IGNORED

Will replacing an Emotiva DR3 with Parasound A31 be an upgrade?

I have a Emotiva XPA-2 which I'm not currently not using.  A while back I was looking for a new amplifier to run my Goldenear Triton 5's and/or my Legacy Calibre speakers.  At the time I ended up with PS Audio Stellar 700 mono blocks (class D) which gave those speakers far deeper bass response then the Emotiva amp ever could.  The mids were about the same and the treble was a little laid back compared to the Emotiva amp.  Through a series of calls I was able to upgrade to PS Audio's BHK 250 stereo amplifier and that amp gave me the bass response of the Stellar 700's and the mid range clarity and treble that I was looking for.  During this evaluation a friend of mine borrowed me his Parasound A21 (older model) amplifier.  This amplifier was fantastic for the price.  It far outweighed the Emotiva in punch and dynamics.  I thick part of that was the class A operation until you pass 10 watts.  I only had it in my system for about a week then went back to PS Audio's BHK's.  I would imagine the John Curl line of amps by Parasound (JC) would be as good or better then PS Audio's.  If I was to go back to amp/speaker setup, I'd consider the JC 1+ as my last amplifier.  In the future I'm looking at all in one setups (Kii's, D&D, B&O).

For the money Emotiva is great for power and price, especially in a home theater setup.  I'd seriously consider PS Audio's class D amps.  But you will be very happy with Parasounds amplification.  Hopefully you can demo any amp your considering with your Emotiva.  PS Audio allows this.  Not trying to influence you toward PS Audio, it's just a comparison of what I had at the time.  I also love that Parasound has auto start up and shut down with their amps, along with standard 12 volt triggers.  This is important if your just running a DAC straight into your amps.  

Good Luck,

Shawn

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet