IGNORED

Corona Virus

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

That should also include the bags used for deliveries from the Supermarket,  even when they are left at the front door .

You should wash your hands after unpacking,  and putting away the bags for return with the next delivery. 

I have read that Covid-19 can survive up to one week on surfaces. The disease appears to be more easily transmitted by contact than direct airborne droplet spray

Sound Minds Mind Sound

31 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I have read that Covid-19 can survive up to one week on surfaces. The disease appears to be more easily transmitted by contact than direct airborne droplet spray

Yes, I have read that too. The risk with home delivery plastic bags should be relatively low, especially if you put them aside and only shop once a week .

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

48 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

No!
The virus appears to bind to the ACE2 receptor in the lung — zinc competes. 

Inhaling a flying goober is the best way to get it. Opening the mail isn’t. ;) 

Unfortunately because we aren’t testing asymptotic folks we don’t know how widespread it is already.  

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

27 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Jon

By now most sensible  people will be well aware of the need to keep a distance of >1.5M if possible, so that shouldn't  normally be a problem unless someone sneezes directly in your direction.

Even shared family cutlery may be a problem unless it's sterilised properly.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Earlier today I read that Corona Virus was found in empty cruise ship rooms up to 17 days after it was last inhabited by people who tested positive for Coronavirus.

Second, no matter the material, practice good cleanliness, sanitizer, hand washing, etc...

And being sneezed on is an excellent way to contract the disease. I also read today that it was found that 1 person on a bus infected a bunch of people who the subject had not interacted with, some of whom were 15 feet away.

No electron left behind.

7 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Second, no matter the material, practice good cleanliness, sanitizer, hand washing, etc...

And being sneezed on is an excellent way to contract the disease. I also read today that it was found that 1 person on a bus infected a bunch of people who the subject had not interacted with, some of whom were 15 feet away.

Hand rails etc. perhaps ?

We had 39 guests at a wedding party infected just before the close range warnings were issued

1 hour ago, jabbr said:
2 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

No!
The virus appears to bind to the ACE2 receptor in the lung — zinc competes. 

Hi Jonathan

Don't underestimate infectious transmission through contact. I read on a couple of occasions from sources that should be reliable that touching surfaces contaminated with virus was a more common way of contracting the disease. I have no evidence with stats or hard figures but possibly it relates to many in the public thinking that only being coughed upon is a threat.

One virologist went so far as to say a mask is only good for stopping you touching your face. I think this is misleading. Certainly most authorities are recommending at least P2/N95 or better as a barrier to inhaling the virus. I know if someone was to cough virus laden droplets in my direction I would rather be wearing a mask, any mask. I would then remove the mask and dispose of it.

I also read it is specific to respiratory cells. so yes anyone shedding the virus by coughing droplet spray and when that lands on the mucosa of nose or mouth (oropharynx) the virus can be inhaled to enter the lungs. Although not certain the implication is that you cannot get it through other body fluids like blood or sex. BUT the latter is probably the fastest way to get it via breathing in close proximity to someone who is infected.

I also read about zinc maybe playing a protective role but obviously not a reliable prophylaxis.

Again, if infected droplets land on surfaces, including your mail, and you touch it and then touch your nose or mouth (as we do) you risk infection. Thus the need for hand washing and sanitizing surfaces, wearing gloves when appropriate.

Lets all be as safe as possible

Sound Minds Mind Sound

4 hours ago, Allan F said:

Fabric bags may be even better as "porous surfaces [such as fabric] don't allow viruses to survive as long because the small spaces or holes in them can trap the microbe and prevent its transfer" according to Rachel Graham, an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina.

These are rapidly being warned against using as they are considerably more suspect than long ago made pallets of bags the store itself provides.  Largely for the reason stated below.    

54 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Don't underestimate infectious transmission through contact. I read on a couple of occasions from sources that should be reliable that touching surfaces contaminated with virus was a more common way of contracting the disease. I have no evidence with stats or hard figures but possibly it relates to many in the public thinking that only being coughed upon is a threat.

That surface include the one place almost everything heavy than the air lands on.  The one you walk into your elderly or infirmed family member's residence on.  Drop your supplies on to take your shoes off.  Probably should be treating just as seriously as your hands and face.  Cleaning the floor and not what potentially transferred Covid-19 to it is concerning.  That includes the fabric shopping bags you picked up off it to go shopping.

13 hours ago, rando said:

These are rapidly being warned against using as they are considerably more suspect than long ago made pallets of bags the store itself provides.  Largely for the reason stated below.    

That surface include the one place almost everything heavy than the air lands on.  The one you walk into your elderly or infirmed family member's residence on.  Drop your supplies on to take your shoes off.  Probably should be treating just as seriously as your hands and face.  Cleaning the floor and not what potentially transferred Covid-19 to it is concerning.  That includes the fabric shopping bags you picked up off it to go shopping.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

The other piece to this is the economy.  Half 401k almost gone.  F'ng media, many of whom do more harm then good.  Pathetic.  NONE of us will have jobs if this continues for too long. 

No one knows the answer and how this will play out, but at some point we have to get back to some degree of normalcy. When this situation dies down, whats going to happen in 6mos, 1yr when this happens again?

We (US) were too slow in getting prepared for what most everyone saw coming.  I'm really just putting another perspective on this / devil's advocate and in no way do politics need to enter this discussion, this isn't the place for it.

My rig

FYI 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

I am saying that airborne inhalation is by far the most effective way to transmit this infection. 

If the mail were a reliable way to transmit, then the spread could be tracked from manufacturing plants where products are made (for mail order) or from Amazon warehouses, or from infected Postal employees. 

Instead the pattern of infection appears related to population density. Our current data suggests that transmission occurs mostly when in range for aerosolized droplets.

Theres also the concept that you need a certain inoculum to effectively infect. 

It’s complicated. What is fascinating is why Tokyo does not have an outbreak. Stay tuned.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

This is contrary to the advice of experts who state that the most common means of transmission is breathing air containing droplets resulting from a person sneezing or coughing. Nevertheless, the danger of becoming infected by touching contaminated surfaces and then touching your nose, mouth or eyes must still be taken seriously.

Regarding masks, the general recommendation has long been that those who are not infected should not wear masks. Today, however, this is essential because of  the acute shortage of masks, which demands that they be reserved for only health care workers on the front lines or those infected. The CEO of 3M. one of the major suppliers, has stated that none of their masks should be sold to the public because of the critical needs of doctors and nurses treating the sick.

The risk of becoming infected from the mail is considered to be very low, but extreme caution would suggest that it would not be unreasonable to wash ones hands after handling the mail. Personally, I wear gloves when I collect mine.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

6 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Someone posted this on twitter:

You're gonna see "coronavirus can live for 17 days on surfaces!" Incorrect. *Viral RNA* was detectable after 17 days. Saying that live virus is there because viral RNA was found is like saying I must be holding a meatball sub because there's a marinara stain on my pants.

Twitter is of course a stellar source of accurate information...

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, Allan F said:

Warned against by whom? Sorry, I don't follow you. First of all my bags, which were purchased long before the coronavirus appeared, never touch the floor. Moreover, why would a porous fabric bag be more suspect than a smooth paper bag when viruses are known to generally last longer on smooth surfaces?

So don't follow.  At least consider taking "me" out of the equation and applying the idea to the population at large.  Even if this is of secondary, tertiary, or an even more distant concern compared to the never pleasant circumstance of walking away from encountering someone wetter than you entered it.  

Grocery stores, and those brave enough to show up to work, are doing anything possible to protect them and their work environment.  To remove any chance of infection entering the one place even the locales with militia patrolling the streets allow a break in curfew to visit.

43 minutes ago, rando said:

So don't follow.  At least consider taking "me" out of the equation and applying the idea to the population at large.  Even if this is of secondary, tertiary, or an even more distant concern compared to the never pleasant circumstance of walking away from encountering someone wetter than you entered it

Relax! There was nothing personal or "you" in the equation. I was simply seeking more information. Your post disagreed with what I had posted. I included the source of my information and the reason for it. I was simply asking for the source of yours and an explanation of why that should be so. That might be enlightening for many apart from me. As I am sure you know, there is a lot of misinformation about the coronavirus being spread.