class D - designed, developed and manufacturered by one of the leading authorities in the business (Bruno Putzeys).

I believe that you get what you pay for in terms of engineering, design and performance from this amp. Add the DAC and streaming module, and you've got a complete, world class system for digital sources.

This amp shows a path towards the future of high end audio imho. High performing, efficient, compact and elegant.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

If the Kula had been available when I purchased my Mola Mola separates, I would have gone down that path instead.   One "High performing, efficient, compact and elegant" box and an ethernet connection.  Done. 

24 minutes ago, RickyV said:

Ok that’s an other option but I do not need all does analog inputs, I have none. But would the Tambaqui with its digital volume control have the same sound signature and musicality as the Kula

I can't answer that since I haven't made the comparison, but the Tambaqui straight to Kaluga (no preamp), sounds pretty darn good.   Very musical.  A music enjoyment machine.  Sounds very similar to live, if that is what you want.  Using the Tambaqui as a streamer does require work to rid ethernet of the noise it carries.  

• 3 months later...
On 5/17/2021 at 2:06 AM, Perfect sense said:

The alternative to the Kula integrated with the DAC and Streamer module would be the stand alone Tambaqui DAC/Streamer + Makua preamp + Kaluga mono amps or the Tambaqui directly to the Kaluga mono's.

Is the addition of a Makua preamp to a setup using the Tambaqui directly to Kalugas (my current setup) a subtle change?  I would assume the Makua has a better volume control, but there is an additional set of ICs as well.

• 2 months later...
33 minutes ago, Matias said:

For those of us who find the Mola Mola gear reasonably priced for the performance provided, this integrated is a "bargain."  If you just wanted a digital integrated, you can have a DAC/streamer/Roon endpoint/preamp -- all world class -- and the need for only one power cord and, if ethernet is used as the input for example, no interconnects. I think it is great they include phono inputs even though I don't use a TT.